Thread: Hunting Macomb herd

Default Hunting Macomb herd

I was looking for info on the hunting in the Tok managment area for some Caribou. What is the accessablilty, can I get around on a 4 wheeler, or am I looking at hiking or what. Any help I would appriciate.

Default Macomb Herd

If you are looking at the RC835 hunt in the TMA there are a couple access points that the sheep hunters use. But they are not real ATV friendly as there only a few trails in the unit 12 section but that shouldn't be a problem as you only have to hike 2-3 miles until the mountains take off except if you are hunting along the Roberson. On the west side of the Roberson there are a few rideable trails but be careful as there are restricted areas if you wonder west much. Also there are several private land holdings and cabins on both sides of the river that have access from the Alaska highway. The caribou are few and far between in that area and can be hard to spot due to the thick black spruce but they can be there almost anytime.

Most of the DC825 hunt is done within the DCU...Delta Controlled Use Area....hike in only for first part of season....

The harvest limit for Macomb caribou is low and the hunt closes pretty quickly. Most successful hunters use horses to access the area.