Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Truck

Dodge diesel chipped and deleted. Amazing pulling power, awesome mpg, sounds great too.
    Had gassers in past, never again. Had a Ford diesel before this one, good truck. Nothing compares to the current one though.
    Hands down, tough to beat it.
    Bk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

So I just gotta ask.... I don't believe I will ever buy a brand new rig again. For a long time it was a good idea to buy used, 2 year old, say with around 20k on it. Is that still something to think about with the trucks out there these days?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Used, absolutely! Buying new, nothing really wrong with it, just a whole lot of wasted money. If you can afford to burn $10-20K in depreciation then by all means burn away. But you can get an excellent 2-3yo truck and save enough to buy a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    So I just gotta ask.... I don't believe I will ever buy a brand new rig again. For a long time it was a good idea to buy used, 2 year old, say with around 20k on it. Is that still something to think about with the trucks out there these days?
    That’s what I used to think.l but up here diesel trucks are ridiculous. If you buy new in the lower 48 and drive it up, you’ll really save. I saved $14K on my 2018 Ram diesel. Search around the west and you’ll save big.

As far as maintenance, I do some of my oil changes. I record the mileage and keep the receipts. Yes 16-18 quarts is a lot but I buy mine on JBER for the best price. The only other maintenance has always been under warranty.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Dodge diesel chipped and deleted. Amazing pulling power, awesome mpg, sounds great too.
    Had gassers in past, never again. Had a Ford diesel before this one, good truck. Nothing compares to the current one though.
    Hands down, tough to beat it.
    Bk

I'm assuming "deleted" is reference to turning off the DEF? What does chipped mean?
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

i dont know a good way to explain it other then it allows the truck to produce more power/better mpg by messing with the electronics of the engine. From what i know once you chip the truck it voids all the warranties so people wait until their warranty is up before they do it.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Just for the fun of it, go test drive a Ram 2500 with the 6.7 diesel. You will be amazed at the power the diesel has and they are the best in fuel mileage, I get over 20 mpg empty and around 15 mpg towing a 26 foot camper. Drive through the mountains at 65-70 no problem. The 2020 Rams have about 400 hp and 1000 ft pounds torque.

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    i dont know a good way to explain it other then it allows the truck to produce more power/better mpg by messing with the electronics of the engine. From what i know once you chip the truck it voids all the warranties so people wait until their warranty is up before they do it.
    Years ago there was actually a computer chip, program and small black box added to the on-board engine control module. (ECM). Nowadays it is mostly a re-flash and new program overwrite on the ECM no box is needed. Essentially its a new computer program that overwrites the factory limits and allows for adjustment of several different parameters. You can change the performance to increase HP/Torque or maximize fuel efficiency. Typically a chip will mess with the on board emissions control system and usually requires modification of the emissions system and sometimes deleting and bypassing parts.

The Engine is tested and certified as it was installed and delivered. Modification or deletion of the ECM and emission controls voids all factory warranties. For this reason alone you should proceed with extreme caution. Some diesel truck warranties are 7 years on the engine. If you are outside the factory coverage then obviously anything goes. However, the factories and dealerships are looking for chipped and modified trucks all the time when power train issues pop up. Be careful. Some people will say that it can be put back to factory if there is a problem, again be careful with that. Technically that is warranty fraud and a dealership can loose their franchise over it. Best case for them they will get a charge back and penalty if they are audited and caught. So for that reason most dealerships are on the look-out for it.

I'm not saying chipping is a bad thing, in many cases it really does do what people claim for performance and MPG. Just be careful and know that you are assuming ALL the risk if there is a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    I'm assuming "deleted" is reference to turning off the DEF? What does chipped mean?

Some folks are deleting DEF on newer rides that have them; however, when thrown around loosely like this, usually someone is referring to deleting the DPF in the exhaust system and, more often than not, the EGR.

I had an 08 F-250 that I did this to so it’d be opened up a bit more and not quite as restricted as it was from the factory. I put an H&S MiniMaxx controller on it and had it set up with parameters for deleting the DPF and EGR and not only was the truck a rocket, it’d pull anything, got about 75% better fuel economy, and seemed to run a lot better.

That said, my new pickup is still under warranty so I won’t be doing anything to it until that has expired. I can’t wait for that time to come so I can see what 445 horsepower from the factory can do chipped and deleted.

I’ve heard people say they can get them back to the factory settings but I wouldn’t try it until the warranty is done. I do know, however, that emissions can be passed with a good tuner, even if the truck is deleted. Doesn’t really matter up here, but when I lived outside, I could change my settings to pass emissions and then change them back to “pull the house off its foundation mode” in about five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    Some folks are deleting DEF on newer rides that have them; however, when thrown around loosely like this, usually someone is referring to deleting the DPF in the exhaust system and, more often than not, the EGR.

I had an 08 F-250 that I did this to so it’d be opened up a bit more and not quite as restricted as it was from the factory. I put an H&S MiniMaxx controller on it and had it set up with parameters for deleting the DPF and EGR and not only was the truck a rocket, it’d pull anything, got about 75% better fuel economy, and seemed to run a lot better.

