Thread: Redhawk .454 accuracy

Default Redhawk .454 accuracy

hi i have been looking at the redhawk in .454 with the 2 inch barrel. i was curious if it is going to have any sort of accuracy with it or if its just going to launch them out. my buddies .500 with the 3 inch barrell shoots like 4 inch groups at 10 yards and i was wondering if it will be much worse with that since the barrel is so short. thanks vance

As for accuracy the 454 SRH will be on a par with the short S&W 500, having comparable sight radius. It will however be much more difficult to shoot even that well. The 500 has a very effective brake on it and the SRH Alaskan doesn't. The 454 has few equals in the recoil department. If you have no mastery of the 44 mag, the 454 is going to be a different ride. Not saying you can't do it just saying it will take a good hand to hold that horse.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I found the Ruger 454 Casull Redhawk an impossible fit for my hands or shooting ability. I used to own a FA Casull and currently own a couple of S&W 500's and one 460 and that Redhawk was just uncontrolable for me. It really kicked the snot out of me and I sold it.
    But, to be honest if you ever needed to shoot this revolver all you need is "minute of bear" accuracy for one shot. After that first shot the rest really do not matter.
    I would suggest you find someone who has several different types of revolvers you are interested in and try each one. Different revolvers fit differently to everyone. What works for me may not work for you.
    Tennessee

I couldn't live with the short sight radius of the Ruger alaskan. At 5", it would be a useful gun, but at 2", you give up too much in shootability. You also loose quite a bit of velocity and your 454 suddenly isn't much more than a 44 mag, other then the noise and difficulty of hitting anything.

I used to have to qualify with both a 4" and a 2 1/2" 357- both the same model of gun. I'd drop about 10% of my points with the 2 1/2" compared with the 4". Had the same gun in 6" too, which I used for matches. It picked up an average of 10% more points than I could manage with the 4" duty gun, mostly at the longer range stages.

You can see the trend there. The shorter barrel was okay for close stuff, but as the range stretches, so does the margin of error.

I guess the bottom line is how close do you want that bear to be before you feel confident in firing?

yea im starting to think i should just get my smith m629 .44 with the 4 inch barrel as i can also shoot it a lot cheaper too. it will be lighter to carry but i just dont believe in pistols anyways to be much more than a noise maker unless i stuck with the 500. but again i dont want to carry that much weight. and even if they made a titanium 500 i dont think i would shoot it more than once haha. thanks you guys. vance

Default .454 recoil

I have a 7.5 inch Super Redhawk in .454, and love it. I had a bad problem with controlling it with those factory grips, so I put on a set of Hogue finger grips, and it now shoots and handles like my .44 Magnums. The recoil is stiff, but with these grips, you can easily control it. I have a brother-in-law that had a Freedom Arms .454, and it was brutal. I shot it a number of times, and it sore me off the .454 until I shot a Ruger. He finally sold it and got a Ruger like mine, and shoots it well. He has fairly small hands, opposed to my big mitts, and these grips work for both of us.

A 2" anything, be it a .454, .500 or .357, is basically worthless out past a few feet. Unless, of course, you want to set the bears coat on fire from the muzzle flash....... I guess it would stop a charge and make the bear stop, drop and roll..........
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Default 454

I just couldn't let this thread die..... I have the Alaskan in 454. I like it. I have to admit though that I bought it cause I didn't have it. I love the 45s. I mostly shoot the Alaskan with 45 colts. It is enjoyable and as reasonable accurate as any 2in I have ever shot. I like the shortness of it and carry it in a cross belly rig. It is most difinately not a hunting pistol, unless you are hunting in the den with the bear. My two cents on what was said about it coming out about equal to a 44 cause of the short barrel, well that is a six inch 44 and mine is 2 inches. Much easier to carry. I don't run hugh amounts of 454s through it, but a few now and then don't hurt too much.

Quote Originally Posted by akshrop View Post
    I just couldn't let this thread die..... I have the Alaskan in 454. I like it. I have to admit though that I bought it cause I didn't have it. I love the 45s. I mostly shoot the Alaskan with 45 colts. It is enjoyable and as reasonable accurate as any 2in I have ever shot. I like the shortness of it and carry it in a cross belly rig. It is most difinately not a hunting pistol, unless you are hunting in the den with the bear. My two cents on what was said about it coming out about equal to a 44 cause of the short barrel, well that is a six inch 44 and mine is 2 inches. Much easier to carry. I don't run hugh amounts of 454s through it, but a few now and then don't hurt too much.
    +1. I have the 454 Alaskan and love it as well. I don't consider myself a crack shot or even a good one however, I was hitting golf balls at 15 feet with some hot 45 colts last week. 454's are a different story though as the POI seems to be quite different between the 2 rounds. By the way if you haven't tried to shoot golf balls it's a blast.
    Last edited by senecanation; 08-21-2007 at 13:05. Reason: wrong units

Quote Originally Posted by Hawken54 View Post
    I have a 7.5 inch Super Redhawk in .454, and love it. I had a bad problem with controlling it with those factory grips, so I put on a set of Hogue finger grips, and it now shoots and handles like my .44 Magnums. The recoil is stiff, but with these grips, you can easily control it. I have a brother-in-law that had a Freedom Arms .454, and it was brutal. I shot it a number of times, and it sore me off the .454 until I shot a Ruger. He finally sold it and got a Ruger like mine, and shoots it well. He has fairly small hands, opposed to my big mitts, and these grips work for both of us.

A 2" anything, be it a .454, .500 or .357, is basically worthless out past a few feet. Unless, of course, you want to set the bears coat on fire from the muzzle flash....... I guess it would stop a charge and make the bear stop, drop and roll..........
    One thing that's not obvious in the Hogue grips for the SRH is that the standard monogrip is still a bit on the narrow side, nearly like the original factory (w/wood) grips. For those with large hands, this may not be the best solution. The 'Tamer' version of the monogrip, which I believe was originally developed for the Alaskan SRH (snubby) is a larger grip that fits bigger paws better and allows those with big hands to control the gun a bit better. Helped a lot for me. The folks at Hogue told me that they'd received a lot of negative feedback on the standard monogrip, that it was too small for a large magnum, e.g. people shooting large magnums are probably on the upper side of average when it comes to size. The new 'Tamer' grip was made larger as a result, and it also incorporates their blue plastic recoil absorption pad in the back and that added a little size too. Personally, I think the new larger version is comfortable and improved my shooting accuracy as well. I'm happy with it.

Brian