Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much does a "True" CORD of firewood sell for in ALASKA.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I burn spruce and cotton wood. Yes cotton wood. I split it no bigger than 6x6" and dry it for 18 months. I did a test for 3 months and found it not much different than spruce even in the chimney cleaning.
    I don't turn up my nose at aspen here in the interior either. Its caloric value is very close to spruce, and it burns cleaner.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

I don’t mind burning cottonwood as well from time to time. I usually have a fair amount mixed in.

Supporting Member

I cut some cottonwood on the beach last summer. Dry as a bone. I wanted it for outdoor bonfires. It smells good when burning and no sparks. Mosquitoes don't like it either. I had more than I needed for bonfires. so the rest went in the wood shed. I burn it on the dyas when I don't need a cod roaster fire.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Music , That sounds like things that issaid around my cabin .I want to sell you a cord od wood but the first 100 cords is free.

FWIW, for my fireplace use on the South side of Los Anchorage....

- I agreed to $275 per cord for Birch at an outfit near Talkeetna in late spring of 2018: I drove my small dump truck from Los Anchorage up there, had a cup of coffee while they split and loaded the bed full (with semi-automatic equipment, it was pretty slick); since that was a bit more than a cord, they threw in the extra so I ended up paying about $255/cord, but I had to drive out and back.
    - Fall of 2018, paid $275 per cord for Birch from a Wasilla location; had to drive out there and assist with the loading.
    - Late Fall of 2018, paid $225 for 1/2 cord of spruce split and delivered to my home ("delivered" meaning piled, not stacked, in a spot of my choosing).
    - Spring of 2019: $265 for a cord of birch from Palmer area; drive out there, help load it. For the price, I'll go out to Talkeetna for the next cord, I'm too old to fuss with loading...

All cords were measured to be at least the represented volume. None of these purchases were represented as "seasoned"; the spruce turned out to be pretty dry, the 2018 fall cord of birch are just now being used and has apparently seasoned enough to burn quite well.
    Back in AK

Supporting Member

I'm loaded up with live birch around my place as it burned here in the 70's. I go out in winter when the sap is down and dump a bunch of them for the moose. I score the bark the length of the log with my chainsaw. That really helps with the seasoning. If I don't score through the bark, the wood will dry on the ends and still be somewhat green inside. By scoring it seasons faster because the moisture has a way to escape. I buck them up in the spring and later on I will haul them in with the 6 wheeler to the wood shed. The largest trees are big enough that I will either split them with the saw, or run them through the splitter. Sure makes nice firewood. I bought a parcel of land (4 acres) a few miles away as an investment, but the bonus is all the spruce beetle kill on it. I mix it with my birch. I can choose which wood I want to run for fuel based on how cold it is outside and what kind of fire I want. BTW, this old logger has been heating with wood his entire life.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    ...BTW, this old logger has been heating with wood his entire life....
    Yeah, I've been slingin' a chainsaw around since I was a kid. Never paid for firewood in my life so no need to know what it goes for these days. But just today a guy on Peninsula Man Stuff is offering wood for $150 in the round and $175 split. Don't know anything else about it, how much or what kind. But that's about the best price I've seen years, if it's a full cord and good wood.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Yeah, I've been slingin' a chainsaw around since I was a kid. Never paid for firewood in my life so no need to know what it goes for these days. But just today a guy on Peninsula Man Stuff is offering wood for $150 in the round and $175 split. Don't know anything else about it, how much or what kind. But that's about the best price I've seen years, if it's a full cord and good wood.
    Probably neither of those last 2.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I have heard some of those dirt cheap sellers are not selling a true cord.
    I also heard some are selling cheap just because they need a quick buck for their dope habit.
    Not always the case though. Buyer be ware!

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Just for S&G I looked up my truck bed dimensions, 8 foot box. I came up with 74.329 Cubic Feet
    (LxWxH)(could not get a wheel well dimension).

If you take the bed area LxW you will need pretty much 1.5 feet above the bed to fit 128 CF into the back of a pickup. So for a solid cord of neatly stacked wood in a pickup, the seller is gonna need side boards 18" above the bed rails.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Just for S&G I looked up my truck bed dimensions, 8 foot box. I came up with 74.329 Cubic Feet
    (LxWxH)(could not get a wheel well dimension).

If you take the bed area LxW you will need pretty much 1.5 feet above the bed to fit 128 CF into the back of a pickup. So for a solid cord of neatly stacked wood in a pickup, the seller is gonna need side boards 18" above the bed rails.
    Used to stack shake blocks in an 8' bed. There are a couple ways. Use a 4'x8' pallet length wise stacked 4' high.Drag it out with a fork lift. Or stack across the bed above the sides heaped in the middle. Not difficult to get a cord in 4x4x8.

If someone palletized and wrapped their loads and shrink wrapped, that would be a very honest way to do deliver an honest cord.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Current pricing where I'm at is about $275 a cord.

I palletized wood when I had my outdoor boiler for ease of handling. It was a gigantic pain in the but and shrink wrap won't hold it together, it has to be re-enforced with plywood or 2x4's. While it's an easy way to measure, it's a big time suck.

There is nothing illegal about selling wood in any measure you want to, as long as you and the customer agree. Using a processing machine we puked a load into a dump truck and then dumped it. We then stacked it and measured it. Then we did it three more times and took the average. The truck we were loading averaged 2.3 cords. The time saved just puking it into a small dump truck with a conveyor was worth giving the customer .3 cords extra. I never had a customer complain about being shorted. We charged $500 a load back then. Prior to me processing it myself, I would buy log truck loads at a fixed price per load that the driver and I agreed on. Some were 8 cords, some were 10. I paid, he delivered, we're still friends.

Dry and seasoned wood requires a building that can air dry and keep the wood dry. There are NO commercial vendors of firewood in S.C. Alaska that are doing that, they simply couldn't do it because of the size of building requirement to store and rotate wood on a 3 year schedule. You might be able to buy 3 yr. old split wood (doubtful) but it won't be seasoned or dry. It won't take long to dry it in your shed (if you have one) but you aren't going to buy it that way.

Honestly, I'm tired of people in my locality begging for a dry/seasoned wood vendor. They don't exist, and if you're burning wood you dang well better build a woodshed capable of holding a minimum of 2 years of wood, and rotating it as you go along. Three year rotation is better, but that's a big shed. When I was a kid it was 10 cords of rounds piled outside the shed that we'd split over the coarse of a month in the fall. We'd toss a tarp over it and leave it. The wood shed was full of 20 cords. The next spring we'd stack that tarped pile into the now vacant section 10 cord section (3 y.o wood) of the wood shed and then spend the summer building a new pile of rounds near the front of the shed again. Then we'd burn the now 3 y.o. wood that winter. Rinse and repeat.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12