Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: 'felt recoil'

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    27

    Default 'felt recoil'

    Finally shot my 460V today. I used (only because it was what was available in my area)
    HSM 200gr 45LC cowboy ,
    HSM 325gr 45LC +P bear load,
    HSM 325gr 454 Casual bear load
    Hornady 200gr FTX
    I only have a velocity number for the FTX's at 2,200fps at the muzzle.

    I was surprised that the 45LC +P had noticeably more felt recoil than the 454C.

    The 460 recoil was about the same as the 454C, which is what I expected from the stats I have read, it just sounded different.

    I don't have the prices anymore but maybe the 45LC +P is the best deal for the money when you feel like being hammered by a heavy round?
    Are there heavier 454C rounds available?

    I haven't tested accuracy at all yet but how does the S&W handle the different length bullets?

    Bill


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,490

    Default

    Garrett makes a 365 gr hammerhead at 1500fps from 7 1/2" barrel that is safe to shoot in any quality 454. I have never used that load, but have shot lots of the .44 and 45-70 loads from them and was very pleased.

  3. #3

    Default

    I have had bad experiences with HSM so I wasn't surprised by your Colt vs. Casull findings. I have actually had a bullet stuck in the barrel (Casull). I've listened carefully to the report during firing and find more often than not that there is a wide variance in charge. Maybe shoot them over your graph to see how wild it goes. My go-to now is the 400 grain HC from Double Tap.


    Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff


  4. #4
    Member kobuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    297

    Default

    I found out something interesting about the HSM 45 colt+p and 454 bear loads. They were both the 325 grain bullets and shot exactly the same speed through the same revolver. I was working up some loads for myself and my son had bought both of those boxes for his revolver so we ran them through my crony along with a factory round from Buffalo Bore. My revolver shot both of the HSM loads at the same fps too, albeit mine was a little faster than his due to barrel length. The buffalo bore round was an entirely different animal. Little too much of a good thing for me. It just surprised me that the 454 is just a 45 colt+p load.

  5. #5
    Member gunbugs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    1,542

    Default

    "HSM 325gr 454 Casual bear load"

    Is that different than a "formal" bear load? Perhaps you meant "Casull", like the guy who invented the 454 "Casull".
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

  6. #6
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    11,660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kobuk View Post
    I found out something interesting about the HSM 45 colt+p and 454 bear loads. They were both the 325 grain bullets and shot exactly the same speed through the same revolver. I was working up some loads for myself and my son had bought both of those boxes for his revolver so we ran them through my crony along with a factory round from Buffalo Bore. My revolver shot both of the HSM loads at the same fps too, albeit mine was a little faster than his due to barrel length. The buffalo bore round was an entirely different animal. Little too much of a good thing for me. It just surprised me that the 454 is just a 45 colt+p load.
    Can I ask what speeds you were getting with the Buff bore loads, and what length barrel you had? I only ask because the Buff bore load out of my 45 colt says their 325 grn is at 1325fps, but they don't say from what length barrel. My redhawk has the 4" barrel so I'm trying to get an idea of what speed it may be at with those rounds.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  7. #7
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    8,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    "HSM 325gr 454 Casual bear load"

    Is that different than a "formal" bear load?
    If we're being honest, the casual bear load is likely to serve the average Alaskan more than adequately.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,490

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Can I ask what speeds you were getting with the Buff bore loads, and what length barrel you had? I only ask because the Buff bore load out of my 45 colt says their 325 grn is at 1325fps, but they don't say from what length barrel. My redhawk has the 4" barrel so I'm trying to get an idea of what speed it may be at with those rounds.
    I saw a review on BB site with a guy getting 1303 fps from 4.2”barrel Redhawk 45C. Obviously not for sure but wanted to let you know.

  9. #9
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    11,660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    I saw a review on BB site with a guy getting 1303 fps from 4.2”barrel Redhawk 45C. Obviously not for sure but wanted to let you know.
    Excellent! Thank you. Just trying to get a better idea say as opposed to a 7" barrel.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,490

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Excellent! Thank you. Just trying to get a better idea say as opposed to a 7" barrel.
    i see on Garretts site the .45LC is all 7.5 “ barrels of different makes for fps listed. .44 Defender 310gr from 4” brl is only 80 fps slower at 1020 fps compared to 7.5” (1100). This is a less recoil round.

  11. #11
    Member kobuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Can I ask what speeds you were getting with the Buff bore loads, and what length barrel you had? I only ask because the Buff bore load out of my 45 colt says their 325 grn is at 1325fps, but they don't say from what length barrel. My redhawk has the 4" barrel so I'm trying to get an idea of what speed it may be at with those rounds.
    First off, sorry about the misspelled words....
    I was shooting the Buffalo Bore in 454, not 45 colt. If you are still interested I am happy to go and check my notes.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    9,198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kobuk View Post
    I found out something interesting about the HSM 45 colt+p and 454 bear loads. They were both the 325 grain bullets and shot exactly the same speed through the same revolver. I was working up some loads for myself and my son had bought both of those boxes for his revolver so we ran them through my crony along with a factory round from Buffalo Bore. My revolver shot both of the HSM loads at the same fps too, albeit mine was a little faster than his due to barrel length. The buffalo bore round was an entirely different animal. Little too much of a good thing for me. It just surprised me that the 454 is just a 45 colt+p load.
    You said "too much of a good thing".

    A recent article in the latest "GUNS" magazine gives me an idea of what that can really mean. The author, John Taffin basically ruined his hands shooting big revolvers like the 454, and the 475 and 500 Linebaugh.

    He did a lot of load testing with them. "shot more than 800 rounds in one day". That is probably more than most beeg bore enthusiasts will ever shoot. However, the description of his ailments curbs any latent tendency I might have to pursue maximum power in a handgun. I don't know how it would effect others.

    The article was really about how one can continue to shoot when he gets old, and has to deal with,,, shall we say,, deteriorating health, and excesses of youh. That is something I can identify with.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •