Thread: Need a load

Default Need a load

I bought a used Weatherby Mark V Deluxe 340 with an answer brake installed.

I have shot several loads thru the rifle and have not found anything worth keeping. Best load so far has been a sierra 215 grain spbt at 3200 ftps. It was about 1.75"@100 yards. In my book that is terrible. This is my best load.

Does anyone have any loads that are accurate and powerful for the 340 weatherby mag that they would not mind sharing. I am coming to Alaska the first of Sept. and would like to use the rifle for moose. If I can not get a load worked up I will bring my 300 ultra mag.

Thanks for any help.
    Barko

1.75" is way plenty good for moose, even at long range. I know it's not very thrilling on the range to shoot those kinds of groups, but they're no excuse to leave the 340 at home on a moose hunt.

I haven't loaded for a 340 in years, but both mine and a friend's seemed more sensitive to changes in bullet seating depth than to small changes in powder charges. We wrote it off to the long lead or throat in Weatherby chambers, but it did make a big difference as we started seating the bullets out further. Gotta watch for pressure jumps if you take away too much of the lead, but if you're not working with an absolute max load in the first place, it might be worth exploring. We shot our first test loads to find a powder charge that showed the most promise, then stuck with that and started monkeying with OAL. I'm not near my logs right now so I can't tell you which powder or charge was best for us, but we started out with groups well over an inch and were able to tune them down to pretty close to an inch.

I will try working with that load that is 1.75". I usually dont start working with OAL until I am under an inch. But you are right Weatherby has alot of bullet jump. I hadn't thought about it that much until you said mess with OAL and weatherby's long throat.

Thanks for the reply
    barko

How are you planing to keep the moose proped up after the first shot? In other words, how will you ever finish your group? Even if you can shoot zero groups with the rifle, what good is that if you can't get the animal to stand up for the group?

I worry more about the bullet staying togather when it hits the moose.

I have a case of the Serria Match Kings .338, I know are more accurate than what you are shooting. Don't think for a moment that I will hunt with them.

First of all thoroughly clean the rifling so it's squeaky clean, followed by a few oil-soaked patches, and then followed by clean dry patches to remove most of the oil. Shoot a group of three shots at the range, and see what happens.

Instead of your reloads, use some factory ammo with 250-grain bullets. Do this after cleaning the rifle as I mentioned above. Also, 1-1/2" at 100 yards is not bad at all. You should still be able to shoot a 10" paper plate at 250-300 yards (depending on the scope's power), which is of a diameter smaller than a moose's killing zone.

Finally, even one's finger can pull the shot off center, so the only way to tell if the rifle is more accurate than you are is by using a rifle rest/vise.

Thumbs up 340 Load

225 Nosler AB @ IMR 7828 @ 88.0 2892 FPS
    or
    250 Part @ 86.0 2826 FPS Favorite

Fed 215 or WLRM primers
    3.66" COL
    Alaska

I've loaded for two Weatherby rifles and both have done well with Barnes TSX's. I think they worked well together because Barnes recommends a long distance of the lands and the Weatherby rifles have a long throat.