Thread: Bait Launcher Questions???

Default Bait Launcher Questions???

I havenít seen much mention on here regarding the use of ďbait launchersĒ for halibut fishing from shore.

I also donít see any regulations against them, but thought Iíd ask for some thoughts on here.

Iíd like to fish between Stariski On down towards Ninilchik, unless there is a better nearby option?...also, what would be the earliest time of year to realistically be able to catch any?

I have a pneumatic PVC bait cannon that can get me out about 250 -300 yards.... the frozen bait wads donít thaw sufficiently in our cold water, so I need to come up w/ a different scenario on that.

A cpl other ideas Iíve been considering... I have a ďgolf ball launcherĒ that fits on the barrel of my AR10...using 308 blanks itíll launch a golf ball several hundred yards, Iíd like to actually rig it up as a bait launcher, but wasnít sure if the ďfirearmĒ aspect of this idea would make it illegal???

Iíve also seen the drones with the bait drop set-ups. Iíve never operated a drone and am not super sure that I want to put the monetary and time investment into that unless itís a significantly better idea???

...so enough of my rambling, please share your thoughts on this....

I've seen air cannons launching bait on the beach but never a golf ball launcher on an AR10, where did you find that thing?

As far as legalities go, just call the troopers and they'll let you now whats good to go or not

Quote Originally Posted by Chez View Post
    I've seen air cannons launching bait on the beach but never a golf ball launcher on an AR10, where did you find that thing?
    I build custom ARís, so I made my own. However they are available online at a handful of sites.
    http://www.americanspecialtyammo.com/novelty-items.html

Quote Originally Posted by yukon99669 View Post
    I build custom ARís, so I made my own. However they are available online at a handful of sites.
    Thanks

That looks like a tight squeeze for a golfball launcher, to get bait and wieght frozen that small. What will you use for a mold?

Why not use a scent despenser above the hooks. Pretty light and the scent will at least be near your bait. With 2 ounces of weight and a 15' surf rod you should be able to cast 100+ yards. That is what we used for bluefish up out of Gloucester.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Why not use a scent despenser above the hooks. Pretty light and the scent will at least be near your bait. With 2 ounces of weight and a 15' surf rod you should be able to cast 100+ yards. That is what we used for bluefish up out of Gloucester.
    I have 9' - 12' poles and use 6-8oz weights. I don't know if I get 100 yards but they get out pretty far

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by yukon99669 View Post
    Why would anyone want to launch a soda can or golf ball using and AR?

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Why would anyone want to launch a soda can or golf ball using and AR?
    just because

https://www.seahorsekontiki.com/prod...0S30%20Kontiki

Did a Stag hunt few years back in NZ and seen one of these at a sporting goods store. I have a boat but always figured this would be super fun to do somewhere that direction for Halibut. Maybe on a really crummy wx day when the charters stand down.

Thing is, you really don't have to get out all that far to catch halibut off the beach. It may not be hot and heavy like from a boat but people do catch them pretty regularly just casting out a ways.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Yes absolutely no need for any kind of bait launcher, drone dropper, etc.
    If you really want distance practice your pendulum cast and rig up an impact release clip on a surfcast rod.
    Hook up a frog tongue sinker as light as will hold for the days tide a circle hook with a good bait and your good to go.
    But I've caught them and seen others do the same with a salmon rod cast as normal.
    You are way way overthinking this for sure.
    Having the correct style sinker will help your fishing much better than any sort of bait launcher.
    The frog tongue is the best sinker followed by a storm sinker , then a three sided pyramid.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I'm itchin for some fishin, how soon do you think it will be before they start coming in to the beach?

Quote Originally Posted by Chez View Post
    I'm itchin for some fishin, how soon do you think it will be before they start coming in to the beach?
    Probably May or so.
    Whenever the hooligan start running should start bringing in some fish.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"