Thread: Sportjet - metal flakes in gear oil?

Default Sportjet - metal flakes in gear oil?

Afternoon everyone. I need some advice on a 2007 sportjet.

I'm running Phantom Sportjon with the 200hp. Last summer I went through the fun of water in the gas from a station somewhere in Manitoba to a lift pump that went out on me ten miles from camp on that same trip. Anyways, I finally got it fixed, or so I thought once I got home to Minnesota. The few times I had it out, it still seemed to run a bit rough. Then this fall when winterizing and changing the gear oil, there was a lot of silver metal flakes in it. Any thoughts on what am I getting into now? Where do I start?

Thanks,

Dan

Me, I'd disassemble the unit until I found what parts are rubbing and or are polished.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Yep. Metal flakes in a gear box is not good. Could be the shaft, bearings, housing, or a combination of several things. Get into it and find the issue.

Nothing good will come of that. Sounds like a jet rebuild coming up--$$$$.

From experience working with aircraft, an option for you is to get the oil tested. Ideally, you would have a baseline but the test would still tell you what metals in what concentrations are in your oil. The most difficult part may be getting with the manufacturer of the gear box to discuss likely failure points that contain magnesium for example.
    I have no experience with the companies that perform these tests so I can't give a recommendation. (I bent wrenches, not staples )

A quick search shows a standard test costs $28. No affiliation, to these guys, they were just the first result.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/test...n0ak3zbjt))%2f