Thread: Tongue and groove wall boards

Default Tongue and groove wall boards

I have a cabin build I’m building about 25 mile boat ride out of Seward, where is everybody finding tongue and groove material? Lowes has the do it yourself packs but that’s just not cost effective. I live in the Valley so anywhere between here in there would work… Many thanks in advance for any help!
    <)))><
    Live to fish, fish to live...

Are you looking for cedar or pine ? I have cotton wood in my house milled here in the valley.

Honestly I’ve never seen cottonwood milled for anything... details?
    <)))><
    Live to fish, fish to live...

Poppert Milling has been producing T & G Cotton wood panling for 40 plus years . First it was the grandfather and now his grand son Randy has the mill they are close to pitman . If you are interested in seeing it on the wall just PM me as I live in Palmer also.

There is a guy in Seward that mills cedar. I do not know if he does tongue and groove though.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

The "Pacific Pine" brand from SBS is what I prefer, usually much much nicer than what Home Depot or other stores carry....locally milled can be a toss up, must be kiln-dried for interior use.....
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrown767 View Post
    I have a cabin build I’m building about 25 mile boat ride out of Seward, where is everybody finding tongue and groove material? Lowes has the do it yourself packs but that’s just not cost effective. I live in the Valley so anywhere between here in there would work… Many thanks in advance for any help!
    Have you checked Home Depot? They have Gorman 1x6 at a ridiculously low price for 1x6 TNG. I haven't seen it first hand, but my customers pointed out they were selling it at half the price SBS and I were selling 1x6 TNG for. Gorman is a good product, but they also have many different grades, so that might be the case of Depot selling #3 vs. the premium #2 I sell.

**added on edit** Depot's 1x6 is rough on one side. Mine is planed smooth on both sides and with a different pattern on each side.

Poppert Milling's cottonwood TNG is absolutely gorgeous.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Have you checked Home Depot? They have Gorman 1x6 at a ridiculously low price for 1x6 TNG. I haven't seen it first hand, but my customers pointed out they were selling it at half the price SBS and I were selling 1x6 TNG for. Gorman is a good product, but they also have many different grades, so that might be the case of Depot selling #3 vs. the premium #2 I sell.

**added on edit** Depot's 1x6 is rough on one side. Mine is planed smooth on both sides and with a different pattern on each side.

Poppert Milling's cottonwood TNG is absolutely gorgeous.
    I used many Home Depot bunks of the 1x6 T&G. I went to pro desk and used their bid room for cheaper than shelf price by a little. No problems. It’s lots of effort to install! I had 10’+ side walls and didn’t want a seam so went T&G. Make sure to cut off each end to get a clean but up against the next board. No issues with shrinking. 12’ was hard to install. Ended up cutting them smaller for ease of installation. The walls and ceilings are same. Clear Satin poly on ceilings and one coat of high quality satin latex on wall all coating done before installation. Wall board has color but wood texture. No issues with tannin bleeding. Am pleased with product, installation and result. Would use same wood again. Here are a few pics. Still a work in progress.

I butt ended the sides and did 30 degrees where a end meet an end. That way if you get shrinkage though don't get a gap.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I butt ended the sides and did 30 degrees where a end meet an end. That way if you get shrinkage though don't get a gap.
    That's the way we always installed T&G as well....until the last time we installed some ash T&G on a ceiling. We ended up butting the ends but this time instead of really trying to hide the seams we put a small round over/chamfer the top edges of both boards. So instead of trying to hide the seams we actually highlighted them. I was skeptical but it turned out beautiful. It helps break up that big solid wall of wood look into nice random patterns. The ash was bone dry at the time of installation so no problems with shrinkage opening up the seams.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I guess there's another reason mine is more expensive, my ends are TNG as well. No back beveling needed, just butt them together. Ours also has smaller knots. However, the end product of looks pretty good in those pics. Nice work.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

The house my parents built when I was a kid, 4500 sq ft, was all T&G random width cedar put up vertically downstairs, and Knotty Pine upstairs.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Supporting Member

Popperts have a large kiln. Since he custom makes it to order, whether v grove or no both sides planned. Or to match other profiles. When I talked to David about it he said some folks by 3/4” for lids especially if 24” oc. But has cut as thin as 3/8” if using it on the walls 16” oc. And interior walls with no insulation pushing out. As a way to cut costs. With a little planning and a couple extra studs you could more than make up the difference.
    A thumbs up to prefinish the back. And chamfer the butts. I believe that it should be stored for at least two weeks with the heat on. And open up the boxes. wherever it is going to be used so the moisture level in the wood can equalize with the room. Reducing butt cracks.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrown767 View Post
    I'd buy a router table with T&G bits for the router. You can then make T&G out of whatever you want. It's time consuming but worth it in my opinion.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk