Thread: P. Cod in PWS ?

Default P. Cod in PWS ?

Anybody find a few of these ? I really like eating cod and been thinking about looking for some there.

We get them on the N.end of Montague while halibut fishing. I’d like to find them closer to Whittier,as I think they taste better than halibut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have caught them all over PWS but never with regularity. Ive picked them up trolling for kings/silvers as well as jigging bait. They are pretty good eating but are usually a dissappointment as they are never the species we are chasing.

I love cod. I find them better tasting than halibut. Would love to find a reliable spot for them.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

I’ve got a cod honey hole in the Sound, but it’s in 1,200-1,400’ of water, so not exactly helpful for sport fishing.

Seward has consistent pcod at the outfalls from both fish plants. If there is a discharge right at Whittier for the same type of thing, that's where I would go.
    PolarMarine.net

Found them in numbers out at Naked south end and McPherson. I usually find them when I am jigging into deeper and deeper water. Sometimes 300 to 700' but sometimes they shallowup to 70' of water just depends on where the bait is. Only about 50% of the sound Cod I catch I keep. If they have the cloudy eyes an bumps all over under the skin they are wormy and go back in.

I had a real pleasure to sit next to a lovely Dr. in Marine Biology on my way home this week that does the counts up on the Bering Sea north of Nome. She said that the population up there exploded this year as a cold water mass that usually restricts their northern movement moved. It was very interesting talking to her about fishing all over the state. No other insights worth mentioning as she is changing jobs.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.