Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: 450 Bushmaster with cast bullets?

  1. #1

    Default 450 Bushmaster with cast bullets?

    I have one of those Ruger American 450 Bushmasters that has been ignored for the most part. Winter is coming on(2 inches of fresh snow overnight) and I aim to play with this 450. I just molded and powder coated a couple thousand .452 250 grain round nose flat point bullets. Was wondering if any of you guys loaded cast bullets in your 450s. I am not looking for a power house load. I figure 1200 ftps will do in the deer woods.

    One of my grandsons has grown 8 inches in the last year and is about to outgrow his CVA Hunter and by next deer season he may have whiskers. He will certainly be be big enough for the 450.

    The boys have each killed two big does stone cold dead with their CVA 44 Mags with a Keith style cast bullet running 1,000 fps. So a 450 Bushmaster plinker load would be perfect.

  2. #2

    Default

    Hello Grinnel Iowa! I've been running a .458 SOCOM for a while, using 300 and 350 grain cast powder coated bullets around 1500 fps with very decent accuracy. IMR4198 works well for me.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    9,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I have one of those Ruger American 450 Bushmasters that has been ignored for the most part. Winter is coming on(2 inches of fresh snow overnight) and I aim to play with this 450. I just molded and powder coated a couple thousand .452 250 grain round nose flat point bullets. Was wondering if any of you guys loaded cast bullets in your 450s. I am not looking for a power house load. I figure 1200 ftps will do in the deer woods.

    One of my grandsons has grown 8 inches in the last year and is about to outgrow his CVA Hunter and by next deer season he may have whiskers. He will certainly be be big enough for the 450.

    The boys have each killed two big does stone cold dead with their CVA 44 Mags with a Keith style cast bullet running 1,000 fps. So a 450 Bushmaster plinker load would be perfect.
    I admit to knowing next to nuthin about them ARs, but I'm curious. Would those blunt bullets feed? Would the reduced load work the action?
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  4. #4

    Default

    This one is the Ruger American Smitty. It be a bolt action. I have no hankering for one of those machinegun looking things. Ha! However should SHTF I know where there are bunches of them and one would fall into my hands. However in my inept and aging state I might be better of with a scattergun!

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    9,154

    Default

    OOPS, I Sit Corrected. I shall shortly Sleep Corrected.

    BTW, is the 458 winchester considered a Straight Wall cartridge, for purposes of legalities to hunt WT Deer in your fair state?

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    4,381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I have no hankering for one of those machinegun looking things. Ha!
    And right there lies the problem.. itís how you worded it.. simple I have no need for an AR-15 in a 450 bushmaster.. would of sufficed

  7. #7

    Default

    I think by now you have read enough of my post to know a little about my stance. It was a little jest between Smitty and I since we just don't have a hankering for them Ar15s. I will let you know that my son and three son-in-laws all have them and they all came on my nickel. The boys make fun of my Mini 14 all the time and I make fun of their machine gun looking rifles. I also tease them about having a toy box full of squirt guns that look samey same to their ARs except they are green, orange and there is even a pink one in there. It's all good 323...besides I don't even know what the He!! a machine gun is!

    We good?

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    4,381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I think by now you have read enough of my post to know a little about my stance. It was a little jest between Smitty and I since we just don't have a hankering for them Ar15s. I will let you know that my son and three son-in-laws all have them and they all came on my nickel. The boys make fun of my Mini 14 all the time and I make fun of their machine gun looking rifles. I also tease them about having a toy box full of squirt guns that look samey same to their ARs except they are green, orange and there is even a pink one in there. It's all good 323...besides I don't even know what the He!! a machine gun is!

    We good?
    i fully understand friendly banter between you and smitty, but some who have a different view ar15 will/could take this differently.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    9,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    And right there lies the problem.. itís how you worded it.. simple I have no need for an AR-15 in a 450 bushmaster.. would of sufficed
    I don't see a problem? Call them whatever you want. I call them "platforms".

    What ARs "look like" is part of their attraction. Tactical is big these days, and for good reason.

    To deny that is the "problem."

