Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Draw Apps

Default 2020 Draw Apps

Whose fired up to apply for disappointment this year? Anyone super excited to do our annual donation to the SOA?

What tags are people putting in for? Whatís the strategy for application; all 6 into one permit, or shotgun your chances across several tags?

February 21st canít come soon enough

Supporting Member

I tried to apply at 8 am but the site wasn't reaqdy yet. Did it a few hours later and gave my 85 dollar donation.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

I either do all 6 on one hunt or split them 3 and 3. I kind of liked the old system in that there was more variety in the possibilities, but I also like that now I can prioritize the hunts that I really, really want. Probably won't actually apply for another week or two, but I'll be reading and re-reading the supplement all weekend.

Now that both of my kids are old enough to apply, there will be four of us putting in. Going to get expensive! All part of the fun and part of supporting wildlife management in the state.

I do all 6 for each hunt Iíd like. Letís see if I can make it 6 years in a row of drawing excellent permits! Good luck to everyone else playing.

Weíve had good luck, 3 goat draws, DCUA, 1/400 dc485, so if I donít draw for 10 more years Iíll be ok I feel blessed with the animals weíve taken. So many HT opportunities that the draw is just a bonus

I have yet to begin to procrastinate

I canít wait. Lived outside for the last six years and never thought Iíd be back. Pretty excited to be applying for resident tags again... Iíll be putting all six into hunts I really want, shotgunning across others that arenít really high on the list, and holding off on a few thatíd just get in the way of things if I actually drew them.

Iíll definitely second the OP of this thread calling the yearly drawing hunt lottery the ďannual donation to the state of AlaskaĒ. In 29 years of continuous Alaska residency and putting in for multiple species resident hunts every year without exception...random drawings my foot!!! Iíve gotten one pathetic cow moose tag back in 2005, to show for my faithful 28 years of ďdonationsĒ (always $75 or more)!!! There are way too many guys like Nick Muche posting above...going for 6 continuous years of ďexcellent permitsĒ!!! I will say Iíve never put all 6 species choices on one hunt...I guess this is that year!! Iím all for some type of bonus point system based on years of residency and number of times put in and not drawn, like done in some other states drawing hunt permits...as well as more opportunities for disabled/ handicapped hunters. Good luck to everyone in this years draw...

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Muche View Post
    I do all 6 for each hunt Iíd like. Letís see if I can make it 6 years in a row of drawing excellent permits! Good luck to everyone else playing.

Best of luck to ya man! The results should make for another great pod cast when they come out! lol...

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaGrizz View Post
    Iíll definitely second the OP of this thread calling the yearly drawing hunt lottery the ďannual donation to the state of AlaskaĒ. In 29 years of continuous Alaska residency and putting in for multiple species resident hunts every year without exception...random drawings my foot!!! Iíve gotten one pathetic cow moose tag back in 2005, to show for my faithful 28 years of ďdonationsĒ (always $75 or more)!!! There are way too many guys like Nick Muche posting above...going for 6 continuous years of ďexcellent permitsĒ!!! I will say Iíve never put all 6 species choices on one hunt...I guess this is that year!! Iím all for some type of bonus point system based on years of residency and number of times put in and not drawn, like done in some other states drawing hunt permits...as well as more opportunities for disabled/ handicapped hunters. Good luck to everyone in this years draw...
    6 is necessary, If you only buy 1, you have about 16% chance of the guys who buy 6, thatís your best bet.

Sometimes choose a tag based more on your odds than just the one you want. For instance, thereís a tag I want, 2% chance, but 10 miles away thereís one with a bit harder access at 9%. 6 chances, that gives me a very decent chance of drawing.

The guys that draw regular do a lot of research, I have my draw supplement all marked up, circled, crossed out, etc. Spend hours searching for tags that maybe I donít want really bad but I want to hunt that species so Iíll take the one that is logistically harder which gives me better odds. One is the bison tags, one is a real pain and expensive to access, well your odds jump way up compared to easy drive to delta.

I grew up in Montana and Iíll never vote for a points system. I buy points there every year. 22 years Iíve bought bighorn points. Another 22 I may have a chance. If I can hunt the breaks at 70 Iíll be good I guess.

I have yet to begin to procrastinate

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaGrizz View Post
    You need to start spending 200-300

I said in an earlier thread I just got back to Alaska after almost 3 years away so I am really excited for next year my father and I are putting in for Afognak bear , delta moose , and delta bison party hunts
    And I am putting in for the dream sheep and goat tags that I will never get.

