Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring Kodiak goats

Default Spring Kodiak goats

So Iím planning on taking my two boys to Kodiak in early March for some spring goat hunting. Looking for a hunt partner to split air charter costs up with and hunt together or not. I have dates set and kinda a clue. I have hunted alaska before and been to Kodiak a couple times as well.
    Lemme know if anyone else is looking to go and team up!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Oh man, I would jump on this but I got 2 things stopping me ... I donít get my residency back until July and in March I will be mid rotation at work ...
    Best of luck to you and your boys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Horns make pi$* poor soup"

Letís do it.

Now I'm really pissed my wife wants a house next year!

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    So Iím planning on taking my two boys to Kodiak in early March for some spring goat hunting. Looking for a hunt partner to split air charter costs up with and hunt together or not. I have dates set and kinda a clue. I have hunted alaska before and been to Kodiak a couple times as well.
    Lemme know if anyone else is looking to go and team up!
    This is the opportunity of a lifetime!! I wish I could do it, but will be heading to Nebraska for the birth of my first grand child in March,

Best of luck, and to whomever gets to go on this trip, I am envious.

Chris R

Will send a pm.

If only I was a resident I would jump all over this!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Did you find anyone?

Iíve got a guy that is gonna let me know tomorrow. A client of mine wants to come along and help my boys on their goat hunting. But is checking with the wife!
    Master guide 212

Can a chubby old guy make it? If so put me down as next on the list. My Wife won't let me hunt by myself any more so I just haven't been going.

I just asked if I could go goat hunting on Kodiak...I might have to fix up the dog house. Her nephew came up with a group to hunt deer a couple of years ago. Two of them were watching from above as another two hunters put the sneek on a deer while a bear followed the hunters.

If my number comes up let me know how much $ to set aside.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardC View Post
    Can a chubby old guy make it?
    Age is only a number, but imo, it totally depends on how "chubby" you think you are. I'm 63, only slightly, what I would consider overweight, if at all, and still work 5 days a week sometimes throwing around 1 1/8" plywood all day, and I still wouldn't want to go unless I put myself on a pretty regimented workout program, like I used to even in my younger guiding days when I knew I would be sheep hunting, or needing to pack out moose or caribou. Only you know how strong you feel, but if you try and kid yourself then you're asking for trouble. It's not so much the little extra weight, but the leg strength and wind you'll need. I'm sure I could go on a goat hunt right now and "probably" do ok, but would I want to knowing how I feel now and still have a good time? Or make sure I got in as good a shape as I could and KNOW I would. Kodiak goat hunting is not like hunting goats in their normal terrain on mainland Alaska, but there WILL be climbing and possibly a lot of it. Try something right now and maybe give yourself an answer to your question. See how hard it is to pump off 50 deep knee bends at a pretty good clip. That should tell you a whole lot about yourself and attempting a hunt like this. I've been wanting to do a Kodiak goat hunt myself for many years, and have been contemplating going with Jake as well. I know I could get in shape, but don't know if I could take the time off work.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Goats are on my list. Always had respect for them.
    Depending on what time in March if Iím done freighting materials to my cabin sounds like a great hunt.

I may have someone lined up, Buddy I snowmachined with a while back is on board.
    Master guide 212

I'm sure you guys will do well. Good luck and be safe.

You may already know this, but be careful with the hides if you are keeping them. We had problems with hair slipping even tho the his was kept really cold. When the taxidermist asked around to some others, they had had similar problems.

Quote Originally Posted by smarion View Post
    You may already know this, but be careful with the hides if you are keeping them. We had problems with hair slipping even tho the his was kept really cold. When the taxidermist asked around to some others, they had had similar problems.
    I take it you mean March goats....correct? Did anybody have any explanation for the hides slipping? Are they already starting to shed their winter coats at this time....wonder if that comes into play?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I had a taxidermist tell me that goats do loosen hair, but that it stays matted with the guard hairs that don't get shed. It comes away from the body and creates an air void for extra insulation. I don't know if that's true, but it made sense to me in theory for them to have extra insulation.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I take it you mean March goats....correct? Did anybody have any explanation for the hides slipping? Are they already starting to shed their winter coats at this time....wonder if that comes into play?
    I donít remember exactly when we went 4mer. My recollection is that the hair is in a pre-shed stage and therefore slips easily. As far as trophy value goes, the beautiful hair is the most important to me. The difference between average and long horns isnít as big a deal as long hair, that hasnít slipped.

Sorry to hijack Jake. Good luck.

Yeah, 4mer is right, unless youíre on some workout regimen you could never handle a goat hunt. Way to hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Muche View Post
    Yeah, 4mer is right, unless youíre on some workout regimen you could never handle a goat hunt. Way to hard.
    Thatís must be why theyíre so unpopular. Letís keep this type of promotion rolling. They taste like a cigarette served in a dirty ashtray as well. Do not recommend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast