Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 51 of 51

Thread: Hand Loading for the 454 Casull - Wow, what a minefield

  1. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    654

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post

    You don't need a load that is on the ragged edge of safe pressure, anyway. A 454 load in 45 C brass is doable, but the need for it is dubious, IMO.


    Smitty of the North

    My question was about 45C loads in .454 brass.

    I also mentioned OAL being adjusted to match 45C parameters so there would not be more free space in the case.

    I understand the longer 454 case having more "grip" after the crimp and that could cause issues, But the crimp can be backed off and resolve the issue.

    I'm gonna search for 454 reloading sites and see what pops up

  2. #42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chez View Post
    My question was about 45C loads in .454 brass.

    I also mentioned OAL being adjusted to match 45C parameters so there would not be more free space in the case.

    I understand the longer 454 case having more "grip" after the crimp and that could cause issues, But the crimp can be backed off and resolve the issue.

    I'm gonna search for 454 reloading sites and see what pops up
    if you're planning on trimming the 454 to 45 brass length, then i would imagine the other factor to consider would be internal dimensions. i'm not sure but it's possible that the 454 case has thicker walls than the 45 and, if trimmed to the same length as a 45 case, it may have less capacity. that smaller capacity would, obviously, lead to higher pressures in the trimmed 454 case. i would take both cases (45 and 454) trimmed to the identical lengths that you plan on using for your loads and fill them with water and weigh them both. if the weights are the same then i wouldn't be too concerned (except for head stamps possibly causing confusion in the future and putting a 454 load in a 454 case trimmed to 45 dimensions would cause problems). if you end up evaluating the internal capacities of the two cases trimmed to 45 lengths please post. although i have no interest in doing any loads like that, it is something that would be interesting to know.

  3. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    9,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chez View Post
    My question was about 45C loads in .454 brass.

    I also mentioned OAL being adjusted to match 45C parameters so there would not be more free space in the case.

    I understand the longer 454 case having more "grip" after the crimp and that could cause issues, But the crimp can be backed off and resolve the issue.

    I'm gonna search for 454 reloading sites and see what pops up
    O K, Got it.

    Why not just load the 454 case to 45 Colt velocity?

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  4. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    654

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    O K, Got it.

    Why not just load the 454 case to 45 Colt velocity?

    Smitty of the North
    I would but I cant find published loads that light and I don't want to experiment with a partially filled case that could go boom in the wrong direction or the load that is so light it turns into a squib.

  5. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    654

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ak-fang View Post
    if you're planning on trimming the 454 to 45 brass length, then i would imagine the other factor to consider would be internal dimensions. i'm not sure but it's possible that the 454 case has thicker walls than the 45 and, if trimmed to the same length as a 45 case, it may have less capacity. that smaller capacity would, obviously, lead to higher pressures in the trimmed 454 case. i would take both cases (45 and 454) trimmed to the identical lengths that you plan on using for your loads and fill them with water and weigh them both. if the weights are the same then i wouldn't be too concerned (except for head stamps possibly causing confusion in the future and putting a 454 load in a 454 case trimmed to 45 dimensions would cause problems). if you end up evaluating the internal capacities of the two cases trimmed to 45 lengths please post. although i have no interest in doing any loads like that, it is something that would be interesting to know.
    If I take the time to trim cases I might as well just go buy 45C cases and be done with it. If I had a fired 45C case I could measure the wall thickness for you and compare to the 454

  6. #46
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    9,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chez View Post
    I would but I cant find published loads that light and I don't want to experiment with a partially filled case that could go boom in the wrong direction or the load that is so light it turns into a squib.
    I take it, that you don't have a chronograph.

    I think that the difference in 454 and 45C is not one primarily of case capacity, but allowed pressure and strength of the guns chambered for them.

    It shouldn't be too difficult to come up with a light load. I would think that a 45C load in a 454 case, would NOT be a Squib.

    I understand your desire for published data. I'll look for such.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  7. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    9,184

    Default

    I suggest, do a search for "Light 454 loads.

    Smitty of the North "
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  8. #48
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    11,622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    It shouldn't be too difficult to come up with a light load. I would think that a 45C load in a 454 case, would NOT be a Squib.
    As far as I'm concerned, that Buf Bore 45colt 325 grn @ 1325 load that I shoot sure wouldn't be considered a "squib". When you look at 454 ballistics, I've always thought of it as a "light" 454 round.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  9. #49

    Default

    how light of a load you looking for? is there a fps you're aiming to achieve or just a 'perceived' recoil you trying to get? there are plenty of cowboy loads out there but they're for .45C. i would consider that the safest approach to get a light load...buy 100 cases of 45 colt and load 'em up at with published cowboy action loads.
    speaking of cowboy actions loads. i did come across some fun info a while back (long enough that my details may be inaccurate). apparently, for many of the quickdraw competitions they have special cases with larger primer pockets that allow a primer just to drop in with finger pressure. a wax bullet is then pushed in the case and they're off to the races. this is something that you could even practice with in a garage. put up a plywood backstop, pin some balloons to it, and pop 'em with the wax bullet.

  10. #50
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Eureka MT
    Posts
    3,184

    Default

    Pick any 45 Colt book load using Unique, 2400, HS6, Herco, Red Dot, 231, Universal, Blue Dot, AA 5, AA9 or other powders in this burn range and you will be fine loading them in 454 cases. SEE only happens with very light loads ( way under min book loads). The difference in case capacity between the 45 Colt and the 454 Casull could cause a small loss in velocity but you could move up to max 45 Colt loads with no issues. Don't download H110/W296. Most fast pistol powders are fine to download but I wouldn't push them much below mininum 45 Colt loads in the 454.

  11. #51
    Member kobuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ak-fang View Post
    how light of a load you looking for? is there a fps you're aiming to achieve or just a 'perceived' recoil you trying to get? there are plenty of cowboy loads out there but they're for .45C. i would consider that the safest approach to get a light load...buy 100 cases of 45 colt and load 'em up at with published cowboy action loads.
    speaking of cowboy actions loads. i did come across some fun info a while back (long enough that my details may be inaccurate). apparently, for many of the quickdraw competitions they have special cases with larger primer pockets that allow a primer just to drop in with finger pressure. a wax bullet is then pushed in the case and they're off to the races. this is something that you could even practice with in a garage. put up a plywood backstop, pin some balloons to it, and pop 'em with the wax bullet.
    I bought the brass and wax bullets from a quick draw website. They actually use a shotgun primer and they just drop in and after just fall out, no press needed like when I tried wax bullets with regular primers. The wax bullets just press in with a finger. I just strung up a heavy moving blanket over a rope for a backstop and then set up a bunch of plastic bottles on a short sawhorse. It is a lot of fun and amazingly accurate as far as I can shoot in my garage which is 32 feet. It is a great winter time plinking session. Just sweep up the little orange wax bullets when done. My buddy bought the ones for a 357 and I guess those can be pretty dangerous because they are pretty powerfull. I've never shot mine outside so can't say how far they will shoot accurately.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •