Thread: Buffalo Bore in a .444

Supporting Member

Default Buffalo Bore in a .444

My son used some Buffalo Bore ammo in his Marlin 444. It's an older 24" barrel model with the Monte Carlo stock. Well now he has to nearly beat the lever open to get fired brass from the gun. I'm thinking that load was too much for the gun. I won't shoot stuff like that in my guns. I load my own ammo and don't over do it. I will work up some 'manly' loads for the Redhawks but for everything else I don't go over what my loading manuals suggest. Anyone else had issues with BB in lever guns?
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

I don't shoot BB ammo in anything. I believe every gun is slightly different and will have different pressure numbers with identical loads. Loading to max levels for one gun and expecting them to be safe in all guns of that caliber will cause problems in some of them. It sounds like his gun now has a chamber that has expanded. Probably cases will mic quit a bit larger than cases fired before the BB rounds. An over pressure round can expand the chamber more at the front of the case than the back because the case is much stronger at the rear making it really hard to remove a fired case. Have it inspected by a good gunsmith as it could have caused other issues as well.

Hind sight is 20/20 and yeah "factory ammo" should be safe but if you need more power get a bigger gun. Trying to make a 444 into a 458 Win is not a good idea. Loading to the max has little real world affect on ballistics or terminal performance. Working on accuracy usually will get better results than adding a bit more powder but that's not something a lot of youngsters want to hear. Maybe the folks at BB will work with you on this. The good thing is the gun did not come apart causing real problems. Best of luck. Buck

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I don't shoot BB ammo in anything. I believe every gun is slightly different and will have different pressure numbers with identical loads. Loading to max levels for one gun and expecting them to be safe in all guns of that caliber will cause problems in some of them. It sounds like his gun now has a chamber that has expanded. Probably cases will mic quit a bit larger than cases fired before the BB rounds. An over pressure round can expand the chamber more at the front of the case than the back because the case is much stronger at the rear making it really hard to remove a fired case. Have it inspected by a good gunsmith as it could have caused other issues as well.

Hind sight is 20/20 and yeah "factory ammo" should be safe but if you need more power get a bigger gun. Trying to make a 444 into a 458 Win is not a good idea. Loading to the max has little real world affect on ballistics or terminal performance. Working on accuracy usually will get better results than adding a bit more powder but that's not something a lot of youngsters want to hear. Maybe the folks at BB will work with you on this. The good thing is the gun did not come apart causing real problems. Best of luck. Buck
    Yeah, I'm just glad the bolt didn't go through his head. When he mentioned extraction problems I told him to not use the BB anymore. He still did for a while and the problems got worse. He is going to bring the rifle and brass over this week and I will inspect it myself and use the calipers on the brass to see if I can find anything obvious. Next it will go to a gunsmith. Depending on what we learn then I suppose we'll likely be contacting BB. I doubt they will be any help though.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

I personally like Buffalo Bore for .44 and 45-70 since I can't get Garrett here. I think you should contact them based on what is stated on their site regarding the .444 Marlin Heavy Ammo. Glad he was not hurt and I hope that the gun checks out ok. From the BB site:
    This heavy 444 Marlin ammunition is recommended for use in any
    firearm chambered for 444 Marlin that is in normal working condition.

I had the same thing happen with their heavy 30-30 load in a Winchester 94 but only with the first round.
    After that it has been fine. Gun smith told me the 94 is very strong so maybe it was just a dirty chamber?
    Helped to cock the hammer and then work the lever.
    Bill