Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steelhead pressure

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rav'n Mainiac View Post
    The Labrador found 11 murres, 2 seals, 3 sea otters, some (6) seagulls, and a lot of other stuff, that I did not want to touch. All really nasty stuff.
    My niece does presentations in schools with animal skulls. It's all volunteer. She loves doing at and the kids love it too. She has the kids describe the animal and it's diet based on what they can learn from the skulls. I recently sent her a bear skull, fox, martin and lynx to add to what she already has. A sea otter and seal skull would be awesome.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Rav'n Mainiac View Post
    Rav'n Mainaic:

Once again, I am willing to try take this on, my local friends called me NUTS, been there done it, it is a total waste of time.

It is that important to all of fishermen, guides and locals.
    I have seen the local industry dry up.
    Please send me something that will direct me in the correct direction and information, if it is out there.

I walked the Dead River today with a Labrador Retriever today, she found 11 dead steelhead, we salvaged one, I canned it for her.
    She is trained to search for this stuff.
    This can not be sustained on this small river.

I am looking for something to save these fish before they are not fishable.

The suggestion for Barbless is PERFECT.
    Thank You CMO1997.

I "personally" do not think that limiting fishing to a couple days a week will work, as fishermen come from all over the world to fish here in Alaska.

The weather can ruin a trip, any time if, the rains come, and ONLY two to three days a week are fishing are allowed they will wind another place to fish.

We need them, all, and future fishermen. It does not matter where they are from.

I "personally" think that fishing needs to be allowed for a period of time, so people can "plan a fishing vacation", and adapt if the weather does not work.
    Fall fishing on the ocean can be rough!
    Adding on a halibut trip or feeder king trip can be tough.

I am Not trying to make this a "locals" only fishery.
    I have seen Northern Ca river fishing, it is hard to plan a trip, from 'away' to fish there.

Thanks.
    Please help this fishery.
    Wow 11 dead steelhead?! Thatís not good. My suggestion is have the allowable fishing area moved to fishing below the hwy to the mouth only on all those KP streams. Designate those areas as fly fishing only with crimped bards, and maybe limit the fishery from 6 am to 6pm or something of that nature. Another idea would be to create a steelhead stamp similar to the king stamp if you want fish for for steelhead. I donít know how viable any of these actually are in practice but since ADF&G uses similar regs in different streams to manage other fisheries I donít see why they canít be used to help conserve popular steelhead streams.

These fisheries are strictly regulated for steelhead. Restrictions aimed at reducing time, area, means I seriously doubt that they would be meaningful for the steelhead except for a flat out closure. I don't think anyone is in favor of that. Two areas that would be a noticeable benefit to the steelhead IMO

1) not allow bait during the first weekend openers in May when the steelhead are migrating out and are in poor conditiin from a long winter under the ice. Interesting note that aktally mentions the steelhead season being restricted by BOF cutting off a month of the season (November closure) but fails to mention at the same BOF meetings that extra openers were given in the spring for the Anchor River when bait is allowed.

2) take bait out of the silver fishery at a earlier time than it is done now.

Iím glad to see this thread getting the interest it deserves after sitting virtually silent for a couple days I have found on the river my discussions with other steelheaders that they are traditionally respectful lot.
    Here are my suggestions.
    1. Barbless hooks or pinched barbs.
    2. No bait May, Aug, Sept, Oct. (In my mind, it wouldnít hurt these small rivers to just ban bait all year.)
    3. No bead fishing.
    I believe changing the regs to these rules would be relatively non cumbersome by both regulators and fishermen. Itís better to have a couple small changes now than contemplate major changes all at once later at the cost of the fish.
    To address a couple other thoughts brought up by forum members.... Limiting fishing to below the hiway is not a viable option without upsetting Dolly Varden fishers. As the Dolly fishing coincides with Steel fishing months, times, and areas.
    Limiting days of the week to open fishing would only squeeze more fishermen into the rivers on the given days it would be open. Although that might give some time for some fish to move upriver relatively unscathed.
    I am not in favor of any kind of Ďstampí. We donít need another beaurocracy created to waste our money.
    Keep the ideas coming. Iím glad to see others are concerned for these rivers and fish. And in the meantime, tight lines and keep our rivers clean. Pick up all trash u see even if itís not yours. Show the other fishermen what kind of folks we are!
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

Lower Cook Inlet Board of Fish meetings are slated to be held December / 2019. Looking thru the proposals and at first glance I don't see any submitted proposals regarding the lower peninsula streams steelhead fishing type of things.

