Thread: Haul Road in March/April

Default Haul Road in March/April

I am planning a Caribou hunt up the Haul Road in March/April and wanted to see if anyone has done this hunt before. If so, I would appreciate any lessons learned. From what I have gathered from fish and game reports the Porcupine herd is moving through at this time and the Central Arctic Herd is always in the vicinity, for those who have been up there in this timeframe has that been your experience? If it matters, I will be skiing in the 5+ miles for rifle, no bow cert. Thanks for any information.

My buddies did it years ago! Skiing was pretty easy but even in march/April it can get pretty darn cold up there so be prepared. The would boil water and put it in water bottles in their Sleeping bags to stay warm. They did shoot caribou

Note: its bulls only up there and there is no guarantee that a animal without antlers is a bull. You will need to be able to judge sex by looking at their rear ends or under their legs.

Good luck!

easy ski but like mentioned, march and even into april can be brutal, full on north slope winter. or it can be gorgeous bluebird ideal conditions. hard to know which til youre already there so best be prepared.

editing to add: make sure you find a good parking spot, don't just pull over on the side of the road. if you're familiar with the haul road, don't count on any of your summertime pullouts to be plowed out.

Which hunt are you referring too?

Quote Originally Posted by alaska80 View Post
    I am planning a Caribou hunt up the Haul Road in March/April and wanted to see if anyone has done this hunt before. If so, I would appreciate any lessons learned. From what I have gathered from fish and game reports the Porcupine herd is moving through at this time and the Central Arctic Herd is always in the vicinity, for those who have been up there in this timeframe has that been your experience? If it matters, I will be skiing in the 5+ miles for rifle, no bow cert. Thanks for any information.

@jonath

Not sure what you are referencing here. If you mean harvest type its general HT, if you mean area I will be focusing on 25A and 24A.

@ greenmachine and AKducks

Thanks for the sound advice, I will go prepared.

As far as seeing animals, it seems like they're either there or they're not. I also plan to be up there in april, so fingers crossed they are there. and oh yeah, the hide will be lousy with warble flies.

I'm pretty sceptical that anyone on foot or skis can get to members of the porky herd from the haul road any time of year!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Rodger that. I didn’t realize there was a general HT available. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by alaska80 View Post
    @jonath

Not sure what you are referencing here. If you mean harvest type its general HT