Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Why do you shoot a muzzleloader?

  1. #1
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    6,112

    Default Why do you shoot a muzzleloader?

    My brother-in-law is an avid ML collector, shooter and hunter. He literally has a huge vault man cave wall to wall with mostly ML firearms, and most of them are originals and pricey. He is a doctor, and he can afford it. I've always kidded and chided him about it, because shooting BP seemed so anachronistic to me, and downright impractical in Alaska especially.
    But then this winter as I entered another long, dark season, I looked for something to keep me busy putzing on in the evenings after I finished my planning and grading. If was younger, I'd probably build ARs, but they don't really float my boat. Entry level muzzleloader kits are pretty reasonable and they looked challenging. So I got a cap and ball Kentucky rifle from SW and have been working on it for about two months now. I'm having fun too. Still, as much as I'm looking forward to shooting it, I'm not exactly sure what I'll do with it in the long run. The whole maintenance thing seems like it will be a task master; keeping ahead of the BP fouling. Not much for BP seasons up here either. I may sell this one when I'm done and get another to work on, or I may make a wall hanger out of it. I might decide I like shooting it too, though people tell me that flintlocks are more fun than percussion to shoot.

    What makes you shoot muzzleloaders?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    649

    Default

    I enjoyed the heck out of them and need to get back into it. Maintenance isn't much different than any other rifle just different cleaning and lube stuff. You can shoot lead which will be a little more cleaning or shoot sabots. If you got a smooth bore you can shoot shot out of it. Check out snowshoe gun club, they have a really nice dedicated BP range.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Between two lakes in Alaska
    Posts
    1,055

    Default

    ML opens up a couple of hunting spots I'd like to hunt.

    It's nice to slow things down a bit. On one of my ML shoots I spent about an hour at the range. The Wife asked how many time I'd shot. I think it was 7 times.

    It's fun to hold the rifle steady, squeeze the triger, have the cap go off, and then a bit of smoke and recoil. It's so different from CF.

  4. #4
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    11,617

    Default

    I'll never forget the video I watched showing a guy shooting a nice brownie with one over across the inlet somewhere on some mud flats. Most the video was the camera just aimed at the bear coming in from a long ways away. Then when it came time and he dropped the hammer on it, all you could see in the picture was smoke and hear the bear bawling. After I don't know how long, once the smoke cleared you could see the bear dragging its ass as his back was broken. I can't remember if the guy reloaded and shot again to finish it or if one of the other guys did with CF rifles. When it was all over and they went over to the bear you could hardly tell it was a bear under all that mud!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  5. #5
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    6,112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I'll never forget the video I watched showing a guy shooting a nice brownie with one over across the inlet somewhere on some mud flats. Most the video was the camera just aimed at the bear coming in from a long ways away. Then when it came time and he dropped the hammer on it, all you could see in the picture was smoke and hear the bear bawling. After I don't know how long, once the smoke cleared you could see the bear dragging its ass as his back was broken. I can't remember if the guy reloaded and shot again to finish it or if one of the other guys did with CF rifles. When it was all over and they went over to the bear you could hardly tell it was a bear under all that mud!
    Gawd! I'd hate to slog a brown bear out of the mud! But then maybe it would slide on a sheet of visqueen- that's how we used to pull setnets out on the mud flats. Even still, getting the mud out of that hide wouldn't be much fun.
    My son, who hunts black bear with me, has already "forbade" me from attempting a blackie with the 50 cal ML. And since he does the majority of the heavy work these days, I'll probably comply :-)

  6. #6
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    11,617

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Gawd! I'd hate to slog a brown bear out of the mud! But then maybe it would slide on a sheet of visqueen- that's how we used to pull setnets out on the mud flats. Even still, getting the mud out of that hide wouldn't be much fun.
    My son, who hunts black bear with me, has already "forbade" me from attempting a blackie with the 50 cal ML. And since he does the majority of the heavy work these days, I'll probably comply :-)
    Spot and stalk might be a pain, but over bait shouldn't be a problem? 50 cal. at close range ain't nothin' to sneeze at!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Between two lakes in Alaska
    Posts
    1,055

    Default

    There was a TV series on hunting bears on Kodiak. One of the stories was a young lady and her father using ML. Her father had to leave and she continued the hunt on her own (with the camera crew). It seems she shot 3 times to kill the bear...she could reload a lot faster than I can!

    I saw a young lady with a baby in town once and thought she looked a lot like the hunter. I wished I'd introduced myself and told her how much I enjoyed her hunt.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    105

    Default

    In my case I just wanted a different challenge. Mines an In-line,50 cal. Really comes down to ...one shot. Kind of makes you think more about
    everything leading up to pulling the trigger. At least I do.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    664

    Default

    Jim Baichtal here in SE is a muzzle loader man extraordinaire. Takes some very nice blacktail with it and not the driest conditions here either. Iíve hunted elk with an in-line in CO, beautiful time of year and less pressure was the reason for it. Canít quite get there here like Jim has so Iíve gone with my .45 Colt lever gun...close as I can get right now.

  10. #10
    New member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Love that smell!

  11. #11
    Premium Member kasilofchrisn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    5,187

    Default

    For me it's just fun to shoot.
    And yes it's a slower process. But that's fun too.
    Sometimes burning up a brick of .22 is fun but sometimes a slower pace is just as fun.
    The fact that the local gun range(Snowshoe gun club) has a nice muzzloader only range is also nice.
    Then there's the fun of cutting my own patches and making my own patch lubes, casting my own balls and Sabots......
    I'm going to be making my own rifle and pistol BP here this winter. Been making it for a rocketry project with excellent results so the next step is making it for my rifle and pistol.
    If you want to cast your own ammo for it etc. let me know as I have all the equipment already.

    Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

  12. #12

    Default

    Fun to shoot and it opens up additional hunt opportunities. I have a.58 cal.

  13. #13
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    6,112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schall53 View Post
    Fun to shoot and it opens up additional hunt opportunities. I have a.58 cal.
    What additional hunts have you done?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •