Thread: Rigging these new jigs for single hooks only lakes?

Default Rigging these new jigs for single hooks only lakes?

So I got this new jig mold in and I decided to play around with it a little bit today.
    This mold is for a jigging Rapala style swimming minnow bait.
    Now as many of you know some of our trophy lake trout lakes are single hook only.
    So I'm wanting your recommendations on rigging these with a single hook.
    Do I put a single hook on the bottom where the treble hooks are or just use the single hook on the back of the jig?
    If I eliminate the back hook I'm thinking I could just stick a wire in there to help hold up the tail fin.
    The pictures are of unfinished jigs that were made for lakes where they are allowed with the treble hook.
    Cast in lead these came out at 1.1 oz and cast in tin they came out at .8 oz.
    I will be doing some of these in regular powder paint and some of them will have a 3D holographic foil coating with airbrush accents.
    And no these are not for sale as I no longer sell fishing lures!
    Appreciate your recommendations on the hooks thanks!

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I would say a single siwash on a swivel under and nip the rear one off after the fin or flush.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    I would say a single siwash on a swivel under and nip the rear one off after the fin or flush.
    That's what I have decided to do.
    I appreciate the input.
    Here's a couple of practice jigs completed that I'm sending to some relatives for walleye fishing in the lower 48
    I used a new holographic foil on them. But I'm not impressed with it. I had to put a layer of american-made holographic foil underneath and the Chinese holographic foil over the top to get it to look right.
    If only I could get the american-made foil in the same patterns of the Chinese foil without having to buy a ton of it.
    I guess you get what you pay for now days a's the Chinese foil was really cheap and I could buy just one roll of whatever patterns I like.
    Also played around with my airbrush some but I'm not that good with it yet.
    Got some other new molds up my sleeve for these Lakers as well. Can't wait to try them out.

Jigs look good Chris.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Those jigs look really good, since you dont sell them you should “donate” a couple to me so I can test them on Big Lake for you. I would like a size 2 siwash please- JK
    “Thank you Polaris for making me a better mechanic”

Quote Originally Posted by EMoss#83 View Post
    Those jigs look really good, since you dont sell them you should “donate” a couple to me so I can test them on Big Lake for you. I would like a size 2 siwash please- JK
    I'll get right on that!lol
    These are a bit time consuming so I'm not really looking to make/give any extra away.
    Other than to friends and family that is.
    Got some other cool new stuff to play with this year as well.
    I figured maybe I'll have good luck giving them something they've never seen before.

You could replace the treble with an in-line single hook. These are designed as a to be a replacement for treble hooks and will ride true (unlike a normal single hook) under the belly of the jig where the treble is attached. This would make it legal to use in waters that are restricted to single hooks, but still not legal for waters restricted to just 1 single hook. Check our the hooks made by VMC. Model #7237.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    That's what I have decided to do.
    I appreciate the input.
    Here's a couple of practice jigs completed that I'm sending to some relatives for walleye fishing in the lower 48
    I used a new holographic foil on them. But I'm not impressed with it. I had to put a layer of american-made holographic foil underneath and the Chinese holographic foil over the top to get it to look right.
    If only I could get the american-made foil in the same patterns of the Chinese foil without having to buy a ton of it.
    I guess you get what you pay for now days a's the Chinese foil was really cheap and I could buy just one roll of whatever patterns I like.
    Also played around with my airbrush some but I'm not that good with it yet.
    Got some other new molds up my sleeve for these Lakers as well. Can't wait to try them out.

Those are nice looking. I bet they would work nice for lakers on Lake Louise if you removed the treble hooks. Single hook only allowed. I like the colors though. Blue and white/silver is one of my favorite colors to use for lakers. What's the length of them? I've seen some jigging raps for sale at Sportman's warehouse but they are always too small for lakers in my opinion. I would like to see some 6-inch jiggin raps made (or even bigger). The bigger the better imo for lakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Those are nice looking. I bet they would work nice for lakers on Lake Louise if you removed the treble hooks. Single hook only allowed. I like the colors though. Blue and white/silver is one of my favorite colors to use for lakers. What's the length of them? I've seen some jigging raps for sale at Sportman's warehouse but they are always too small for lakers in my opinion. I would like to see some 6-inch jiggin raps made (or even bigger). The bigger the better imo for lakers.
    I measure these at 3-1/8" long from nose to end of the plastic tail.
    Cast in tin they come out at .8 oz and in lead they came out at 1.1 oz.
    A 6" or larger one of these would be quite heavy if cast of pure lead. Probably too heavy for ice fishing imho.
    Maybe a resin cast lure would work in that size but I couldn't say.
    This mold was spendy as it was, who knows what he would charge for a larger one.lol
    I did cast some with no center hook for addition of a siwash hook and some with a quality 1/0 single hook.
    Here's some pics with a tape measure next to some new blade baits I'm working on.
    These blade baits are much larger than the standard blades out there.
    These are made in 3/4, 1, 1-1/4, and 1-1/2 oz in weight on a much larger than normal nickel plated blade.
    These will also have a single hook attached though they were designed with two hook attachment points on the bottom.
    As you can see I do have hook protectors on this jigging minnow as the hooks are sticky sharp and I don't want to hook my friends as they check these out.lol
    What kind of jig weight is your max on Lake Louise? Say for ice fishing and/or summer fishing?

for what we jig with the amount of weight depends on the size of the plastic we are using. We use half ounce and up to and ounce especially if we are fishing deeper. Also depends on how your going or want to present the lure. If you want to have a fast erratic fleeing bait fish a heavier jig will work better then a light one that will take longer to fall back down after you jig it. If you need to finesse the fish a little bit the lighter jig works better.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I measure these at 3-1/8" long from nose to end of the plastic tail.
    Cast in tin they come out at .8 oz and in lead they came out at 1.1 oz.
    A 6" or larger one of these would be quite heavy if cast of pure lead. Probably too heavy for ice fishing imho.
    Maybe a resin cast lure would work in that size but I couldn't say.
    This mold was spendy as it was, who knows what he would charge for a larger one.lol
    I did cast some with no center hook for addition of a siwash hook and some with a quality 1/0 single hook.
    Here's some pics with a tape measure next to some new blade baits I'm working on.
    These blade baits are much larger than the standard blades out there.
    These are made in 3/4, 1, 1-1/4, and 1-1/2 oz in weight on a much larger than normal nickel plated blade.
    These will also have a single hook attached though they were designed with two hook attachment points on the bottom.
    As you can see I do have hook protectors on this jigging minnow as the hooks are sticky sharp and I don't want to hook my friends as they check these out.lol
    What kind of jig weight is your max on Lake Louise? Say for ice fishing and/or summer fishing?
    I use 1.5 oz jig heads most of the time. I feel the bigger the better when fishing for lakers but that's just me. I'd rather weed out the little dudes and go for the big hungry lakers.