Thread: Our Brian?

Default Our Brian?

https://www.ktva.com/story/41457015/...laska-students

Not to out your last name, but Bravo!!!!

Very cool Brian. Way to make a positive difference. Not many teachers willing to stick their neck out there in this day of PC/Snowflake society. Bravo!!

Just saw that, very cool! Nice job, Brian.

Nice story about it in the paper Sunday. https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/educ...t-interesting/

Too bad you couldn't get her out of the woods whole, Brian. No help available?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Logged on to see if anyone posted info on this yet ... can't give enough kudos to Brian for educating high-schoolers on hunting and putting healthy game meat on the table. Great job, Brian, thank you!

Yes indeed, super cool! Brian is my son's biology teacher at Chugiak and he only has great things to say about Mr. Mason. Our school system could use a few more teachers like him.

Thank you guys! I really appreciate the kind words. Honestly, I don't deserve any of the recognition - there are at least two members here who have been doing this with their students for years, and I have another friend in Talkeetna that does this regularly with his roadkill club kids. Still, thank you. It was a pretty awesome day.

Huge thanks to Alaska Butcher Equipment & Supply for donating the use of sealers and grinders - this project wouldn't have worked without their help.

Great story about Alaskan kids learning Alaska ways!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Nice story about it in the paper Sunday. https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/educ...t-interesting/

Too bad you couldn't get her out of the woods whole, Brian. No help available?
    Had help that day, but the moose took a few too many steps after I double lunged her and ended up in a place we couldn’t move her from. Probably for the best, as the next day was 48 degrees and school was cancelled, so I would have had to skin it to keep things cool anyhow. Next time...

Supporting Member

We have a teacher here in Nikiski that takes kids on a community hunt. They also do the butchering.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Awesome stuff, Brian! Invaluable learning opportunity for the kids in your class, especially those who have not grown up hunting and/or fishing.

Thats great. Probably the best learning experiece in class those kids will have all year. I am sure most have never seen the process of harvesting and taking care of the meat. Way to go Brian

That sounds like a good program Brian. Good for you helping teach those kids. I'm curious about something. The article mentioned that the meat was donated to a charity. Mind sharing what charity it was donated to?

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    That sounds like a good program Brian. Good for you helping teach those kids. I'm curious about something. The article mentioned that the meat was donated to a charity. Mind sharing what charity it was donated to?
    Yeah, I didn't really like the use of that word. I think it's explained a bit better in the video. Anyhow, our initial plan was to donate most of it to families in our community through the Eagle River Food Pantry. They really wanted it, but couldn't take it due to regulations of their parent organization (or that is my understanding of it, anyhow). Instead we have identified families in our school that could use some help. We're still in the process of distributing all of it, but last week we were able to help two families and we're going to be able to help out a few more this week.

Okay Brian, I’m a little embarrassed to say this, but my family is really in need of some moose back strap, so if you have any left, we will gladly accept a handout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well done Brian, Or in Navy Speak Bravo Zulu

I've always seen Brian as a man of good values and excellent character, and this recent story is another example. I am thankful and very much appreciate having people like Brian in our public schools teaching our youth.

Thank you Brian!

I know who I am calling next time I am blessed with a moose. LOL

Well done sir, well done!

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I know who I am calling next time I am blessed with a moose. LOL

Well done sir, well done!
    That's pretty great of you, also, to donate your moose to Brian's class so they can learn some awesome real life stuff, and to help feed some people who can use the help.