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    1. Barbless hooks or pinched barbs.
    2. No bait May, Aug, Sept, Oct. (In my mind, it wouldnít hurt these small rivers to just ban bait all year.)
    3. No bead fishing.
    I get the first 2 rules. But why "no bead fishing"? Just curious what the purpose of that is? My friend doesn't fish beads because he is a purist and only fishes flies that he personally ties, but do you think that bead fishing is harmful to the fish? I've always thought the opposite. Especially since the bead is usually pegged 2" above the hook making the hook attach to the outer lip.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    I get the first 2 rules. But why "no bead fishing"? Just curious what the purpose of that is? My friend doesn't fish beads because he is a purist and only fishes flies that he personally ties, but do you think that bead fishing is harmful to the fish? I've always thought the opposite. Especially since the bead is usually pegged 2" above the hook making the hook attach to the outer lip.
    The argument can be made they slightly less effective then using bait.

I apologize to all of the members and fishermen if I started off incorrectly.
    In my opinion, I noticed more fishermen this year than I have seen before, every day.

My first question: Does something need to change, if the fishery is solid and there are plenty of fish returning, then maybe nothing needs to happen.
    I am not able to find data about steelhead numbers on these small rivers.
    Is there any available? Please help us find something if it exists.

If nothing is available:
    Maybe a volunteer creel survey could be set up for the fishermen to report the catches?
    Could it be reported electronically on the computer to the BOF?

Finding some spent fish, kings, silvers, and steelhead along the banks around the tide line is not uncommon for catch and release, we have seen it on all the rivers for years.

The ideas for future changes are very good and show that we all want to keep this fishery healthy.

With regards to the stuff we locate with the dog on the beaches;
    the Marine Mammal Act of 1972 prohibits the collection of any of the bones, or parts, etc.

I photograph them and leave them where they are.
    I'll gladly show you, if you have the authority to collect them, come along anytime.

regardless if change is necessary, it is nice to have a discussion and be able to propose ideas from a pool that has a wealth of experience. We also need data to prove one way or the other if in fact something needs to be done. I am a firm believer it is better to be proactive then reactive. If those small runs on small streams are being impacted as described, it might not hurt.

Supporting Member

I grew up fishing small streams. IMO that is the best fishing experience. Beats fighting the crowds on the big rivers. Steelhead, Dollies, and Trout.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    I grew up fishing small streams. IMO that is the best fishing experience. Beats fighting the crowds on the big rivers. Steelhead, Dollies, and Trout.
    I agree 100%. Unfortunately, even the small streams are getting totally loved to death. Too many people for too few venues accessible to the average fisherman.

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I agree 100%. Unfortunately, even the small streams are getting totally loved to death. Too many people for too few venues accessible to the average fisherman.
    Small stream out near my cabin had a run of salmon that used to come up in late September. A couple of bozos decided they would be easy pickings to dip net. No more run the past several years.

Below arelinks to staff comments for previous board meetings that dealt with fall seasonclosing dates geared towards steelhead trout fishing. Board of Fish meetinginformation documents is always a good place to start when looking forinformation on potential proposals. There really isnít new information sincethese comments were last written in 2016. There may be some recent weir/sonarcounts of outmigrating (downstream movement) fish targets as well as video weirimages of outmigrating steelhead counts, but the weir hasnít been extended lateinto the fall to assess incoming steelhead.

2016 LCI BOFmeeting RC2 Staff Comments:

Proposals6&7, page 38

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/regulations/regprocess/fisheriesboard/pdfs/2016-2017/lci/rc2.pdf

2013 LCI BOFmeeting RC2 Staff Comments:

Proposal 60,page 10

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/regulations/regprocess/fisheriesboard/pdfs/2013-2014/lci/staff_comments_lci_2013.pdf

2010 LCI BOFmeeting RC2 Staff Comments:

Proposal 38-39,page 149

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=fisheriesboard.meetinginfo&date=11-15-2010&meeting=homer

There are alsosome proposals within these documents that were seeking to change the springking salmon season as well as bait and hook restrictions during the fallseason.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12