Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Truck

Default New Truck

With in the next year i will be getting a new truck in the 2500 variety. I currently pull my 22' raider with my f150 eco boost and it does fine but decided i want to get a 2500 model for my next truck to pull the boat easier and to allow my self to be able to pull a bigger boat if that happens to be in the cards a few years down the road. I have read many of forums/reviews and i still dont know if i should get a gasser or a diesel. I will be towing the boat a few times a year (normally leave it in homer for the summer). With the cost of diesel and gas prices which are pretty much the same i think that part of it is a wash. The only thing that has me worried or concerned about diesels are the maintenance costs which i have read are generally higher the gas trucks. I drive from eagle river to anchorage for work so i think the truck would get to the operating temps that diesels should reach to get out any moisture (not sure if its true just something i read). Just looking for first hand knowledge of running diesels up here and if its worth it to get the diesel over the gas truck. I know the diesels have more torque and all that good stuff also.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

It's not so much which truck can pull how much.. It boils down to which truck can control several thousand pounds of weight behind you. Then you need to take into consideration things like Turnagain Pass, the long down hill glide into Seward, as well as the long hill into Homer. I have an old GMC 2500hd (Duramax). It pulls our Hewescraft 240 Alaskan quite nicely up those hills, and controls the beast quite easily going downhill. When we were buying that boat in the Seattle area, my Son and I argued long (and loud) about which pickup he should use to go get it and tow it home. His GMC 1500 or my not so pretty 2500H... He took the Duramax, and when he got back to AK admitted his 1500 would never have made it.

I'm not saying the GMC 2500 Duramax is the Best. Ford makes a pretty good f250 diesel, at least you see a lot of them on the road as well as big Dodge Ram 2500's. I'm saying it's what we use and we like how it handles our boat and trailer on the road..

I'm on my second F350 diesel and I'm just about to crack 100k on the odom. My last one was at 325k before I decided to change from extended cab to crew cab. Honestly I liked the ex-cab long bed more than my current crew-cab short bed. But the family is more comfortable in the crew when we are out playing. We have a boat, travel trailer, horse trailer and snow machines. Basically, I use my truck for its intended purpose all year long and would only consider a diesel to replace it.

I am a fairly heavy truck user though and I pull with my truck a lot. I enjoy the extra torque and weight for control. I haven't really noticed any extra maintenance costs for my diesel. Actually they last a lot longer and probably are cheaper to operate over the long term vs. a gasser. The up front costs are more but they also hold their higher value longer. If you are the kind of owner that trades every 2-3 years because you want the shiny one then I'd say any old gasser 3/4 ton will do. But if you tow a bunch and you want a long lasting truck you can use hard for 15 plus years then got for the diesel.

I have had 4 -F350's that were deisel and 1- 6.2 gas. I did not even keep that 6.2 eight months and sold it. It was under powered and mileage was horrendous. I'll never buy a gas truck again. I tried passing one day with the camper on and i should of started the pass the day before too complete it.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

I’ve had Chevy, Ford, and currently a Dodge. All diesel. If you buy a new one, get the extended warranty. Each of the ones I’ve owned have gotten expensive.

If I just had a 22’ boat to tow I’d try out a Toyota Tundra.

I've got a 2008 F-250 Crew Cab, 6.4 Powerstroke. It's a beast. I've done a bit of tuning on it, dynos about 550hp and 1100 lb/ft of torque. And now gets 20+ mpg on the highway when not towing. Best I've got is 24mpg when running 55 mph for long distance although that's not as fun.

Pulls anything nicely.

If your daily drive is long enough to get up to temp and you have the extra $10k-ish to put into a diesel I personally would go with diesel. That being said, my daily drive is 4 miles to work. I would have nothing but problems with the new emissions crap on diesels. I went with a 2016 F250 with the 6.2 gasser. It has plenty of power to pull my 12k lb. boat up any grade. I do wish I got better fuel economy though for sure. I knew that was a trade off when I bought it.

I have 2 tow rigs. One is my work truck. Its a 2015 F-250 it is on its 2nd 6.2 litter 147,000 miles. It tows pretty good but the fuel economy is pretty bad when towing my 27' jet boat or camp trailer. I want to say 9mpg at best. My other tow rig/grocery getter is a 2019 Duramax that my wife drives. Its smooth, great ride and gets good fuel mileage when towing.

