Thread: Eagle Peak finale

Default Eagle Peak finale

So I've been living in Anchorage since mid-May and will be leaving to drive to Boulder, CO on August 4th or 5th. I've gotten the chance to hike The Dome, Knoya Point, Wolverine, and Rainbow Peak. I was also able to do some hiking in Denali. From what I've read, it appears that Eagle Peak is the highest hikable mountain near Anchorage. Can I do it in one day if I leave early? I'm in pretty good shape and I'll be doing it alone. Any suggestions?

Maybe. What route are you planning on? Hiking it from the back side (from Eagle Lake as opposed to Eagle River) is probably easier and more direct, but you'll have a 7 mile hike before you start climbing. Going from the Eagle River Nature Center is potentially doable in a day, but you'll have to ford Eagle River at Echo Bend (3 mile hike) and then bushwhack downstream another mile before you start your climb. A buddy and I did it in a day years ago, but it took us just over 18 hours (6am - midnight). We took the more difficult of the two ridgelines, and I can say with certainty that I would never do that route alone. As for the other ways, well...I can't say.

It's an awesome climb, but an awful lot to bite off in one day. Good luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by utvolsfan13 View Post
    So I've been living in Anchorage since mid-May and will be leaving to drive to Boulder, CO on August 4th or 5th. I've gotten the chance to hike The Dome, Knoya Point, Wolverine, and Rainbow Peak. I was also able to do some hiking in Denali. From what I've read, it appears that Eagle Peak is the highest hikable mountain near Anchorage. Can I do it in one day if I leave early? I'm in pretty good shape and I'll be doing it alone. Any suggestions?
    I could give you suggestions for Fairbanks area and all of Colorado, especially Boulder.
    Send me a PM if you need ideas for Boulder since this is an Alaskan board, I would feel awkward posting a great deal on this side.

Happy driving to Boulder, too! It's about a good 50 hour drive.
    ~COtoAK
    Lurker.

I was planning on leaving from the South Fork Eagle River Trail Head (the route that goes by Eagle and Symphony Lakes. Have you tried that route?

I haven't gone that route, but I sure would like to try. From what I've read, that route sounds easier than the way we went. Let us know how it goes if you make an attempt.

It looks like Thursday may be my last full free day so I hope the weather cooperates. I'll let you all know how it goes.

This may be a stupid question...

If I decided to hike and camp at the base of Eagle Peak... to hike it the following day... Would I leave my tent and pack at the base and pick it all up on the way back?

It would be totally safe to leave your tent at the bottom. Very few people that far back, and those that hike the area are typically very courteous and unlikely to mess with your gear. Hiking in the previous night is the way I would go, as it will give you more time and you'll be more rested.

Default Highest Peak?

Hate to potentially screw up your plans but Eagle Peak is not the tallest hikable peak in the Anchorage Area. I hiked to the top of Bold peak a few days ago. Did it in one full day (biked in the first 10 miles on Eklutna Lakeside Trail). Bold is 7522'. Bashful Peak is the highest Peak in CSP at 8005' but I don't know if it's a walk up or you need technical gear.

Mt. Yukla is taller than Eagle Peak as well, but looks to be a more difficult climb. We may try that one in two days next summer, but haven't picked out our route yet.

How was the climb up Bold, Fullcurl? I've had that one on my list for a while as well.

Default Bold Peak

It was a long long hike. In order to do it in a day you have to bike in. Then you climb up this gully on loose boulders. There is one sketchy spot where there is a fixed rope. It's doable but I didn't like it. Just when it seems like you are there you still have over an hour to go. Coming back though is real nice becuase you can glissade the snow and run through the scree. Took me 11 hours round trip. Pick the right day becuase the peak is rarely out of the clouds and you don't want to miss the view after all that work.

Default your starting point?

Quote Originally Posted by Fullcurl View Post
    It was a long long hike. In order to do it in a day you have to bike in. Then you climb up this gully on loose boulders. There is one sketchy spot where there is a fixed rope. It's doable but I didn't like it. Just when it seems like you are there you still have over an hour to go. Coming back though is real nice becuase you can glissade the snow and run through the scree. Took me 11 hours round trip. Pick the right day becuase the peak is rarely out of the clouds and you don't want to miss the view after all that work.
    From your post, I take it you climbed from the East Fork side and not the Bold Ridge side. Am I correct?
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Default Stivers's Gully

Yep, take the east fork trail for a mile or so, then head up Stiver's gully. It's pretty obvious from the trail and there are some cairns that mark it.

University of Tennessee Volunteers Fan,
    I know that you are on your way down sound, possibly driving towards Boulder....
    ...but I just wanted to be sure that when you get a chance, post a trip report. I'll be interested to read what the outcome was on Thursday... what route did you take? Did you summit? Do you have pictures?
    Happy driving.
    It's raining right now in that area.
    Lurker.