Thread: Omega-3 question

Default Omega-3 question

We are all aware of the health benefits that come from eating salmon and the fats that come from salmon. My question is about the grey gooey stuff that is found along the lateral line. I don't like the look or texture of that stuff so I usually scrape it off and don't eat it. I have a couple of questions about that stuff 1. Am I removing the good fat that I should be eating from the fish? 2. What is that stuff? and 3. Where are the good fats located (ie. belly meat, throughout, or the skin which I also don't eat)? Thanks in advance.

Thumbs up Good stuff. . .

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    We are all aware of the health benefits that come from eating salmon and the fats that come from salmon. My question is about the grey gooey stuff that is found along the lateral line. I don't like the look or texture of that stuff so I usually scrape it off and don't eat it. I have a couple of questions about that stuff 1. Am I removing the good fat that I should be eating from the fish? 2. What is that stuff? and 3. Where are the good fats located (ie. belly meat, throughout, or the skin which I also don't eat)? Thanks in advance.
    The "grey gooey" stuff along the lateral line is muscle/meat—it merely has more blood in it than does the rest of the fish's muscle mass. . . exactly like the light and dark meat on a chicken. You are removing good meat

The fish's muscle mass contains a percentage of fat, but the pure fat lies mostly in the belly and above the backbone. Try cutting the bellies off your fish and grilling them. A little salt, a little lemon. . .