Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Helicopter ?

One of the issues is that both regulations mention no transportation of hunting gear- that could be pretty inclusive. As Dave states- checking with F&G and getting in writing (and notarized) if you get the ok, but it seems like a no-go if reading regs. I understand what you are saying about difficulty getting to the site now, but I have a feeling that powers to be would not care about your difficulties. It would set a legal precedent for all sorts of things like time afield to be ok, what is considered an exception, etc. I certainly would not take a chance personally. Now if you had a large drone.....

So I asked a trooper at the Sportmans Show in Anchorage - Say I have a cabin on and Island and I take my helicopter there. I then take my boat that is already there and head back to town and return via boat. Then hunt, is what I am doing illegal? He wouldn't give me a black and white answer. But the short and skinny of it, was the intent of what I was doing. If it is your permanent residence and you are using a helicopter to just get in and out and not to HUNT specifically you would be ok.

Supporting Member

If I was on your jury, I'd give you a pass. Your being transported to your cabin. Your not a hunter yet. Your a hunter when you put your hunting clothes on, and grab your gear, leave your cabin, and go out hunting. If a helicopter is the only way to get to your cabin, it is what it is. Shouldn't be any different than if I had a chopper drop me off at the house, and hunted a few days later.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    If I was on your jury, I'd give you a pass. Your being transported to your cabin. Your not a hunter yet. Your a hunter when you put your hunting clothes on, and grab your gear, leave your cabin, and go out hunting. If a helicopter is the only way to get to your cabin, it is what it is. Shouldn't be any different than if I had a chopper drop me off at the house, and hunted a few days later.

That opens both doors and cans of worms.

So if I go build myself a cabin in some gnarly sheep/goat country that’s only accessible by chopper, I should then be able to hunt that area from a helicopter as long as I make a pit stop at my cabin first?

And I still maintain, hot air balloon would be an amazing way to hunt AK and is not specifically referenced anywhere.

Supporting Member

If you own some land up there.......

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    That opens both doors and cans of worms.

So if I go build myself a cabin in some gnarly sheep/goat country that’s only accessible by chopper, I should then be able to hunt that area from a helicopter as long as I make a pit stop at my cabin first?

And I still maintain, hot air balloon would be an amazing way to hunt AK and is not specifically referenced anywhere.
    how did you get the material to build this cabin, into this super gnarly sheep/goat country?

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    how did you get the material to build this cabin, into this super gnarly sheep/goat country?

Good point. Let’s say I bought it and don’t know how it was originally built.

How did the OP get materials to his cabin? Seems like ADF&G is not gonna have much sympathy because the weather hasn’t cooperated and give a green light to break a game law to get to this cabin. Probably just tell you that’s one of the things you should have considered when building/buying.

Seems like a gray area between going in there to live for six months and going in there to hunt, regardless of duration. Definitely something I’d want in writing before I did it.

Then again, I’d just fast rope from a hot air balloon.

Supporting Member

Just north of Nikiski in Gray Cliff there is a cabin the owners paid to have the materials choppered in. I tried to get them to let me haul the materials in by truck and build the cabin. I built 25 of them out there. Well they didn't believe it could be done that way even though I was doing it. Anyway, they choppered them in. I guess they better stop hunting at that place, or anywhere near it. Even though it's been 32 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Kandiyohi Kid View Post
    This is probably a better question for the "Ask a trooper" area but it doesn't seem like it's been active for long time. What would the legality be to use a helicopter to get dropped off at a cabin I own and hunting? If i got dropped off stayed for 6 mos I can't hunt during that time? The law says you can't transport game meat. Does that mean if I fly in a helicopter with a pack of moose pepper sticks I'm breaking the law?

Thanks-

KK
    Frequently the law is stupid and contradicts itself because it is so stupid. It is a byproduct if electing folks who should not be makers of law.
    “I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” Physicist ― Richard Feynman

This question, and various iterations of it, has come up again and again. As someone who lived in the bush for a long time, there have been instances when we've had to use helicopter for access during times when no other access was available, typically around breakup and freezeup times, and typically it was due to an injury or sickness and someone had to get out to see a doc.This has also come up in light of the "transporter" regulations...say Leif at Fortymile Air is flying me back home after a trip to town, I bought a new rifle, it's middle of summer, does Fortymile have to fill out a transporter report form because they flew in a "hunter" with a new rifle, even though no hunting seasons were in place?