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  10. #10

    Default

    I believe that every person who can legally own an Ar15 and desires them should have one. I just like my mini 14. it's a Ford Vs Chevy deal and I drive a Dodge!

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    4,381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I don't see a problem? Call them whatever you want. I call them "platforms".

    What ARs "look like" is part of their attraction. Tactical is big these days, and for good reason.

    To deny that is the "problem."

    Smitty of the North
    you donít but some who are not for AR15 will see that comment and go see even hunter call them machine guns and have no need for them. Believe it or not boys and girls a lot folks who donít share our same views on hunting/firearms are one these hunting sites gathering information..

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    9,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I believe that every person who can legally own an Ar15 and desires them should have one. I just like my mini 14. it's a Ford Vs Chevy deal and I drive a Dodge!
    I agree, that folks can choose whatever they like, and even be touchy about them. (I dunno why some are so defensive about them.) They're intensely popular, and available. Which has greatly added to the number of gun aficionados. Nothing there, to feel threatened about.

    My dislike started wayyyy back when they first came out, and the Army had so much trouble with them. And I have other valid reasons why I can never warm up to them.

    I've never cared for the cartridge. The idea of a semi-auto Varmint Rifle, (22 CF) is beyond my comprehension.

    The Mini Thirty has some appeal, but they be terrible spendy. And I've got my 30-30s.

    I hadda lil Dodge Dakota for a time, but I foolishly gave it to my dotter. I agree with your choice of Hoopy Do, also.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Hackney Air Park Athol, ID
    Posts
    2,085

    Default

    Modularity...that's one of the great draws to the "modern sporting rifle" that can and does become dozens of different calibers and hundreds of different forms, all useful (?) and are not evil as many would try to convince us of. Guns in the modern day are just as they were when my folks came to the new world from Ireland in the 1640's...they are tools...more effective than back then but never the less just an object to be used or misused by humans.

    BTW, ya gotta have a tax stamp and lots of money to legally own a machine gun now days.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    9,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    you donít but some who are not for AR15 will see that comment and go see even hunter call them machine guns and have no need for them. Believe it or not boys and girls a lot folks who donít share our same views on hunting/firearms are one these hunting sites gathering information..
    323:
    It ain't my fault that ARs LOOK LIKE machine guns. That fact has a far greater influence on perception than what we call them. The gun grabbers don't care from FA or SA. Anything a non shooter learns about them will probably make them WANT one.

    I totally reject the premise that there is a need to be guarded about what we call ANY firearm.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  15. #15

    Default

    I like the heck out of you guys that like AR15s and I don't even care if you bring a fat chick to the range. I won't kiss the fat chick but I will shoot your AR15. OK now that I got that cleared up.

    I loaded up a whole bunch of my home cooked 250 grain wide met plat powder coated boolits with Unique. I started out with 12 grains and worked my way all of the way up to 15.5 grain. There was still zero pressure signs at 15.5 grains. However the accuracy was going away fast at that speed, In fact the best accuracy was at 14.00 grains. I had no chronograph with me today but am guessing 1300 fps and my guess is about as scientific and probably about as accurate the top dog on global warming/climate change. The best accuracy was nothing to brag about but a 2&1/4 inch group at 100 yards will kill deer every time in my woods(straight 4x scope) so that's the plan for the first Saturday in December.

    And now we know!

    I also loaded a hand full of these real hard 250 grain SNS .452 boolits with 15 grains. I found an 8 inch diameter hard maple tree in amongst the big Oaks that was stunned from living in the shade and shot it in the trunk with one of those SNS boolits and went whizzing right on through and stirred up the leaves 5 yards down in the timber. However my own soft powder coated boolits only made it about 3/4 of the way through the tree but was mushroomed out as big as a quarter. I figure that complete penetration on an 8 inch hard maple is way overkill for deer unless one could get them to line up just right so he could flock shoot them. I like how my own bullet performed much better.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    9,154

    Default

    I guess, your bullets would do it. It would be nice to know, at what velocity, a soft cast bullet would mushroom.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •