Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PWS Halibut woes....

Default PWS Halibut woes....

So anyone else having their hole dry up right now. Last two trips out produced nadda. Just wondering if it is just me or if it seems to be the case all over. Guess I need to find a few new spots.

Anyone been to Needles, Montague, Latouche area lately?

Derrick
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default Same Here

Was there Jul 9th and 10th, all my spots were empty as well. Not a single bite, the tides were wrong and I had the wife and mother and did not try fishing deep. I think they are deep right now 300 and below, or run out to Hintchenbrook.

Steve

I gave the gear an honest soak all over the sound 6/28-7/10 and only came up with chickens few and far between @ 300' nothing shallow. Had to run to the gulf.

Default Hey D-man

We caught a 35# butt in near where we were saturday night. Did you guys get your limit of silvers? We gave up and went to the halibut hole. This morning was hot for silvers. Caught the rest of our limit in less than 20 minutes. Huge schools swimming on the surface. The last one I just dropped the jig down to where I could barely see it flickering. No time I had the last salmon and it was a monster. Roughly 30". Will try and get a pic of it tonight. Didn't get a chance to weight it but man, woulda been a derby winner if there was one. We cleaned up on the shrimp too. 220 in two pulls in two new spots. Thought that was pretty good. Even seen a nice blackie last night. Hey can you by chance email me that pic of us fishing. Well I hope you had a nice trip like we did. It is nice when the weather man is wrong, boy was he way off this weekend.

Default akrstabout

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    We caught a 35# butt in near where we were saturday night. Did you guys get your limit of silvers? We gave up and went to the halibut hole. This morning was hot for silvers. Caught the rest of our limit in less than 20 minutes. Huge schools swimming on the surface. The last one I just dropped the jig down to where I could barely see it flickering. No time I had the last salmon and it was a monster. Roughly 30". Will try and get a pic of it tonight. Didn't get a chance to weight it but man, woulda been a derby winner if there was one. We cleaned up on the shrimp too. 220 in two pulls in two new spots. Thought that was pretty good. Even seen a nice blackie last night. Hey can you by chance email me that pic of us fishing. Well I hope you had a nice trip like we did. It is nice when the weather man is wrong, boy was he way off this weekend.

Ended up with only 2 silvers. Think we showed up as it was slowing down. Tide change. Came back in and picked up the pots in the spot I told you about. Pulled around 75 but they were TINY! Was overall for fishing my worst trip this summer. Guess they can't all be great. The weather was AWESOME!!!

I'll get that pic off my camera.

D

I talked to someone today that went to Montague yesterday and between two boats only got 4 halibut. Why are they all moving deep? The water temp is up!

Default Shallow

Try shallow, we picked up a half dozen on Friday between 25 and 50lbs in
    65' of water.

Default agreed

We catch all of our halibut in 65 feet or less. Last summer and this summer we've caught our share fair of large halibut. 130 was the bigest last summer, 115 this summer is the biggest so far. But everything is in 65 feet or less.

Default 65 feet or less?

Can you divulge where without giving up too much? I have a tough time getting any in 300 foot of water. I do have electric reels so it is not too bad but some shallower waters in PWS would be a treat. I am going to Homer to get halibut unless I can get some decent spots in PWS.

Default yea

There really isnt one main spot, but the south ends of culross and knight islands have been pretty good for me. but then again we've caught them in the north part of the sound too, so they are really all over the place. Just got to find a few of them and go from there.

Default D-man

On sunday we went and achored in 40' of water for the silvers. It was unreal. One guy was trolling and another was anchored. Was unreal. I almost put on a snaggin hook as the schools were very large and 10' from the boat. But there was plenty still deep. It was wierd on saturday afternoon. I thought it was picking up, we caught two more then nobody was catching them. Of course it was right after we talked. The one guy was drifting right off the point, where I anchored the next day. Do you know if the silvers spawn in salt and don't have to be in the rivers? The fish I seen were swimming in circles.

My halibut hole is 150' deep. Every time we have fished now 5 times total 3 times we have caught halibut within 10 minutes of anchoring and only catch one. Then rock fish kick in. I too have heard of fish being caught in 30' of water. One spot is in the bay on ester with the fishery right off the docks 100#ers. The other spot is further out on a back side of an island. The guy was talking to my dad at his work. He said you could see the halibut swimming. They too caught a few large ones and limited out. I don't trust the seas in my boat to run that far.

I haven't been out in a week and plan on going out next week for silvers. A week ago, I was catching them just outside Main Bay. I don't want to burn that much fuel next weekend if I can help it. Can you tell me how close they're in now? Thanks.

Default the big one

the biggest was in the middle. measured exacty 30".
    Last edited by akrstabout; 08-27-2009 at 22:55.

Default Slim Pickings

We have been out on the east side of Story Island which usally does pretty good. This year only 2 fish about 30-35lb range in 350 ft. Real slow. The passage between Story and Peak Island there are two fish processors and wondered is fishing near them would do any good???

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

(between Story and Peak Island there are two fish processors and wondered is fishing near them would do any good) there is a couple of peeks there that raise up to about 100 feet we have tried them two or three time this year and only picked up a couple of chickens 20 40 lbs

This has been a strange year for us we have 5 boats here at work, and we all go down Valdez often. Last year my boat alone pulled in 6 fish over 100 and 6 more around 80. This year we have not had any luck nothing over 80lbs at all any of us fishing the same holes as last year. But on a lighter note just started to shrimp this year and the first time I 50 in three pulls, then I readjusted and was able to pull in 1200 the next three pulls.

But I will be down there this weekend giving it another try.

Default 1200 shrimp in 3 pulls?

If so, your one lucky dude. best I have done is 222 one pull and never had time to drop again. so... who knows how many I could brought home. last weekend 220 in two pulls.

Quote Originally Posted by kirkd123 View Post
    This year we have not had any luck nothing over 80lbs at all any of us fishing the same holes as last year.

Heck I would be happy with just a few 60#s! Only 2 caught this year all under 40#s. It's not for lack of trying!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

The last five weekends we have been fishing the shore of Montegue and have had no problem catching small 20-30 lbr's. Our biggest this year is 100. Last weekend the ling cod really started biting and we had to quit keeping even the keepers after two hours. We used jigs almost exclusively, with pink/white and green/white skirts. Most of our bigger fish were between 100' and 150' and on the breaks. There was definite difference between fishing the slack and ebb tides (couldn't stop the bite) and the incoming and outgoing tides (sometimes 10-15 minutes between bites). If you have the range and acceptable weather, try the shoreline breaks at Montegue.

kceder: sent you a PM

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Went out yesterday. Fished two new spots I have heard good about and wanted to try. Tried 100ft, 125ft, and 160ft. Nadda...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast