Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about wildlife in your yard/streets and cars idling in public places

Quote Originally Posted by pa12drvr View Post
    I'll qualify the following by saying that I missed being born in the Territory of Alaska by a few months and have lived in Anchorage most of my life. I remember when "Providence" was where the Benihana is now and when the Sears Mall was built and when they did sports car races in the JC Penney garage.

That being said, I've also lived in Houston, Texas and spent a fair amount of time in Los Angeles. I call Anchorage "Los Anchorage" in a largely tongue-in-cheek way but also because it has changed substantially from the Anchorage I grew up in 50+ years ago. Those changes are a mix of good and bad: Remember when the Anchorage (oh wait "West") high school auditorium or the old Sydney Laurence or the Sports Arena were the places to see theatrical performances? Changing from that is good.

When kids were able to walk to school and the biggest worry was either a mean local dog or a wandering moose or (for Los Anchorage) a couple weeks when -20 or colder was common...changing from that is bad.

Have been charged by both moose (in town) and bear (out of town)....survived both without injury and the moose and bear survived as well. I also had to run around Mountain View and Fairview (about a 6-7 block run) in a karate uniform back in the day as part of the training. It was a monstrous PITA then; I just wouldn't do it now ('cause I'd have a heart attack among other things .

Alaska and Anchorage are both largely full of good people, but not as much as they used to be and Anchorage ain't what it used to be.....I'll call it Los Anchorage, but it doesn't hold a candle to that big city in California.

Yep, and I moved to Anchorage 51 years ago as a young lad of seven. Boy has it changed! I remember the corner of Boniface and Northern lights and all that was there was a gas station and a frog pond. Used to fish in Chester Creek all the time and ride my bike all over the place. Now it seems like every single day you look at the news and there is a stabbing, or a shooting. And yes Brain there are great people in Anchorage but I'll take my chances out here on the creek! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Did you know the "Sand Lake Boys" way back then? Cause they were serious trouble all those years ago.

Shoot, I forgot that bunch! TWO of them live out here on the creek. Hmm, maybe I'm not as safe as I thought! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by flopitdown View Post
    Thanks. Can I ask what is the difference between Anchorage and Los Anchorage? I see people saying Los Anchorage sometimes and I thought Los Anchorage was a part of the city (like maybe the outskirts) but google doesn´t really explain the difference between the two names.
    Anchorage is the Alaskan version of a big city. The rest of us on, and off, the road system who have access Los Anchorage call it Los Anchorage satirically as in Los Angeles, California. Since the population of Los Anchorage would hardly cover a couple city blocks in Los Angeles this is obviously satire. Another saying being that Los Anchorage is only an hour away from Alaska. However some people in the big city don't like the good natured ribbing we country folk give them from time to time.

But seriously, the last couple years in Los Anchorage have set records for murders. Just don't go into the wrong neighborhoods and you will be ok...the same can be said for certain areas of the bush.
    “I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Supporting Member

The 'rest of us' don't call it that. You should know by now that it is affectionately referred to as Anchortown.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

I knew (or more specifically "knew of" and saw infrequently) a couple of groups around the Sand Lake area that were trouble. Also some folks in Muldoon that one wouldn't put up for Citizen of the Year.

...but I also remember hanging with the buds a few times and thinking we were bad-Azz because we rode the sno-gos down to the corner store and back and didn't get caught. My old man and his friend let me drive a sno-go for the first time in the field where the Russian Jack (I think or perhaps it's the Cartee) softball fields are now and I saw my first "wild" moose "hiking" through what is now the Eastridge area at Lake Otis / 20th. That's the old Los Anchorage / Anchortown / city that I miss.

....along with the days when (as happened a few times) one could fly out to the King River area, find a good spot, land, hike a bit, shoot a couple of caribou and be home before mid-afternoon. Oh well, time marches on.
    Back in AK

I knew (or more specifically "knew of" and saw infrequently) a couple of groups around the Sand Lake area that were trouble. Also some folks in Muldoon that one wouldn't put up for Citizen of the Year.

...but I also remember hanging with the buds a few times and thinking we were bad-Azz because we rode the sno-gos down to the corner store and back and didn't get caught. My old man and his friend let me drive a sno-go for the first time in the field where the Russian Jack (I think or perhaps it's the Cartee) softball fields are now and I saw my first "wild" moose "hiking" through what is now the Eastridge area at Lake Otis / 20th. That's the old Los Anchorage / Anchortown / city that I miss.

....along with the days when (as happened a few times) one could fly out to the King River area, find a good spot, land, hike a bit, shoot a couple of caribou and be home before mid-afternoon. Oh well, time marches on.

Yeah, the guys I knew were good guys but rowdy. I bet you know them too. Funny, I moved to Anchorage in 1968, then moved to Sutton around Kings River which you mentioned for many years, and we have a home we rent in Sand Lake! I guess I have earned the right to call Anchorage what I want! By the way Brian, if it makes you feel better we also call Sutton the poor mans Butte!

I have lived in Anchorage for 20 years. Live next to a big park and see moose frequently (had one enter my garage which I had to push out by the muzzle like a horse since it was between truck and snowblower). Have had multiple visits from black bears and seen 2 brownies across the street. The largest black bear I have ever seen walked right through my yard and down the street as if nothing was going on (I followed it to make sure there were no kids waiting for the school bus). I have only been threatened once by a very drunk person picking a fight when I was done teaching a martial arts class- we never had physical contact. I don't go to bars and avoid certain areas, but I feel very safe here. I lived in Caracas and San Antonio so this is a cake walk! LOL. Seriously, when you look at crime in this town and take drug deals and drunks out of the equation- violent crime is pretty slim. Theft is high with drug addicts looking for cash, and lots of it is opportunistic. Don't leave cars unlocked or garage doors open. If you use common sense and are aware of what is going on around you, you should be fine. People make it sound like it is as bad as Detroit.

The year I moved here there were 8 murders, so the increase is huge, however the number of thugs has increased with the population. There are definitely common denominators with the crimes in the town and the gangs are not like in other places as they are mixed and some try to make names for themselves. As smokeross said- use an auto start if you can. I carry a gun pretty much everywhere I go because I would hate to be in a situation in which I could have helped myself or someone else and not had one. I have lots of critters at my property including a very curious wolf lately that has watched me blowing snow by the cabin in the dark. The best thing about living here is the scenery and wildlife that surrounds all of us wherever we live. I think the misconception many have prior to coming here is that they expect there to be animals seen everywhere and forget how vast the land is. A typical winter morning drive to my property when there is snow- I will see 12-36 (the most) moose. It is a wonderful place and although I wish I could live at my cabin- Anchorage is a great place overall.

Most the "young'uns" wouldn't know any different these days, but pretty much the whole world was a much kinder, friendlier place back then....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12