That said, my new pickup is still under warranty so I won’t be doing anything to it until that has expired. I can’t wait for that time to come so I can see what 445 horsepower from the factory can do chipped and deleted.

I’ve heard people say they can get them back to the factory settings but I wouldn’t try it until the warranty is done. I do know, however, that emissions can be passed with a good tuner, even if the truck is deleted. Doesn’t really matter up here, but when I lived outside, I could change my settings to pass emissions and then change them back to “pull the house off its foundation mode” in about five minutes.

Don't forget your flat billed monster energy hat and white Oakley's..

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Don't forget your flat billed monster energy hat and white Oakley's..

I only wear flat billed hats if they’re big enough to tuck my ears under.

When i saw the thread title, I knew what to expect in the responses. Clearly everyone with diesels loves their diesels. I have a dissenting opinion from the rest of the group. I am sure the diesel option is fine, but not necessary for occasional towing. By boat is around 14K lbs on the trailer, and I haul it maybe 5 times a year, but get a 6 month pass so I can trailer it when I like. I usually make a trip or two to Seward, and it stays in Whittier most of the summer with trips back to Anchorage for cleaning and maintenance.

The truck used to haul it is a 2015 GMC 2500HD with a 6.0l gas motor. I am currently at 100K with no issues. My last truck I sold at 100K, and my brother in law kept it until something like 230K miles with no issues, so I am planning on keeping my current truck longer. Average long term fuel mileage is 12.4mpg for all of the driving I do. I can pull the boat at 65mph no problem on normal roads, but slow down going up the passes. When trailering I get maybe 5-6mpg.

I agree if you can get a good deal on a diesel, then that is a good option. The resale on these is good, which is good for you later and bad for you now. I just like the turn the key and go of gas. No DEF to deal with, and easy starting in really cold weather. Interesting that so many want gas boats and diesel trucks. I like the opposite. Diesel really shines with heavy loads.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Most q’s have been answered already. Also, 5” exhaust upgrade, free flowing.

Next time I see you Tlingkit, lets go for a ride!

My .02c.
    Bk

BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

I finally took the DPF off mine and it runs way better and that is all I did to mine. MPG is around 20 on the Highway. Only thing I am not a fan of is the sound of them after even with a muffler put on with the new exhaust. Could imagine how annoying it would of been without it. Every diesel needs to be deleted, how is that crap making them more green when they have to burn more fuel??

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post

"Nothing worse than a GROUSE!!!"

I probably get flamed for this but what the heck. Gas or diesel I have had both, I have the truck to do a job, pull my toys around. I didn't buy the thing because it is fuel efficient. I figure if you are going to buy it to tow that Is the price you pay and move on. With the cost of trucks today 60K and up I have a get around town daily driver that pretty much makes gas.
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

Does anyone have any experience with Dodge's 6.4 liter gas for towing??

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with Dodge's 6.4 liter gas for towing??
    I had a 15 RAM 2500 with the 6.4 and I just drug 20' jetboats around, not huge 38' campers or 30' Kingfishers like some folks here.. So the power was pretty good overall.
    But the mileage was not "as advertised". I had the 5.7 Hemi RAM 1/2 ton before that and when hooked to the same 20' boat, the 6.4 mileage was very comparable to the 5.7. Look at what everyone's saying about what the Cummins gets in the same 3/4T-1T truck while towing, then subtract anywhere from 3-5 mpg for the 6.4.

Quote Originally Posted by FishKing View Post
    Just for the fun of it, go test drive a Ram 2500 with the 6.7 diesel. You will be amazed at the power the diesel has and they are the best in fuel mileage, I get over 20 mpg empty and around 15 mpg towing a 26 foot camper. Drive through the mountains at 65-70 no problem. The 2020 Rams have about 400 hp and 1000 ft pounds torque.
    I have a 2019 Ram 3500 CC LB HO with the 400 hp and 1000 ft lbs.. it gets a best of 10 mpg towing 10K and has never gotten over 16.5 mpg on a tank of only highway driving at 65mph. After 4500 miles (2000 miles towing) my fuel average is 12.4 mpg. This is actually worse than my '06 LBZ Duramax. No deletes or programming available for the 2019s yet. No sense dumping 3K into all the delete stuff anyway if you are only going to get a couple more mpg out of it over the lifetime of the truck. My neighbor has a 3500 with a 6.4 hemi that gets 8mpg towing the same size trailer as mine. I sure hope the Cummins gets better as it ages as some do.

I bought this truck because I needed one for my business (notice nearly 50% of my driving is towing), but I didn't expect this poor of mileage. At the premium in initial price, I will have to drive this truck 200K miles to pay for the diesel as long as nothing breaks. My Duramax cost me $6000 in repairs over 200K miles.

If I was only towing a 24' or less boat or enclosed snowmobile trailer 15 weekends out of the year, I'd never buy a diesel again... this coming from a guy that owns a pile of them.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    Diesel really shines with heavy loads.
    Thats why we love our diesel trucks, paired up with a heavy duty tranny like a 10 speed allison and exhaust brakes makes it easier to handle and slow down that heavy load than a gasser also.
    The def thing is annoying but still never go back to a gas truck.
    Redleader standing by

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast