Thread: Bear attack: She started snapping her mouth

Default Bear attack: She started snapping her mouth

This guy missed vitals from a few feet away I am not criticizing I know these things happen fast .... but it makes a very good argument for bear spray
    Probably a reason bears dont mess with skunks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Horns make pi$* poor soup"

I know it gets talked about a lot on here, having on in the chamber with a rifle. THIS is why if I am on my feet in beat country one is loaded. I see it as the same with folks who carry a handgun in public. If it is not loaded, may as well have a rock.

Ok,,,, well, this "Exactly" why I rack one in the Barrel, soon as I'm on the Trail, or out of the Truck, as my Granddad used to say,,,,, gone-a-would-a, should-a,,,,,, don't get-er-done,,,,, both of those guy's should have been Locked & Loaded,,,,, had they been so, I'm a firm believer things would have turned out different,,,,, ask me how I know, as I've been there and done that, 3-times in the last 50 +/- yrs.
    TG
    [ USMC 1st Marine Div. 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi ]

Quote Originally Posted by Finaddict91 View Post
    I know it gets talked about a lot on here, having on in the chamber with a rifle. THIS is why if I am on my feet in beat country one is loaded. I see it as the same with folks who carry a handgun in public. If it is not loaded, may as well have a rock.
    Exactly. I would never be able to get a round chambered in a split second- perhaps some folks could. When I know there is a possibility of encountering a brownie- or beligerante blackie for that matter- which is most of the time when bear baiting and moose hunting- I am locked, loaded, and when things are really thick, off safety as well.

If I am in a group, only the guy in front will have one in the tube. Usually. If we stumble on a fresh buried kill everyone will have one in the tube. Did that years ago when my oldest was about 11. I had his Trapper 30-30 over my shoulder and my Sako 300 in my hands. Buddy was packing some kind of bolt action. I levered one in the 30-30 and handed it to the kid and told him to stay between Rick and I. Told Rick to chamber one. We double timed it out of there. Later at camp Rick said "I was getting a little worried back there cause you were acting nervous." Nervous my ass, I was scared." I figured whatever (Brownie for sure) had slaughtered the draft horse size cow and buried it was likely watching us when we stumbled upon it. It was fresh as hell. Trees had the bark peeled off. Ground dug up. Moose covered in dirt and brush. Still practically bleeding. I'm certain the bear was watching us and likely the only reason we didn't get plowed into is because there were 3 of us, although the one was just a boy.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Ok,,,, well, this "Exactly" why I rack one in the Barrel, soon as I'm on the Trail, or out of the Truck, as my Granddad used to say,,,,, gone-a-would-a, should-a,,,,,, don't get-er-done,,,,, both of those guy's should have been Locked & Loaded,,,,, had they been so, I'm a firm believer things would have turned out different,,,,, ask me how I know, as I've been there and done that, 3-times in the last 50 +/- yrs.
    TG
    A lot of guys will choose not to hunt with you just for that mentality. While hiking through dense brush it is very easy to have a safety flipped off and trigger pulled.

iyouktug;
    Well,,,,, you know what they say, 2-each his own. >
    TG
    [ USMC 1st Marine Div. 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi ]

Quote Originally Posted by iyouktug View Post
    .....While hiking through dense brush it is very easy to have a safety flipped off and trigger pulled.
    Although it may happen once in a great while, I sure wouldn't go as far as to say it is "very easy"....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Although it may happen once in a great while, I sure wouldn't go as far as to say it is "very easy"....
    Good point. I will also add that the finger should not be on the trigger. The same applies for pistols that don't have a safety other than in the trigger (Glock, for example). I just don't see how the brush would move the Ruger 3-position safety from safe, to load/unload a round, all the way forward to "fire," unless a grab the rifle by the barrel and shove the stock into the brush.

I would not like somebody immediately behind me to have a round in the chamber, however.

Guided brown bear hunts on kodiak, ak. peninsula and s.e ak. seasonally for 40 years. Some days observed in excess of 40 different bears in one day. Onone occasion I could see 20 bears at one time in my field of view. I have had numerous tent camps, cabins and meathouses damaged by bears. More than once I have had bears damage my tent in the night while sleeping in it. I would NEVER EVER allow a client or hunting companion to carry one in the chamber. The only exception ever was on an occasion or two when the lead man chambered a round while tracking a wouned brownie in the alders.

Quote Originally Posted by roughneck6883 View Post
    This guy missed vitals from a few feet away I am not criticizing I know these things happen fast .... but it makes a very good argument for bear spray
    Bear spray only works against bears that are downwind. Guns work in all directions. For a non-firearm deterrent, I think I'd stick with an air horn instead.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by RayfromAK View Post
    Good point. I will also add that the finger should not be on the trigger. The same applies for pistols that don't have a safety other than in the trigger (Glock, for example). I just don't see how the brush would move the Ruger 3-position safety from safe, to load/unload a round, all the way forward to "fire," unless a grab the rifle by the barrel and shove the stock into the brush.

I would not like somebody immediately behind me to have a round in the chamber, however.
    We've debated this a lot in my camp. I get so nervous about having a round in the chamber and thankfully, we've never had a life or death situation like that with only seconds to chamber one. The ultimate compromise is a lever action with the 3-position hammer set in the middle. Cant pull the trigger, cant push the hammer forward into the firing pin, cant pull the hammer partway and drop it on the pin. It really is the ultimate combo of safe with fast availability. All you have to do is pull the hammer back the rest of the way. If I wasn't trying to save up for a house, I would finally get that lever action Browning BLR custom made in 416 Taylor. One day I'll do that.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Default bear spray no workie

I've been attacked by a brown and I've been bluffed by a brown. bear spray would work on the bluff charge, but wouldn't even phase an attacking brown, in my opinion. The attacking brownie came through 2 shotgun blasts at point blank range to the chest with slugs. She still was able to take a third as she retreated into the brush. I found her the next day, 10 yards into the brush.
    bear_bite_3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ken R View Post
    I've been attacked by a brown and I've been bluffed by a brown. bear spray would work on the bluff charge, but wouldn't even phase an attacking brown, in my opinion. The attacking brownie came through 2 shotgun blasts at point blank range to the chest with slugs. She still was able to take a third as she retreated into the brush. I found her the next day, 10 yards into the brush.
    bear_bite_3.jpg
    People that haven't experienced a full on charge likely don't fully understand just how quickly and viciously it goes down. Looks like you handled this one well.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

One in the chamber or not is secondary to good training. You can shoot the wings off a mosquito at 100 yards all day from the bench at the range but completely miss a Stop sign at 10 yards if you don’t train for immediate stressful situations. Muzzle discipline, immediate action drills, clearing drills and rapid target acquisition drills are good additions to the standard “sighting in” rituals. Finger off the trigger at all times unless on target. Accidental discharges usually result from poor training. My 2 cents.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Very good, KCB! What he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by KCB View Post
    One in the chamber or not is secondary to good training. You can shoot the wings off a mosquito at 100 yards all day from the bench at the range but completely miss a Stop sign at 10 yards if you don’t train for immediate stressful situations. Muzzle discipline, immediate action drills, clearing drills and rapid target acquisition drills are good additions to the standard “sighting in” rituals. Finger off the trigger at all times unless on target. Accidental discharges usually result from poor training. My 2 cents.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com