Thread: Suppressed 7mm-08

Default Suppressed 7mm-08

I sent a stainless model 70 SA into a gun smith about a month ago. I was going to have him make into a light weight whitetail rifle for hunting in the dakotas, and also for caribou and black bear. Well I got talked talked into buying a suppressor at the last gun show I went to. Buy one and get a 22LR suppressor for just the tax stamp. Well I think that a suppressor 22 would just be a lot of fun. Anyways I called the smith today he hasn't started with the build yet. I asked him about the can ect. We came up with a sendaro contour carbon wrapped cut to 18" threaded with thread protector, for the stock a McMillion a hunter carbon stock, Talley rings with a VXIII 2.5x8 in the caliber of 7-08. The only thing that he wants to do that I'm not a big fan of is he would like a mag well with a 5 round mag and I prefer just regular old model 70 hinged floor plate which I was going to get one from pacific tool and gauge aluminum one. Im not a fan of mags, because I have forgotten my mag before. I have never had a suppressor gun before and was a little worried about loosing FPS with that short of a barrel, but he said the Suppressor will actually help with that and gain me about 150 fps. Im hoping to keep the rifle at 8lbs or less. Anyone have any input on a build like this. My ultimate goal is a suppressed handy rifle shooting 140TTSX at 2700FPS. Anyone with experience think this is achievable in weight and FPS. Some info i left out. The Suppressor is a banish 30 TI and can be either 7" weights 8 ounces or 9" and weights in at 13 ounces.

Sounds like a nice rifle/suppressor combo. You mentioned that you want 2700fps. You did not state if your quest is for a more quite rifle or if you seek a truely surpressed rifle. The speed of soundis aprox 1100fps subject to altitude, temp, humidity and probably other factors I don't know or understand. If you break the speed limit you create a sonic boom, ie noise.
    As far as your mv going up, that is true but usually only on shorter barreled rifles. That is it, why that happens, how is beyond my understanding. I have seen that happen on 30 cal guns over a chronograph and I would GUESS it should happen on any caliber. You will notice that sometimes 22's will be absolutely quiet next day they have a slight crack.

Itís certainly doable. 7-08 performance doesnít suffer greatly from a shorter barrel. I shoot suppressed on the .30 cals on down to .223 with the same can. I canít say that Iíve seen 150fps increase in velocity with it though, especially with a 7mm bullet going through a hole made for a .30. Be that as it may, I do see an accuracy benefit all the way around. And the recoil is nothing. 2 complaints are the BS/extra $$$ to get one, and the heat build up. The mirage it generates is significant especially in the winter over snow, hard to see through the scope after 4-5 rounds. Get a silicone cover for it for range work.

A word or 3 on the PTG bottom metal: get a Williams instead, or Sunny Hill. Iím with you, I donít like an exposed mag on a hunting gun. Floor plate or blind mag.

Have fun with it. You wonít want to shoot anything that isnít suppressed anymore if youíre like me.

Sounds like a cool setup. In my experience the suppressor only adds 10-15 fps tops in the few I have.

That said this rifle below shoots 130 grain bullets at 2790 fps out of its 16" barrel in the 6.5 cm.

I would think if you handload you should easily be able to get 2700 fps out of 140s and a 7-08.

The other 6.5 CM I had and shot suppressed was an 18" barrel and that shot 147s at 2720 fps.

I don't mind shorty rifles at all.

Especially handy when in the pack and only screw the suppressor on when ya get into the hunt area.

Back 10 years or so I built a .260 on a Stevens 200 action and a 18" barrel. I used an AAC .308 can and it worked just fine holding down muzzle blast and didn't affect accuracy any significant amount but POI changed a lot depending upon the load. Of course, you still get the supersonic crack but the deer I shot never seemed to care much....leading me to believe a 22"or 24" barrel without the can resulted in roughly the same length and less weight and higher velocity so I went back to ear plugs and my Rem Mod 7 in .260 and lived happily thereafter.

Cans are great on bolt action .22's with good subs.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.