Thread: Susulatna river

Default Susulatna river

Just curious if anyone here has any experience on the upper susulatna river.
    Thinking of a moose hunt up there possibly but not sure on access points, if any ,are there. Thanks in advance

OK I'll bite, where is the Susulatna River? Is it near the Sasqawatch River? My partner and I killed a dandy bull moose there one year;-)

It's way up the Novi.

You mean the Sulatna river? If so, it's about 60 +/- miles up the Novi from the Yukon. Had a buddy hunt it last year. He said that he saw 2 moose in 5 days, one was a 40something dink bull and the other a cow. He shot the bull and then got outta there.

He's talking the Susulatna, which is way up above the Sulatna on the Novi. I've hunted the Sulatna (one bull in 10 days, and saw lots of fresh water clams) but not the Susulatna--I've looked at it on GE and maps, but haven't bitten the bullet to go there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by logger50 View Post
    Just curious if anyone here has any experience on the upper susulatna river.
    Thinking of a moose hunt up there possibly but not sure on access points, if any ,are there. Thanks in advance
    You have already read the regs and know moose in that area is a registration permit with antler cutting or with a draw permit. right?
    Access, awful looooonnnnng ways to drive a boat from anywhere so access is by floatplane.
    Best talk to Glenn Stout the area bio. Could be some competition from Nate Turner who guides up there. Not sure if he gets that far up the Novi.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    You have already read the regs and know moose in that area is a registration permit with antler cutting or with a draw permit. right?
    Access, awful looooonnnnng ways to drive a boat from anywhere so access is by floatplane.
    Best talk to Glenn Stout the area bio. Could be some competition from Nate Turner who guides up there. Not sure if he gets that far up the Novi.
    I believe he can hunt on a harvest ticket so long as he's 2 miles off the Novi.

That is correct.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!