Thread: Chessy looking for a new home

Default Chessy looking for a new home

I have a three yr. Old chessy looking for a new home. Great hunting dog. Has completed junior akc hunt title.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Male or female? Temperament around other dogs? Where are you located? Any pics?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Male. Has aggression issues. Territorial aggression. Will not be good with otger males. Ok with my female lab but will not let other dogs near you. Has never bite anyone but is a large male @ 85 lbs and can be intiminating to others.
    Great in the blind attentive good marker. One man dog
    Im in palmer

I've had a few Chesapeakes. Wonderful, smart, and very loyal dogs. Does this one have papers?
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Yes, He has a impressive pedigree. Purchased him from Blue Skies Chesapeakes in Washington state

Is he fixed? I’m guessing not, but that might solve some of those aggression problems.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

No

If I wasn't so far away I'd like to take him and work with him on that aggression. My shorthair Roy is 75-80 lbs and is overprotective of me and has had aggression towards other dogs . In his case he got chewed up pretty good by a large male black lab when he was 3 months old. The lab came into our yard and Roy was on his trolley. Had I not been close by in the garage Roy would have died. 3 months later and the same black lab did it again. I had laid in wait for that lab but figured he was gone as only seen him twice at that point and both times when he worked Roy over real good. That kind of crap will really stir up aggression in a dog. I had worked with Roy real hard getting him socialized to many other dogs and he had just about cleared all of the hurdles. He even hunted with another black lab this fall and they got along fine. Then it happened. Roy was in the house and I opened the back door and told him to kennel and he did. However because I had left the kennel door open that black lab was in his kennel eating his food and since Roy is no longer a puppy and very seasoned with the likes of racoons and coyotes that lab got his ***** handed to him. Roy had him by the throat when I pulled him off. The lab left a nasty blood trail for 3 blocks down the street and right up the drive to his owners house. That incident might have set us back quite a bit on dealing with Roy's tolerance of other male dogs....that remains to be seen. The owner heard about it in real simple terms. You want to keep that lab alive then keep him home cuz next time he won't come home.

Now I'm back to the drawing board with the aggression thing. We start tonight with a return trip to a kennel full of male dogs that Roy was getting along with fine prior to the labs return. They are darned pack animal like any canine and will defend their territory and their alpha male (ME) to the Nth degree. That pecking order/defense instinct can be curtailed but it isn't easy. Hopefully Roy getting a mouth full of labrador blood won't trigger more aggression. I'll find out soon enough. I sure do love my dog and if it means that I have to put in a 6 ft chain link fence all the way around my property and I have to hunt with him alone then that's what is going to happen. I sure hope it doesn't come to that.

I told the labs owner that I had vet bills from his dogs 1st two encounters in my backyard and witnesses to both incidents. I told him 3 strikes are all you are getting...if the lab ever comes into my yard again there will be a boom flop........................and I WILL do it. Roy does not leave our yard period and I will put a stop to that labs bringing the fight to us BS.

Is Roy fixed??
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

My 75# Golden Pyrenees got pounced by a black dog when she was a puppy. Guess who she doesn't like now. She isn't very tolerant of black dogs no matter the size. She also gets fed up with over exuberant young dogs and will put them in their place without doing any damage. Lots of noise and slobber but no blood.

I was given a dead grass female chessie years ago. She had been tied to a dog house all her young life. Never had a dog so quiet and meek. I turned her loose after a few days hoping she would stick around. She did. It took a while, but she really turned into a great watch dog. Never barked at nonsense. If she barked, I went to see what she was barking at. Got a call from my neighbor once. He said, "I really like your dig, Missy." I asked why, and he said that she kept the B.S. in the neighborhood to a minimum. She really did. You weren't going to siphon any gas with her around.
    In my youth I had a dog that was 1/2 Golden, 1/4 GSD, and 1/4 Coyote. Full grown he was 55#. I took him everywhere including my logging job. His name was Dance. He was a scrapper. Fast. Also very protective of me and the family. I miss him.

Quote Originally Posted by cblaney View Post
    I have a three yr. Old chessy looking for a new home. Great hunting dog. Has completed junior akc hunt title.

Are you giving him away for free?