What I was told by Troopers was that it's all about "intent." Are you using a helicopter or airplane for hunting purposes? Or are you using it to just access your remote cabin? What if a rifle or other hunting "gear" is on board? Tent, ammo, etc? The intent of the law is about fair chase, and not making it too easy to hunt and transport game via use of helicopter that can land pretty much anywhere. The intent is not to punish those who need access to remote properties and claim they cannot bring any hunting gear or related items via helicopter to those remote properties. I know plenty of people with remote properties who have used helos to bring in four wheelers or other items, to be used down the line for hunting, and it doesn't fall under the "can't do" intent of the law.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    What I was told by Troopers was that it's all about "intent." Are you using a helicopter or airplane for hunting purposes? Or are you using it to just access your remote cabin? What if a rifle or other hunting "gear" is on board? Tent, ammo, etc? The intent of the law is about fair chase, and not making it too easy to hunt and transport game via use of helicopter that can land pretty much anywhere. The intent is not to punish those who need access to remote properties and claim they cannot bring any hunting gear or related items via helicopter to those remote properties. I know plenty of people with remote properties who have used helos to bring in four wheelers or other items, to be used down the line for hunting, and it doesn't fall under the "can't do" intent of the law.
    But wait!!! You mean common sense can still play a part in this society? Will wonders never cease???!!!….lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I don't know about now, but fifty years ago guides were required by law, "To use all means at their disposal, to finish and recover a wounded animal". We were advised that included a Bell "Jet Ranger" we had access to, but never needed to use. Was close to needed for a nice Ram, once.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    But wait!!! You mean common sense can still play a part in this society? Will wonders never cease???!!!….lol
    I agree that it is nice to see common sense playing a part in enforcement of the law. The problem that I see is that “intent” is not mentioned in the law. In fact the law specifically states that there is only one scenario in which one can lawfully utilize a helicopter(emergency).

i would not want to sit in front of a judge who knows nothing of this law except what is written in the statute.

Quote Originally Posted by JBrown1 View Post
    I agree that it is nice to see common sense playing a part in enforcement of the law. The problem that I see is that “intent” is not mentioned in the law. In fact the law specifically states that there is only one scenario in which one can lawfully utilize a helicopter(emergency).

i would not want to sit in front of a judge who knows nothing of this law except what is written in the statute.

It’s also subjective.

People are always trying to get around a regulation. The law is pretty unambiguous. No hunting if you used a helicopter to get to where you started hunting or hauled any gear in it.

Unit 6 B has a registration hunt for moose. The first few days of the hunt you aren't allowed to access the hunt in a motor vehicle except in an auto on the Copper River Highway. Realistically, this means only a fraction of the area of the hunt is accessible the first few days. you can't even take a boat to the far eastern or southern edge of the area and walk in and hunt. The purpose of this rule is to have a hunt everyone in Cordova can participate in without having to get drawn for a permit. Since there is a quota of moose that can be taken before the hunt gets shut down, If airboats are allowed the hunt would get shut down in a day or two. This gives access to all instead of just airboat owners. And every year a few walk in hunters get moose before it's opened up to planes boats and airboats for transportation. Guys who are already out fishing silvers in their gillnetters can't take a moose until the unit opens up to motor vehicles. No exceptions.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    This question, and various iterations of it, has come up again and again. As someone who lived in the bush for a long time, there have been instances when we've had to use helicopter for access during times when no other access was available, typically around breakup and freezeup times, and typically it was due to an injury or sickness and someone had to get out to see a doc.This has also come up in light of the "transporter" regulations...say Leif at Fortymile Air is flying me back home after a trip to town, I bought a new rifle, it's middle of summer, does Fortymile have to fill out a transporter report form because they flew in a "hunter" with a new rifle, even though no hunting seasons were in place?

Asking someone else to define my "intent" is sort of like asking for the definition of "is", IMO. If I tell a trooper, "That was NOT my intention", who is he (or anyone else) to contradict me? Yet, it happens everyday and people get punished for "intending" to do something that was not their intention at all. Laws are crafted, by lawyers for the most part, to benefit lawyers by creating loopholes, using intentionally murky language that seems to contradict itself from one paragraph to the next or by expecting second and third parties to determine someone else's intentions.

Quote Originally Posted by twodux View Post
    People are always trying to get around a regulation. The law is pretty unambiguous. No hunting if you used a helicopter to get to where you started hunting or hauled any gear in it.

Unit 6 B has a registration hunt for moose. The first few days of the hunt you aren't allowed to access the hunt in a motor vehicle except in an auto on the Copper River Highway. Realistically, this means only a fraction of the area of the hunt is accessible the first few days. you can't even take a boat to the far eastern or southern edge of the area and walk in and hunt. The purpose of this rule is to have a hunt everyone in Cordova can participate in without having to get drawn for a permit. Since there is a quota of moose that can be taken before the hunt gets shut down, If airboats are allowed the hunt would get shut down in a day or two. This gives access to all instead of just airboat owners. And every year a few walk in hunters get moose before it's opened up to planes boats and airboats for transportation. Guys who are already out fishing silvers in their gillnetters can't take a moose until the unit opens up to motor vehicles. No exceptions.
    I fly in a helicopter for work. So if I fly for work on Thursday go moose hunting Friday after work am I risking a court date? Seems by this logic I am

"Officer, I intended for that moose to be 50 inches...that counts, right?"....
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Need to get Randy Newberg up here again, a strong advocate for helicopters indeed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12