Thread: Polaris Hawkeye dies when throttled - fuel flow?

Default Polaris Hawkeye dies when throttled - fuel flow?

Took my wife's 2006 Polaris Hawkeye 300 ATV out a couple weeks ago and got about a half mile up the road before it died. I can get it to idle fine, but when I hit the throttle, it kills it. I figured I'd start with the easy, obvious places and replaced the white fuel filter that is under the seat. What I discovered when I pulled the hose for it is that there was no fuel in it. I can get the machine running at idle and pull the hose, no fuel runs through there. This makes no sense to me - that fuel would not run through the fuel filter? I'm going to back track to the pump and may end up pulling the carb to clean/rebuild, but any other ideas of what to look for would be much appreciated.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Attachment 98545

This is the filter I replaced.

Likely the electronics in the throttle that are there in case the throttle gets stuck. I'd bet on it.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Likely the electronics in the throttle that are there in case the throttle gets stuck. I'd bet on it.
    I checked that. The spacing between the electrodes is sufficient and is not touching when I hit the throttle. I also read on another site that an easy way to check that part is to simply unplug those electronics there at the black box by the throttle, basically disabling that safety feature. I did that and it's still doing the same thing, dying when I hit the throttle. So I don't think it's that.

What I don't understand is that the tube where that white fuel filter is - there is no fuel flowing through that tube. Is that correct? Seems completely wrong to me. Why would you put a filter there if no fuel is going through it. But it idles fine, so I'm not sure how the fuel is getting to the carb.

I like to start simple- you have fresh gas? Air spray out the carb and spray carb cleaner to see if it helps. If not I would clean the jets. Good luck. Just an fyi people have been getting crudded up diaphragms from ethanol and using regular stabil versus stabil 360 which was recommended by a Honda technician.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    I like to start simple- you have fresh gas? Air spray out the carb and spray carb cleaner to see if it helps. If not I would clean the jets. Good luck. Just an fyi people have been getting crudded up diaphragms from ethanol and using regular stabil versus stabil 360 which was recommended by a Honda technician.
    I’m going to drain the tank and start fresh on that. But that still doesn’t answer my question asto why there is no fuel running through the fuel filter…?I don’t get why it wouldn’t flow throughthere.And if it’s not going through there,where is it coming from to get to the carb, since it will continue to run atidle all day long?

Have you looked at the Polaris ATV forums? They have specific issues addressed. My only other thought is a vaccum issue.

Pull the fuel pick-up line out of the tank there should be a filter at the end of it. Put it in a plastic jug with gas, suck on the line. Is there gas comming out? If not remove the filter and try again.

Let us know what you found.

It the fuel valve turned to the on position?
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.