Thread: Chitina Here I come

Default Chitina Here I come

I am heading down to Chitina on Monday. Does anyone have any updates to how the fishing has been this last week? I am taking the 4-wheelers and will give an updated trail report when I get back. The numbers of fish past the sonar have been dropping, and the water has been really high. I heard even Hem's stopped his charter because of the high water and lots of debris in the river. I am hoping the water level drops when I get there since the fish are supposed to move upstream faster when the water drops. Any actual reports would be appreciated.

Thanks,

cubecove

I am heading there as well monday with the 4wheeler... hopefully things will be worth going! If not it'll be a fun camping trip.
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

We killed it on Tuesday. We limited out in no time and had a great time. Then the work started.

We killed it on Tuesday. We limited out in no time and had a great time. Then the work started. 10 fish bonus was in effect!!!!

ahhhh... I stopped by ADF&G on the way there Monday and was told the 10 fish supplement ended Sunday night... ? I'll be pissed if I got bad info!

We didn't do quite as great Tuesday, but the holes we always fish were filled with charter folks. So we tried a few new places and did ok. Wednesday we EASILY finished off the 2 limits, including a really nice 35 pound-ish king.

I also have photos I took along the trail of the damage areas. Some really impressive slides and sluff-offs! Most amazing tho was the change at Haley Creek... OMG there is a big change. I looked at my photos from a few years ago and holy CRAP what a change. I'll post them soon if anyone cares.

I thought it was kinda funny... we saw the ADF&G enforcement guy all the way back in by Haley Creek!! So much for the road closure and risk of being there...
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

Quote Originally Posted by Swissy View Post
    ahhhh... I stopped by ADF&G on the way there Monday and was told the 10 fish supplement ended Sunday night... ? I'll be pissed if I got bad info!

We didn't do quite as great Tuesday, but the holes we always fish were filled with charter folks. So we tried a few new places and did ok. Wednesday we EASILY finished off the 2 limits, including a really nice 35 pound-ish king.

I also have photos I took along the trail of the damage areas. Some really impressive slides and sluff-offs! Most amazing tho was the change at Haley Creek... OMG there is a big change. I looked at my photos from a few years ago and holy CRAP what a change. I'll post them soon if anyone cares.

I thought it was kinda funny... we saw the ADF&G enforcement guy all the way back in by Haley Creek!! So much for the road closure and risk of being there...
    Sure! Post some before and after pix... it would be cool.

Brian

Sorry for any confusion we were there on Tuesday the 24th and the EO for that time period closed on Sunday the 29th @ 11:59am

Default Just got back

I went down on Monday with a couple other guys I work with. We had 3 limits, including 3 nice 30+ pound kings by Tuesday afternoon. The trail was pretty bad. If nothing is done with the trail by next year I will probably leave the 4 wheelers at home and take the charter. I hate to do this, but if the trail is any worse next year, I will not try to hassle getting down it.

All the sockeye were huge!!! They were all really bright, except a few that we threw back. The kings were also fairly bright. It was a very sucessful trip and we all have many full freezers for the winter. Good luck to the rest of you.

cubecove

I went yesterday with a friend. We got 2 limits fishing the afternoon. Weather was good, river was high but that didn't seem to curtail anything The dipping was steady all afternoon. We got one light meat fish.

when does Chitina close? I thought it closed august 31 but then someone told me that they called F&G and it is open till the end of september. If it is going to still be open has any one been down there in the last week?

I went for a day trip last Saturday, got there at 5 pm left at 9:30 pm with 22 reds, real nice looking ones too, good size, bright fresh ones with no seal bites, haven't caught a silver yet, may be a couple of weeks yet for them. BTW, this was above the bridge.