Now I divorced and am working in Dutch Harbor and donít have a family to feed so none of my hunts are what I used to draw for I always just put in for cow tags mostly but since I only have short time at home between hitches and I am not home to consume meat I am mostly hunting for wall hangers ...I know my friends will be happy to take the meat off my hands

If I donít draw ... planning on a goat/ deer hunt on kodiak in December and if my old man and I fail to draw spring tags for Afognak we will plan on a bear hunt on the peninsula in fall 2021

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Horns make pi$* poor soup"

Quote Originally Posted by roughneck6883 View Post
    I said in an earlier thread I just got back to Alaska after almost 3 years away so I am really excited for next year my father and I are putting in for Afognak bear , delta moose , and delta bison party hunts
    And I am putting in for the dream sheep and goat tags that I will never get.

Now I divorced and am working in Dutch Harbor and donít have a family to feed so none of my hunts are what I used to draw for I always just put in for cow tags mostly but since I only have short time at home between hitches and I am not home to consume meat I am mostly hunting for wall hangers ...I know my friends will be happy to take the meat off my hands

If I donít draw ... planning on a goat/ deer hunt on kodiak in December and if my old man and I fail to draw spring tags for Afognak we will plan on a bear hunt on the peninsula in fall 2021

Having just cut up a bison, I gotta ask, are you sure you want to do that hunt on a party tag?! The thought of possibility putting more than one bison on the ground at a time seems just down right masochistic! Plus the odds of getting to hunt it at all are better separate than in a group.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnycake View Post
    Plus the odds of getting to hunt it at all are better separate than in a group.
    Yeah, it surprises me how many people put in for party permits. The only hunts that make sense as a party to me are those that are logistically difficult or expensive where I'd want a second person to split the expenses or difficulty. If I had to fly out for a hunt and my wife wasn't likely to join, I'd consider a party application. Otherwise, why cut your collective odds in half?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Yeah, it surprises me how many people put in for party permits. The only hunts that make sense as a party to me are those that are logistically difficult or expensive where I'd want a second person to split the expenses or difficulty. If I had to fly out for a hunt and my wife wasn't likely to join, I'd consider a party application. Otherwise, why cut your collective odds in half?
    Exactly. Especially for a hunt like Delta bison that is so low odds anyways, is very simple logistically, and a single success still amounts to an enormous amount of work. I've got 3 wild before Indian Valley calls me up to finish finding enough freezer space for the mountain of burger headed my way! I guess though if we had two tags I'd try to convince one of us to shoot a nice little calf.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnycake View Post
    Having just cut up a bison, I gotta ask, are you sure you want to do that hunt on a party tag?! The thought of possibility putting more than one bison on the ground at a time seems just down right masochistic! Plus the odds of getting to hunt it at all are better separate than in a group.
    My old man is a non resident so if he flies up here I am hoping we both have a tag ... I am well aware the odds are low and though I have never processed a buffalo I know a Bison is huge ....in the end we both discussed it and decided that if we are going to do this we both would like a tag ...we understand the odds would be better to draw separate but hunting when both of us have a tag is worth it for us.

"Horns make pi$* poor soup"

Supporting Member

We have handled multiple moose at once. Some with a very long pack. I'm sure it could be done with bison also.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

I'll do the same as I always do.. dump all six bison chances on the March Farewell tag.. pay the state money.. be disappointed..
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I love this time of year if February 21st is second Christmas then this is when I sit on Santa's lap and tell him what I want (I also make sure I'm a good boy and make sure I don't have any HT not reported yet).

First off I have a running total of the number of applications each tag gets, I find all the hunts I want to hunt, then of those I figure out which have the highest odds of getting drawn. I then put in 6 times for those tags.

Why 6? well the difference in say DS102 between 1 tag and 6 is 0.8% and 4.88%. Most years My odds of drawing are between 60-80%. Also since the state allowed you to apply multiple times for each tag the average applications per tag has doubled, some haven't even doubled. if you are willing to spend a little more money up front you increase your chances greatly.

The beauty of our drawing system is there are great hunts for almost every species that are HT and require no draw.

stupid question Iím sure, but a guy can have un-reported tags floating around if the season is still open right? Like GL000, or RB300, when the season goes till next spring. I wouldnít think that would matter, but sure would be lame to get flagged for something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by AKducks View Post
    I love this time of year if February 21st is second Christmas then this is when I sit on Santa's lap and tell him what I want (I also make sure I'm a good boy and make sure I don't have any HT not reported yet)

you're fine, I do leave my Black bear tags open and have drawn just make sure that your tags which the hunts are closed are taken care of (ie Registration tags)
    Last edited by AKducks; 11-04-2019 at 14:20. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast