View Poll Results: If you could only choose one location to make a wolverine set where would it be?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Large secluded lake

2 18.18%
  • Swamp, muskeg, marsh

0 0%
  • Heavily vegetated small creek

0 0%
  • Small secluded ponds with black spruce

1 9.09%
  • Beaver pond

4 36.36%
  • Low lying timber (black spruce forest)

0 0%
  • Rolling hills (white spruce/aspens)

4 36.36%

Thread: Best Wolverine Set Locations

Default Best Wolverine Set Locations

This might seem like a weird question or post, but I am specifically wanting some information about wolverine sets so please bear with me and just answer the poll as best as you can without getting into any hypothetical situations.

Okay, I know the choices are limited, and probably not the best choices, but there is a reason why I made this post. The area I primarily trap is not the best wolverine location. In fact in the 5-10 years that I have been trapping, hunting the area, I have never cut a set of wolverine tracks. I'm sure there are a few around. Wolverine are probably all over the state, I just think they just inhabit the area so infrequently that the possibility of finding one or taking one is extremely rare. That being said, I might make a set or two just for the heck of it. I'm not going to put a lot of time energy into it, because I realize my chances aren't great. So I'm just curious where I should focus my energy. Thanks.

FYI, I don't have mountains in my trapping area, so please don't say mountains. I wish I did, but I can't make mountains appear out of nowhere.

C'mon seriously guys, did I fart in church or something? All I'm asking for is a vote.

I threw my vote in there just for grins, and you just never know in your area Jack. If the caribou migrate well in your area it could bring all kinds of critters in. I watched a pack of black wolves in your general area chasing caribou across a small lake a few years back. I chose rolling hills, although I was 50/50 between the hills and the secluded lake.

Quote Originally Posted by iyouktug View Post
    I threw my vote in there just for grins, and you just never know in your area Jack. If the caribou migrate well in your area it could bring all kinds of critters in. I watched a pack of black wolves in your general area chasing caribou across a small lake a few years back. I chose rolling hills, although I was 50/50 between the hills and the secluded lake.
    Thanks, I trap wolves out in my area occasionally, including a nice black one last spring. But I've yet to cross a wolverine track out that way. Thanks for the tip.

Iím my limited experience, I find the wolverines like to follow, and clean up after, the wolves.
    Iíd say let the wolves be your guide. Set where the wolves are to leery to (or canít) go. The gulo is smart, but trickable.
    Good luck!

I only assisted a trapper on some wolverine sets. He was blessed with finding some old moose kills and so we set near them. In one case, the wolverine burrowed under the moose and stayed right there. If I had my preference (no moose kills around) I'd look for funnels that restricted the game trails to narrow areas.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Wolverine love beaver and investigate every beaver house they come by find the pond find the house and set if no sign if sign set on sign wolverine will run the same route regularly almost step for step
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it