Thread: I smell a RAT

Default I smell a RAT

Has anyone got any info on how they awarded the 566 tier 2 permits?
    It just doesnt add up.I had one and lost it I also know a large family thatout of the 5 kids ages 21 to about28 the first go round only the two
    youngest got tags,the second go round the younger of the two kept his and theolder one lost his.they all live in the same place and have close to the same amount of years,infact the youngest has the least amount.I think they just did a draw of all those that applied.

Default draw

Quote Originally Posted by wildman View Post
    Has anyone got any info on how they awarded the 566 tier 2 permits?
    It just doesnt add up.I had one and lost it I also know a large family thatout of the 5 kids ages 21 to about28 the first go round only the two
    youngest got tags,the second go round the younger of the two kept his and theolder one lost his.they all live in the same place and have close to the same amount of years,infact the youngest has the least amount.I think they just did a draw of all those that applied.
    I know a husband/wife that did not have tags. Their family has hunted up there since the Wooly Mammoths were roaming the territory. Since they reworked things, one of them has a tag and one does still not.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Wink could i recommend a good cheese...

to go with your whine?
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Scoring

We had two on the first go around, lost them both and I picked up one on the rescore.
    I had 70 points and still have 70 points, so they are not deducting for income. In fact, they are giving some credit as my son who got one the first round and lost it, has 46 points with some of that credited to income. So, apparently they assigned some points for low income but didn't deduct any from the "old" timers. I don't know what the formula is but I'm sure Fish and Feathers would be happy to tell you.
    I did some analysis on the new list, if you download it to excel you can play with it via the sort function of that program, and noticed most all of those in southeast and the far north lost their tags. Not much changed in the unit, but Wasilla, Eagle River, Palmer and Anchorage picked up some.
    One thing that stands out is that MOST of the people in the unit (13) go with the federal tag, or ????.

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    to go with your whine?
    Not sure what you are saying?I think this hole thing is a mess and its becoming a bigger mystery by the minute.funy how people on the net get screen courage and start insulting others.

Default screen courage?

A fair analogy. Forums are surreal, like trading stocks and making/losing money; you never feel anything.

Like it was an insult.. I have not drawn any tags and you dont see me whining about it. The only thing I smell here is a bunch of BS and maybee a baked brie in the oven.

Mrs. Wild, here.

Nobody's whining. We're just asking a valid question. Does anyone know what changed with the recalculation? We had one permit and lost it after the injunction.

Others with incomes higher than our own kept their permits, so the changes must not have been income-related.

No, the whiners were the ones who brought legal action, leading to the injunction. We HAD a permit and LOST it. I think we're entitled to an explanation.

Before anyone blasts Wildman for his wife posting here, he doesn't know I posted this. I'm just as disappointed and angry as he is about losing the caribou permit, and want some answers. Before you insult someone, remember they have a family who may be reading along with them, trying to figure things out. Nobody likes to see their family insulted.

I apologize for hijacking the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by wildman View Post
    Mrs. Wild, here.

Nobody's whining. We're just asking a valid question. Does anyone know what changed with the recalculation? We had one permit and lost it after the injunction.

Others with incomes higher than our own kept their permits, so the changes must not have been income-related.

No, the whiners were the ones who brought legal action, leading to the injunction. We HAD a permit and LOST it. I think we're entitled to an explanation.

Before anyone blasts Wildman for his wife posting here, he doesn't know I posted this. I'm just as disappointed and angry as he is about losing the caribou permit, and want some answers. Before you insult someone, remember they have a family who may be reading along with them, trying to figure things out. Nobody likes to see their family insulted.

I apologize for hijacking the thread.
    Mrs or Mr. Wild

I wouldn't focus on those that post insults, forget em. If it's answers that you want, I would call fish and game on this one as nobody is certain.

The judge threw out the first one because it zero'd anyone with over 51k income. Apparently, income can be a valid part, but it can't zero you out. What they did I think, was give points to the income question, but removed the "zero" out part. I didn't get any points for that question, but my son got 10. I still qualified for the hunt with yrs etc and got a permit. Exactly how the points are applied on the income question I don't know but would guess it's a sliding scale, ie 0 for over 51k, 5 for 40k, 10 for 30k and 15 for 20k. I'm just guessing though.
    Regards

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt S View Post
    Mrs or Mr. Wild

I wouldn't focus on those that post insults, forget em. If it's answers that you want, I would call fish and game on this one as nobody is certain.

The judge threw out the first one because it zero'd anyone with over 51k income. Apparently, income can be a valid part, but it can't zero you out. What they did I think, was give points to the income question, but removed the "zero" out part. I didn't get any points for that question, but my son got 10. I still qualified for the hunt with yrs etc and got a permit. Exactly how the points are applied on the income question I don't know but would guess it's a sliding scale, ie 0 for over 51k, 5 for 40k, 10 for 30k and 15 for 20k. I'm just guessing though.
    Regards

Kurt
    Thats what I thought to but the brothers that I mentioned above the younger held his permit both rounds and the older had it first round but lost it The thing that puzzles me is that the younger brother has a higher income and the older one has more years.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default I know its been said....

A million times, but why not make it a drawing permit like any other- limited to residents of the state. Income should NOT be a factor in one's decision to feed his/her family Caribou throughout the winter- or any wild game for that matter. Alaska residency should be required, and after that, make it the luck of the draw!!!! Like any other hunt in our great state, if we don't get 'drawn' or we aren't successful, we don't starve- and if we're going to there is explicit language in the regs allowing us to kill what we need to survive. Therefore, make it a straight draw, and if you get drawn, rub it in, if you don't- hell, you're just like the rest of us...

People are not going to go hunger or not eat because of this so just let it go and go hunt some where else. If you need a tier II permit that bad maybe you should be focusing on other thing instead.