Thread: Anti-gel in space heater ?

Default Anti-gel in space heater ?

my son recently got an older Master space heater for while we are building. Uses kerosene or #1 heating oil as per label. 150000 btu. those torpedo looking things on wheels. when working it heats the shop fine, I think previous owner was using #2 oil or just regular diesel as when we started using #1 ( as per label) it stunk and smoked less. #1 runs 2.50 a gallon, kerosene about 9 a gallon

anyway..yesterday and today when i go out to the garage ( no insulation, unfinshed) it wont start, just buzzes and clicks off, unless I (unplug) pull the top cover and rotate the motor ( fan and pump) . Its stiff at first.. Spin it by hand till it spins easily, then plug back in and fires right up and runs fine.
    we did not have this problem when the temps were above 20.
    I cleaned the filters and any gunk I could find externally as well as the site glass for the burner

Since im new to these kind of heaters, do we need to run an anti-gel in them, or is it that the motor is gunked up and just does not like the cold. ?
    If its just a gunk up motor, guess I can figure out how to take apart and lube it

thanks

Hard to diagnose over the internet. The temps really haven't gotten even close to being cold enough to gel Kerosene or #1. If you've run the heater for any length of time it probably doesn't have any summer diesel left to gunk things up. I run #1 heating fuel through mine, I'd go broke using Kerosene.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Additives will mess those up. They have an eye that monitors the flame. The flame will appear different with additives and it will shut down.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

I run nothing but highway diesel in my Reddy heater all winter, for years and years now....never a problem. Sounds like you might have a lemon...
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Mine has given me the same issue when I had summer blend road diesel in it. Try refilling it with fuel after the stores change over to winter blend.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Take it apart and clean it.
    DENNY

thanks for the replies, guess Ill try cleaning the motor, maybe it is just gunked up and gets stiff when real cold.
    Don't think previous owner ever cleaned the filters.