Thread: UCI Board of Fisheries - Proposal 104

Default UCI Board of Fisheries - Proposal 104

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

This proposal isn’t going to go anywhere. Everybody knows we can harvest our way back to abundance.

The link isn't working for me.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Quote Originally Posted by twodux View Post
    The link isn't working for me.
    Adobe reader installed? It's a PDF.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

This is a proposal based on no science and designed to eliminate the eastside set net fishery while allowing the guide industry to have a full fishery with catch and release. The low returns to date are not due to harvest or spawning limitations.

Nerka, With your experience then, what do you think is the cause?

Quote Originally Posted by 35fathoms View Post
    Nerka, With your experience then, what do you think is the cause?
    What we know and what we do not know. What we know is that chinook along the whole coast from Alaska to California are not producing well. So that would indicate a marine issue and of course if you have been following the news other species are suffering from warmer and acidic ocean waters. What we do not know is how freshwater survival is doing in this changing global environment. What we also do not know is the impact of predator impacts on chinook - both warm blooded and cold blooded pink salmon and hatcheries. There has been some papers suggesting the hatchery production world wide is having an impact. I think we need to ask the right questions and go get answers. We had good chinook production at the present levels of spawning in the past which suggest spawning numbers are not the issue.

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
    What we know and what we do not know. What we know is that chinook along the whole coast from Alaska to California are not producing well. So that would indicate a marine issue and of course if you have been following the news other species are suffering from warmer and acidic ocean waters. What we do not know is how freshwater survival is doing in this changing global environment. What we also do not know is the impact of predator impacts on chinook - both warm blooded and cold blooded pink salmon and hatcheries. There has been some papers suggesting the hatchery production world wide is having an impact. I think we need to ask the right questions and go get answers. We had good chinook production at the present levels of spawning in the past which suggest spawning numbers are not the issue.
    Let's not overlook that Killer Whales target large salmon. There is no shortage of killer whales. Or seals, or sea otters.....
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Supporting Member

Or sea lions.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Or sea lions.
    I would agree with nerka and I think what he is trying to say is changing regulations is not going to help ask or to help answer questions about what we do not know about the fish. The priorities are wrong. I agree with him.