Thread: Late December hunt

Default Late December hunt

Looks like Iíll have some time off between Christmas and new year. Any suggestions for a hunting trip? Preferably big game? I know kodiak deer is still open but howís the conditions? Any other ideas? Iím in Anchorage

Maybe find a transporter to do a PWS deer hunt out of Whittier.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

I did a late Dec. Kodiak deer hunt about 5 years ago and I don't think I'll do that again. We went to the southern part of the island, a spot that I've been to several times and has always been very good, but the deer had pretty much all gone nocturnal. Every day we'd see fresh tracks on the beach, so we knew they were there, but saw very few deer in the week prior to Xmas that we hunted. 4 hunters, I think we saw 4 or 5 deer total in that timeframe between the 4 of us, and only came home with one deer. Have you given any thought to a goat hunt down there? That's what I'd be doing if I were in your situation, and you might just get lucky and come home with a few deer to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by wildwilderness View Post
    Looks like Iíll have some time off between Christmas and new year. Any suggestions for a hunting trip? Preferably big game? I know kodiak deer is still open but howís the conditions? Any other ideas? Iím in Anchorage
    There will be few with antlers at that time of the year. Not sure if thatís important to you or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk