Thread: 13a hunt feasability

Default 13a hunt feasability

Throwing this out there. I am an AK non resident but I work in SE a lot of the year. I generally have 8-12 days off in early Sept.

I have never killed a caribou or a moose before and am researching how to go about one or the other, provided I drew.

I am trying to figure out if it would be possible to fly into Anchorage or Valdez, rent a rig and head to 13a and turn up something? I donít think my time allows for a fly in camp anywhere. I have done the SE blacktail thing plenty and would like to try another area of the state. Open to suggestions. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtmn35rem5 View Post
    Throwing this out there. I am an AK non resident but I work in SE a lot of the year. I generally have 8-12 days off in early Sept.

I have never killed a caribou or a moose before and am researching how to go about one or the other, provided I drew.

I am trying to figure out if it would be possible to fly into Anchorage or Valdez, rent a rig and head to 13a and turn up something? I donít think my time allows for a fly in camp anywhere. I have done the SE blacktail thing plenty and would like to try another area of the state. Open to suggestions. Thanks
    I would say it is definitely feasible for either Caribou or Moose. Lots of people hunt from the roads. The most successful are the ones willing to walk a bit away from the road once they get to the area. Some people are able to be successful for caribou at least on a day hunt if they happen to come across caribou when they get to the area, but a few days definitely helps. Moose tend to take a little longer, but plenty of people hunt this on a weekend schedule and seem to be successful. The caribou move around a lot, so one day you may be in the middle of hundreds, the next day or days you may see nothing. The more time you have available, the more likely you will be successful.

I think the biggest issue you might have with that hunt is the meat handling after you get something. I don't know what is necessary for transporting it on a flight since I haven't had to do that myself, but I would have those logistics figured out well ahead of time. If you plan to have someone else process it, make sure to have that lined up ahead of time so you are not trying to get ahold of someone on a Sunday morning when it is 60 degrees out and you want to keep the meat cool.

I would say its very "possible" for you to achieve your goal - "feasibility" may be a different thing, all-together. Caribou would definitely be doable for a single hunter. A moose is a horse of an entirely different color. Or I guess I should say a different weight. While a 3 mile pack out with a bou is entirely feasible, the same distance with a moose on your back, is up to your: physical ability and desire. It can be done. But be honest in your assessment of your ability to finish the job, once the shot(s) are fired.
    I'm guessing you're aware that both species in the area mentioned are subject to drawing a permit.

One of the things being overlooked here is that you state you are not a resident. For caribou in gmu 13 you do not have a shot. There was a proposal to give NRs a shot for a caribou draw tag in unit 13, but the current drawing supplement still states residents only for all of unit 13. You also can't hunt the subsistence permits, either.

Your only option for moose in 13 is to draw a permit. 13A only has 15 available. With lots of pressure in a limited access area, it would be a hard hunt in a crowd of off road vehicles. Probably do better with a large canoe with an outboard. 13B has 25 permits and gives you better road access to a larger non motorized area to walk into.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    One of the things being overlooked here is that you state you are not a resident. For caribou in gmu 13 you do not have a shot. There was a proposal to give NRs a shot for a caribou draw tag in unit 13, but the current drawing supplement still states residents only for all of unit 13. You also can't hunt the subsistence permits, either.
    Look at the supplement again. DC475 is a non-resident caribou hunt in unit 13 - 50 tags will be available.

Most rental companies will not let you drive on the Denali, haul road or Top of the World Highway.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

Tried to send you a PM but it says you have "chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages"? Try RC860 out of FB

Like anyone listens to that rental clause

Quote Originally Posted by L_Sheets View Post
    Like anyone listens to that rental clause
    "And on this page is a list of roads in Alaska that you may not drive on, sign here." I've had to sign it five times in one year.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

Thanks for all the info, realistically speaking a moose is probably more then I will want to deal with in the amount of time I have and logistically. Will probably research caribou more or maybe hunt some black bears on the Seward peninsula. Just like to see new places!

Quote Originally Posted by south coast stu View Post
    Tried to send you a PM but it says you have "chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages"? Try RC860 out of FB
    Hmmmm? I tried to fix my messaging.. not sure what the issue was but I will look into the hunt, Thanks

Hmmmm? I tried to fix my messaging.. not sure what the issue was but I will look into the hunt, Thanks
    I think you need 10 posts before the PM feature is made available. I could be wrong, hence the "think".