I have a 2016 Ram 2500 with 6.7 Cummins diesel. It pulls my 29 foot Bayweld with no issues ~ boat weighs somewhere around 13,000 lbs. I'll get somewhere around 7-9 MPG when towing that beast. Town MPG with no trailer is around 12mpg and if I'm on the highway I can get up to 24mpg if I keep it under 60mph.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I got a 2500 Duramax and brother has a F350 diesel. Ford pulls it way better. This is a 30' boat tho. Both suck fuel just like any truck pulling weight. Never been in a gas truck that can actually pull something without fighting every little hill you try pull over. Hey maybe order ya a tesla cyber truck and give us the reviews on that!!
    "Nothing worse than a GROUSE!!!"

thanks for all the responses. I think its going to come down to what i can find at the time. Dont think i will be able to find the dough for a new diesel but if its between a 4 year old diesel or a brand new or 2 year old gasser i would probably go with the diesel. i would have to have akdot install some charging stations on the way to homer if i got that goofy tesla. If a knew i was going to just be pulling my 22 foot raider i wouldnt get a diesel but i would like to keep my options open in the future. To be honest the first reason we talked about getting a bigger truck is because the next car seat i will have to get for our baby wont fit well in the back of an extended cab f150!
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    thanks for all the responses. I think its going to come down to what i can find at the time. Dont think i will be able to find the dough for a new diesel but if its between a 4 year old diesel or a brand new or 2 year old gasser i would probably go with the diesel. i would have to have akdot install some charging stations on the way to homer if i got that goofy tesla. If a knew i was going to just be pulling my 22 foot raider i wouldnt get a diesel but i would like to keep my options open in the future. To be honest the first reason we talked about getting a bigger truck is because the next car seat i will have to get for our baby wont fit well in the back of an extended cab f150!
    I will be putting my 2015 Crew cab Denali single rear wheel 3500 with topper on the market in the next week or so. Car seats fit great in the back seat.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I will be putting my 2015 Crew cab Denali single rear wheel 3500 with topper on the market in the next week or so. Car seats fit great in the back seat.
    You finally getting a real truck like me spoiled one?

Quote Originally Posted by GolfNut View Post
    Funny man!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Here's another option to consider. When looking for a 3/4 ton PU to pull my 26 Osprey, I found a 3/4 ton 4x4 Suburban on a dealer's lot and thought that might be the ticket. It's been great, keeps crew and gear dry and secure. I kept my old F150 beater since a PU does things the Suburban wouldn't do but since have let it go since I have a small utility trailer for dump runs, etc. When I bought my current boat (a ton heavier than the Osprey) back in New Jersey, I bought a 2 year old F350 crew cab 4x4 decked out Lariat diesel with only 15,000 miles on it to pull my boat back up here. That truck was amazing. I didn't tow over 60 but didn't go under 60 going over the mountains either. I averaged 10.5 mpg, whereas my gasser Suburban did 7.5 going to Whittier. Now I had two tow rigs and needed to sell one. I sold the F350. Why? While the Suburban wasn't the beast towing my boat, the crew and gear security won out. It towed my boat at 50 going up Turnagain pass going to Seward but only had to do that once. My place in Seward is a mile to the launch so easy peazy and no regrets years later keeping the Suburban. I'll say though the F350 gave me confidence to tow my boat anywhere and if I were towing long distance every weekend, I probably would have kept it instead.

My Ford 6.2 got at best 14mpg. Camper or boat it got 10 at best. My F-350 did 14mpg with the camper on a 10k trip to NY and back. Empty I can get 22. What I really like is the 49 gallon fuel tank. The 6.2 only had a 24. I think they installed the wrong tank at the assembly line.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

Quote Originally Posted by GolfNut View Post
    No he's getting one like mine!

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    No he's getting one like mine!
    Oh, I thought he was smarter than that!

F350 6.2 gas for us. Does fine towing heavy (12,000 lb) boat to Whittier. Crew cab/long bed a nice combo for a tow rig. It is perfect for us, but it spends most of the time not being driven (total PITA for a town car and way to much $ for gas). It is pretty much zero maintenance and starts every time, winter or summer without a fuss. Opted to not buy diesel as it seemed likely to have more problems (and more expenses) as a driveway queen than the gas would.

F-350 Super Duty 6.2 gas is what I have. This one is a crew cab with short box. I really like this truck and it's very dependable. Gas milage, I like not so much. I pull a 26' travel trailer and a 14' utility trailer with my side by side. Doesn't seem to matter if I'm pulling one of the trailers or running without, gas milage runs between 12.1 and 12.3 mpg. I really couldn't justify the additional 10K for a diesel and increased cost for maintenance.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast