Thread: Horse packing trail books/info for summer 2021

Default Horse packing trail books/info for summer 2021

Hi,

Love the forum! Been reading every thread regarding packing and found some good info.

My brother and I are planning on going to Alaska 2021 with our mules and horses from Montana. We have family in the Anchorage area.

Looking for books on trails in Alaska.

Going to put in for kenai bou and moose tags on the kenai...funny River. But not much of a chance to draw. Ship Creek doesn't interest me too much due to it being so close to Anchorage.

Read a bunch of stuff regarding Terry overly? He uses horses in his outfitting biz in the wrangells? That looks like some awesome country!

I've been to Alaska quite a bit, but never North of the paxson highway and usually just fish and or hang out with the family.

Any info on trail books or info would be much appreciated!

The Nutzotins and north Wrangells that Overly used to operate in are fine country, and most of the guide outfitters there use horses. That being said,access is difficult,as glacial river such as the Nabesna and Chisana can be dangerous to cross on horseback. These glacial rivers have deep channels and quicksand like bottoms. If I remember correctly,Overly's stepfather lost his life in the Chisana river trailing horses in. In a nutshell,I would hesitate to trail horses into that country without local knowledge.
    Mules are not used much in Alaska, as even the high country frequently has marshy muskeg which is a bit of a handicap for the mules with their smaller feet.
    Probably a nice introduction to horseback hunting in alaska would be a packtrip on the Ressurection Pass trail on the Kenai. Caribou,if one is lucky enough to obtain a permit, and black bear if not. Good luck.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Look into controlled use areas. People seem to take atv's advantage they can, but they're not allowed in those areas. Non resident you can't hunt unit 13, but Clearwater controlled use areas always has horse trailers parked there.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Folks have been trailing stock up the head of Kachemak Bay to Fox River for many moons...contact the local equestrian club:

https://m.facebook.com/pages/categor...-373584274441/

...also a horse trail alongside Tustumena Lake, the Pollard Trail...I have no knowledge of this route. Isn't 15B going from draw to general hunt for moose next year? Thought I heard something about that...
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    Folks have been trailing stock up the head of Kachemak Bay to Fox River for many moons...contact the local equestrian club:

https://m.facebook.com/pages/categor...-373584274441/

...also a horse trail alongside Tustumena Lake, the Pollard Trail...I have no knowledge of this route. Isn't 15B going from draw to general hunt for moose next year? Thought I heard something about that...
    Well, the Pollard trail isn't actually alongside Tustumena, but it does run up above it and onto the "bench." Not all of 15b was permit only, just the "trophy area." There will still be 6 resident any bull permits given out in 15b, but as far as I know the rest of the old Tustumena trophy area, which up until now has been permit only for many, many years, will now be open by harvest ticket with the 50"/brow tine restriction.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!