Thread: Man rescued 1-10-20 after cabin burns mid December

Default Man rescued 1-10-20 after cabin burns mid December

Tyson Steel 30 years old was rescued by the troppers friday when a concerned person had not heard from him in a while. Tyson stated his cabin had burnt and he lost all means to comucate . He lost his dog in the fire . In looking at the picture of the troopers making their approch he had some type of shelter that he has been living in.
    This situation gives a point of good discusion on survival when something like this Happens . Just glad that he is out and in good health.

https://www.ktva.com/story/41549566/...-near-skwentna

https://www.wyff4.com/article/man-su...-down/30477598

His cabin caught fire during the night in mid-December.
    Steele managed to grab a handful of supplies before escaping the fire, but his possessions and beloved dog, Phil, didn't make it.
    "At that point, I just sat down on the ground for awhile," Steele told KTUU-TV. "It was cold, I didn't have any socks in my boots and I was just wearing pajamas at that point, and a T-shirt."
    He survived by building a makeshift shelter and eating partially charred canned goods and other salvaged foods, which included pineapple, a food he is allergic to, KTVA-TV reported.
    "I ate them anyway because that's what I had," Steele told KTUU, adding that he rationed about 30 days worth of food for himself.

That guy needs to buy a lottery ticket before his luck runs out

Cabin fire was one reason the oldtimers kept spare everything in the cache.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Cabin fire was one reason the oldtimers kept spare everything in the cache.
    Thats what I was wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by iyouktug View Post
    Thats what I was wondering.
    also why AGL recommends a separate shelter with sealed barrel with emergency clothes, boots, fire starting equipment. Chances are it will be middle of the night and cold if something bad happens.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    also why AGL recommends a separate shelter with sealed barrel with emergency clothes, boots, fire starting equipment. Chances are it will be middle of the night and cold if something bad happens.
    Huge lessons to be learned, The type of roof he had, was made out of some kind plastic. { something to think about, with all the new fancy hot tents they have now for moose hunting , ice fishing , ectÂ…. it only takes one spark}. I remember playing Army in the 70's Brim Frost , , FT Greeley at -68 below and we burned down a 10 man tent. Angle that pipe out away from roof. I will add to the list from above , Food for you and the dog , had the dog lived he would have shared what food he had left and that would have reduced the amount of days he had . Pot and Pan to melt snow and cook food . Axe , Saw , shovel , tarp, Rope, Candles, Good sleeping bag . Snow shoes , He said : he had two pair lost them both and didn't have the knowledge of knowing where to go, was scared of falling in river. The ability to stay mobile, { Remember the kid in the bus }
    Most case's it is best to stay put if you have the mean's to do so. But when they run out, you are going to have to move or die .
    Hard lesson's to learn . I hope him all the best ,sorry about his dog. He knew just enough and survived, hopefully he can come back and try again .
    Remember, Mother nature has no forgiveness for stupidity.
    If you don't care where you are, your not lost

Do many people know the history of that property.

Here's the story straight from the horse's mouth. Scroll down to the post by Homesteadalaska on 19 Jan.

http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/1_9537_0.html

Thank you for posting this. It was good to hear his side of the story.