Thread: Not many birds but still fun.

Default Not many birds but still fun.

Hunted a bit today by the Little Su. Not much flying, no geese just a few groups of Mallards passing by. Just nice to spend time with my 19yr old son.
    Attached Images Attached Images

good on both of you

Nice! Started my season late and been having some slow fun in South Central too. How late in the season will you be hunting? Just curious how long I can think about duck hunting this year.

Iím thinking itís gonna be done by end of month with the warm temps. Maybe sooner.....

Depends. Some people do hunt sea ducks in the salt. In fact I've even killed mallards well into Dec. in places along the coast.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Well, this got me all inspired to get out this afternoon. The place I picked out just a few days ago that looked good when I walked by now was pretty much iced over. Went out and broke a nice hole in the ice and put a couple decoys out. Felt pretty desperate, but I have heard it is a legitimate strategy. Didn't have any flights go by in the hour of shooting time I had left after all the shenanigans. Makes me wonder under what circumstances it is a good idea to make your own open water.

Quote Originally Posted by Segi View Post
    . Makes me wonder under what circumstances it is a good idea to make your own open water.
    I open my own water often, late season. Do plenty of calling and if at all possible, splash your feet in the water or spank it with a stick. If thereís any ducks around in hearing distance, this will be music to their ears. To them, itís a big duck party going on.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Depends. Some people do hunt sea ducks in the salt. In fact I've even killed mallards well into Dec. in places along the coast.
    Yeah, long time ago southwest of Dillingham it wasnít uncommon to get into fairly good numbers of mallards in late Nov and early Dec. Donít know how it is now. Iím not really into sea duck hunting anymore. Just chasing puddle ducks on the Susitna Flats is fine with me.
    That being said we flew out today and saw a couple of small flocks of ducks scattered between that huge conglomerate of duck shacks south of Figure 8 lake and McGuire Slough (just west of little Su). Set some decoys out and called and eventually walked around a bit but nothing was flying. Significantly less bird activity from 4 days ago. There were a couple other planes that landed on the flats nearby but didnít hear any shooting. Itís been a good season. Never did run into the HUGE late season flocks we used to see years ago. Time to clean all the mud off the plane!