Thread: Seward Silvers...what happened?

Default Seward Silvers...what happened?

I normally don`t fish Seward but a few weeks back a buddy and I went out for some trolling and rockfishing. We had no problem whatsoever getting our limit of silvers this side of Pony Cove and the glacier. Went back the next week and only managed to get 2 with the same gear in the same water. Yesterday did all the same things but tried even deeper and scored zero unless you count the one lost. I did notice the water temp change from 49 3 weeks ago go up to 54 now. Do you think this is having a major effect or possibly the boat/fishing pressure???

Default Fish Pony Cove Early, and closer as the summer goes on

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    I normally don`t fish Seward but a few weeks back a buddy and I went out for some trolling and rockfishing. We had no problem whatsoever getting our limit of silvers this side of Pony Cove and the glacier. Went back the next week and only managed to get 2 with the same gear in the same water. Yesterday did all the same things but tried even deeper and scored zero unless you count the one lost. I did notice the water temp change from 49 3 weeks ago go up to 54 now. Do you think this is having a major effect or possibly the boat/fishing pressure???
    They come closer. I would think they are at Sunny Cove now, Caines Head, Thumb Cove now, and to Millers Landing. Heck last week I saw one jump in the harbor!
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

We did try @ Thumb Cove and also trolled along Miller`s Landing along with the other boats and all the way to the harbor mouth but saw no action anywhere inside Caineshead...very perplexed.
    We did catch several pinks and spotted thousands of them at the surface in 30-80' of water schooling. The only silvers we saw jumping was in over 300' of water...my best guess is they are temp. sensitive by comparison to their pink counterparts.

Default Limits every day

I think you might be over thinking this....The are moving all the time. Water temps should not matter in Seward.
    My boats have limited every day inside the Bay for the last three weeks. The silvers a plentiful. They move to the bottom when the boat traffic is heavy.

I remember catching loads of them on Krokodiles cast from the beach. The next year, with fish jumping everywhere, they had no interest in that lure at all. So, I switched to the local favorite, the #5 Vibrax, and started hitting them again.

I also remember a warm year that kept me off of the fish until I started going low and slow.

Default Seward Silvers

Same for us this past weekend, no problem finding some rock bass but Silvers seemed to not be around. Plenty of Pinks which we kept a few but still would like to get into some silvers.

Default Blying Sound Silvers

I did not fish Resurrection Bay this weekend. However, silver fishing is good east of Resurrection --- we tried many locations with hook-ups just about anyplace around Blying Sound. It was a beautiful day just about every where we tried.

Default Same as last year?

This must be an annual occurance, because this exact same thing happened last year. On this forum I remember people asking the same question, what happened to the Silvers. Granted this is only my second year fishing R. Bay on my own, but it seems that early, like the last week of June and through mid-July the fish are easy to find, concentrated around Pony Cove, Chevel Narrows, Fox, then as the month goes on they spread out as they enter that huge 20 mile bay and a lot of fish in those concentrated areas doesn't seem like so many when they are spread out through the bay. I think you have to listen to AK Capt. and go to well known spots and when you find them if they are deep you have to downrigger or use that banana weight and chunk of bait on a hook technique. One thing that worked for us was fished early in the morning. Once boat traffic got heavy, like AK Capt. said they went deep and we without downriggers, only pink ladies and such, did not catch as many. A few days we left the marina at 0400 (zero boat traffic) and were coming back in limited out with 36 silvers as the charter boats were going out and we were taking a nap in camp at 10:00 a.m.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    This must be an annual occurance, because this exact same thing happened last year. On this forum I remember people asking the same question, what happened to the Silvers. Granted this is only my second year fishing R. Bay on my own, but it seems that early, like the last week of June and through mid-July the fish are easy to find, concentrated around Pony Cove, Chevel Narrows, Fox, then as the month goes on they spread out as they enter that huge 20 mile bay and a lot of fish in those concentrated areas doesn't seem like so many when they are spread out through the bay. I think you have to listen to AK Capt. and go to well known spots and when you find them if they are deep you have to downrigger or use that banana weight and chunk of bait on a hook technique. One thing that worked for us was fished early in the morning. Once boat traffic got heavy, like AK Capt. said they went deep and we without downriggers, only pink ladies and such, did not catch as many. A few days we left the marina at 0400 (zero boat traffic) and were coming back in limited out with 36 silvers as the charter boats were going out and we were taking a nap in camp at 10:00 a.m.
    Yep...rolled out @ 4 and still had no luck to speak of. Granted there is alot of water to cover but we fished about 30' deep for 5 hours along past productive places and some new. Guess it`s up to the fish sometimes.