Thread: 35 whelen barrel length

Default 35 whelen barrel length

Having a .270 rebored to .35 whelen, currently a 22 inch barrel but am considering having it cut/crowned at 20.5 or 21. Wonít make any practical difference as far as shooting is concerned, more an issue of mobility and ergonomics. Iím a shorter guy and the shorter barrel length works better for me. Iím just not sure whether taking off an inch will make enough difference for it to be worth it, thought Iíd ask for some opinions here... of course I can always leave it and have it cut later if desired, but itís significantly cheaper to do it at the same time as the rebore.

Well,,,,, if it were me, I'd leave it @ 22", I have several Long Guns @ .35 Cal. and up to my .375 Wby. all @ 22", it just works.
    TG
    [ USMC 1st Marine Div. 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi ]

Cut it if that makes it handier for you. Anything you point it at wonít know the difference.

I think it depends on the intended use. If it was going to be a bear gun, then I might change it to 18". If it is going to be an "all around" rifle I'd probably leave it. One of mine is 22" and the other 24". The 24" is on a single shot action so even at that length, the overall rife is shorter than my 22". The 24" only weights about 5 pounds and is a kick to shoot, on both ends.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Thanks guys. I think Iím gonna leave it for now. Iíll be re-stocking it as well, and putting on a new optic, so will wait to see how it handles when itís all built and then decide if it needs to be shorter. Itís just a question of saving $75 if I have it cut at the same time itís rebored, but maybe better not to be penny wise and pound foolish.

I know I'm tagging in here late (just saw the post), but I think you made a good decision. You can always have it cut later if need be, but you can't have it put back on. A 22" barrel is still real handy, and I suspect that you'll keep it as is...and save money in the long run!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I know I'm tagging in here late (just saw the post), but I think you made a good decision. You can always have it cut later if need be, but you can't have it put back on. A 22" barrel is still real handy, and I suspect that you'll keep it as is...and save money in the long run!
    Thanks Doc. All set to ship it down to JES today for reboring, pretty excited about this project. Have the stock waiting and the optic is being shipped!

How did the recording job go? Iím considering having a SS Ruger 77 in 30-06 rebored to 35 Whelen.