Thread: Fairbanks Electrician ?

Default Fairbanks Electrician ?

need some electrical work, a new 200 amp service to house, then split to 100 amp to house and 100 amp to new garage/apartment ( my new home). Only one meter, at 200 amp in to replace 100 amp service/meter in at power pole. the overhead power is 75 feet from house. house could use new panel ( has two 50 amps in it now). Garage has conduit underground from house ( 1-1/2 inch 60 feet). All we want for now is the new 200 amp service, split out, new 100amp panel in house and 100 amp panel in garage...no other wiring in garage at this time. I can install 100 amp panel and just let them run wire to it from incoming service if it helps. There is no drywall in house utility room where current breaker panel is so easy acessBeing relatively new to the area ( me one year, my son and family, whose house it is 4 years) I called subcontractors that helped with slab, dig out and rolling trusses for recomendations ( we live where no permits are required)I don't want to give names...nothing bad...1 electrician said no problem...but quote was near 10k 2nd electrician said it was beyond his license and recommended a buddy. Called buddy twice and twice he said he would be out that week to take a look, never showed, made second call week later, said he would call back and set a time for that week, third attempt and week did not return call3rd I called and said he could not do it until at least the first of the year ( figured we could make that work) and would be out to look....we set a time...no show...did not call backso any recomendations ?

sorry the above is a hard to read mess. it was not when I posted it, now its too late to fix

so last line asks......any recommendations ?

Quote Originally Posted by papabear3 View Post
    sorry the above is a hard to read mess. it was not when I posted it, now its too late to fix
    so last line asks......any recommendations ?
    I recommend u by yourself a 200 amp ‘ranch style’ meter base and install it yourself. You should easily be able to get your parts etc for under a grand. It’s really not that hard to accomplish the mission u layed out, if I understand your situation correctly. Ranch style 200 amp meter bases let u split 2 -100 amp breakers at the 200 amp panel just as u described u want done.
    The local power company is generally responsible for providing everything from THEIR power source TO your meter panel. (Within a given amount of footage from source to panel). I would recommend u work w your local power co engineer or appropriate spokesman to assist u in your mission.
    You did not state whether your power from your pole/meter comes to the home is overhead or underground.
    You might want to mount your ranch panel ON the home, or u may want to mount it on a 6” x 6” treated post at a strategic spot just away from the home that would more easily facilitate the transfer of your old wire set-up (thinking garage conduit u mentioned) to the new panel.
    I hope this gives u some ideas about your mission. I did not address your current house or garage panels but it sounded like u MAY want to change those out for some reason(?) Maybe u don’t need to do that?
    There are probably YouTube vids that can give u some guidance on this subject too. But def contact your power co. for assistance.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

thanks for your suggestions
    the power is overhead to a pole where a 100 amp meterbase and disconnect are...approx 75 feet from house.
    I have and could done wiring for a house ( more than one) but dont mess wiht the power to a panel like above. I have no problem when I can kill power to a panel, but cant to that going into a meter

Quote Originally Posted by papabear3 View Post
    thanks for your suggestions
    the power is overhead to a pole where a 100 amp meterbase and disconnect are...approx 75 feet from house.
    I have and could done wiring for a house ( more than one) but dont mess wiht the power to a panel like above. I have no problem when I can kill power to a panel, but cant to that going into a meter
    You wont need to kill your power to your current panel UNTIL you get your new 200 amp in place. When you get the new one all set up up and strategically placed to make your easiest possible switchover to your existing panels wiring, have your power company come out and disconnect your old meter panel. Your system then will be dead and you can then move (intercept?) your existing old wires to the panels in use at the house and to garage and put in your new meter base. While you are hooking those (dead) wires up, the power company folk can be running their new wire that they will have to run from their power pole to your new meter base.
    Remember to put on your best thinking hat to figure out where the EASIEST place will be for your new base to be located. You must also decide which way the new power source will come in to your new base. (Overhead or undergrd). You will have to plan and know which that will be ahead of time cuz your new meter base must be prepared for accepting either overhead or underground wires. Overhead feed may take a tall post and/or masthead.
    Again, I suggest u consult with your power company rep who SHOULD help guide u thru your mission. (Sometimes the companies help is not what it should be, so take that with a grain of salt.)
    Good luck on your mission and don’t be afraid to seek out further advice.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

Have had good luck with this gentlemen.

Two Rivers Electric

• Phone: (907) 799-3480
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74