Thread: I want to go to the "Into the Wild" Bus

Default I want to go to the "Into the Wild" Bus

Does anyone have directions of how to get to the bus from into the wild? I am in Healy all the time and I'd really like to go. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Are you up to a river crossing? You can do a simple search online for the coordinates and bring it up on google earth.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

pick a nice hot interior day. Drive out the stampede road about 8 miles. From there jump on your bike and ride out. Lots of stream crossings en route.

these are the approximate coordinates:
    63°52'24.35"N 149°47'33.33"W

I am going to try this week.

Did you go??? I want to go this spring with my 17 year old son.
    Is it better to go begining of April (spring break) cold or end of May (schools out) warmer.
    would crossing the river be a problem end of may? When do the Bears come out of hibernation?

Want a nice hike and camping no drowning getting eaten by Bears etc...lol/

FYI, there are a lot of nicer hikes than this one. But...if this is some sort of a pilgrimmage for you, more power to you.

Default teklanikla crossing

I'm not sure if I spelled that right this river can be quite large at times, late fall when its low or winter when frozen is the best time to cross. In spring or summer it is very unpredictable what the level will be. The river drains out of denali park it can be dry for days in Healy and rain in the park raising the dramaticly very quickly. We've crossed down river several miles from stampede road and its chest deep in easy crossings.

Anyone every floated the Teklanikla?

Actually if I go in May I will probably do another hike..(suggestions welcome) and Danali park and the whole tourist thing.
    But as a matter of fact Chris Mccandless was my next door neighbor and I knew the family well for several years, read the book saw the movie and hey I'm 44 now and don't have a lot of adventuring ahead of me!

But back to the basics, Is late May too late and what is the deal with bears at that time.

Thanks.

Default spring comes later there

May is not to late to visit in fact weather should be getting good. Anytime that it is comfortable for us the bears will be up and active. You'll need to be careful with your food and bring pepper spray as firearms are illegal in the national park.

Stampede trail is in the park? I thought it was just outside.

Stampede IS outside the Park. Hence the reason the idjit's body was found by Moose hunters.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Stampede trail starts outside the park, enters the park for about a quarter mile, exits again, crosses the Teklanika, passes by the bus then enters the park again for the rest of its length.

Toggle the "map" and "satellite" views to see the location in comparison to the park boundary. Zoom in on my place mark in the satellite view and you can *barely* see the little bus just under the placemark.

http://maps.google.com/maps/mm?q=hea...5dda9ad61ef8ce

Water is highest in late May and June. Not the time to go, though you can get across if you don't mind swimming fast-moving current a little.

Default Opps

Quote Originally Posted by JeffJ View Post
    Actually if I go in May I will probably do another hike..(suggestions welcome) and Danali park and the whole tourist thing.
    But as a matter of fact Chris Mccandless was my next door neighbor and I knew the family well for several years, read the book saw the movie and hey I'm 44 now and don't have a lot of adventuring ahead of me!

But back to the basics, Is late May too late and what is the deal with bears at that time.

Thanks.
    I thought you were going to change your plans and go to denali park which is right next to stampede trail did not want you have any problems which is why I suggested pepper spray for bears. sorry for the confusion.

I wasn't clear enough..I meant in May I could go for multiple hikes and I would have more than 10 days. Second week of April is my sons spring break.
    I don't think I like the idea of hiking with bears in a park where I can't carry a gun as a last defense..I don't hunt and would hate to kill a bear,but if it's them or us..it's going to be them.

Is summer better than spring, or is it too touristy then? Looking for insiders opinions on a good time to fly up there.

What other good hikes are in the Fairbanks area?

Any info appreciated.

Do a search for the Fairbanks Area Hiking Club. They have a lot of the local hikes listed. Angel Rocks and Granite Tors are really popular hikes.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

Does anyone know approximately how many miles from the road the bus is?
    If some of our teenage thrill seekers really want to go out and get a thrill.
    Let them go up into the north west and let them tangle with a Grizzly bear
    or Polar bear or brown bear and get that effect that will cleanse the soul -----Fred Bear

Here's a video I made about hiking to the bus. I posted it on a similar thread but people reading this one might be interested too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRc8HQ-_aPo

After reading around online and seeing just how many people are interested in finding out more about hiking to the bus, I put this site together as a resource for those people:

http://www.pathfinderalaska.com/stampedetrail/