Thread: lAke Louise travel information

Default lAke Louise travel information

Traveling on Louise, Susitna and Tyone Lakes.

On Saturday (December 14) 5 of us needed to travel to our respective cabins to check on them and also the lake/ice conditions. Here's what we found.

Traveling from Lake Louise Lodge to Blue Berry Cove along the east shore of Lake Louise - good traveling with very little overflow encountered.

From the channel, along the west shore of Susitna Lake Island to the north end of Lake Susitna - good traveling with little overflow encountered.

Land Bridge to Back Bay of Lake Susitna - good conditions.

Traveling from Back Bay to the channel along the east side of Lake Susitna...we traveled pretty much down the middle of the Lake and found very little overflow and good conditions. We did try a route down the middle of Lake Susitna on the West Side and encountered a great deal of overflow.

Traveling to Tyone River through Tyone Lake, stay on the west shoreline. The narrow channels are open in spots and the ice looked very thin. Open water on Tyone River so stay close to the shore.

On Sunday, we traveled back to Lake Louise Lodge from Back Bay on the east side of Lake Susitna to the Channel and then along the West Shore of Lake Louise. A great deal of traveling has already occurred along the West Shore of Lake Louise but all in close proximity to the shore. We did venture out further and found some overflow.

Take home message - traveling on the 3 lakes can be done safely if you stick to where we traveled. If you have to travel down along the West Side of Susitna Lake be careful and stick close to shore. Travel in groups and until the Lake Louise Snowmachine Club is able to install the trail markers be careful traveling in ice fog conditions or at night. Our goal is to start installing the markers shortly after Christmas.

The clouds rolled in the temp jumped up to 4 this morning, snow in the forecast, ice and overflow conditions are getting very good! The snowmachine club will be marking trails right after Christmas!

I rode back to the mouth of the Tyone river yesterday and all the narrows and channels were froze over. Iím not sure what the ice thicknesses in those area so stay on the trails that are in place. I ran down the middle of Susitna and found a couple patches of overflow including one that opened up Saturday night that I found on the way out on Sunday. There is anywhere from a couple inches to almost a foot of snow on the lake with about ten inches of ice underneath so overflow will still be poping up for some time. The Louise to Susitna channel is froze over and the trail actually cuts across the mouth on the Susitna side. Be careful out there and make sure if your driving a diesel to take the precautions necessary to start them in subzero temps.

Quote Originally Posted by Akhardwater View Post
    I rode back to the mouth of the Tyone river yesterday and all the narrows and channels were froze over. Iím not sure what the ice thicknesses in those area so stay on the trails that are in place. I ran down the middle of Susitna and found a couple patches of overflow including one that opened up Saturday night that I found on the way out on Sunday. There is anywhere from a couple inches to almost a foot of snow on the lake with about ten inches of ice underneath so overflow will still be poping up for some time. The Louise to Susitna channel is froze over and the trail actually cuts across the mouth on the Susitna side. Be careful out there and make sure if your driving a diesel to take the precautions necessary to start them in subzero temps.
    Righton glad you made er out and hope you had a chance to drop a line or two.

Iíd love to get out there and get a couple nice burbs.