Thread: Winter Storage of an HB

Default Winter Storage of an HB

Curious what others do? Do you flip it upside down? Leave it on the trailer and let her fill with snow?
    Looking like its about that time...
    Fighting gravity is never cheap.

Turn it over is best, water can do damage if its trapped tarps leak then freeze and melt can do damage, done quite a bit of repair on boats that were stored tarped and upright. Had a 21 ft wooden boat that snow melt in spring got under floor slats that were nailed in with ring shank nails. Took a section of the bottom out when water refroze.

My 21 ft HB always held water in the middle did not want to run to the stern and did not want to leave any water to freeze so turned it over then tarped it, UV,s are not kind to most boats.

Seen canoe damage from moose walking on overturned canoes, in the winter. Leave it on the trailer and flip it over would be the best and store motor in a shed or garage.

I have seen where tarps reacted with the clear coat on things like snow machines. Also don't set a target up against that hump in the snow and shoot your .22 at it. You might discover that hump of snow was the overturned canoe. I know a guy that did this. Wasn't me.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

And a yearling bull moose assaulted my overturned kayak last fall. It still has the dents.

I built a rack in my yard with treated 3x6s.at three feet off the ground I store the 19 grumman and HB upside down and can move to the ground one end at a time for eventual winching onto the trailer.

Thanks gents.
    Note to self: no targets....LOL!
    Fighting gravity is never cheap.

I leave mine on the trailer upright with a strong slant down to stern and port for any drainage, layer plywood like shingles on top, and place heavy duty tarps on a roof-like frame with sacrificial cheaper tarps on top for uv protection during sunnier seasons when not in use. The inner keel tube is sealed with fiberglass and epoxy as recommended by Mainer. Each Spring since I've had it, it has been dry inside.
    RandyS

Upside down beside the house on a 2 foot platform. I got some ice damage when left right side up on the trailer and also broke a thwart from snow load.

Quote Originally Posted by North61 View Post
    Upside down beside the house on a 2 foot platform. I got some ice damage when left right side up on the trailer and also broke a thwart from snow load.
    I hiked in to Barber cabin a year and a half ago. Some jackwagons had left the canoe sitting upright just before winter. It was full, all ice. I doubt it was ever the same.

Mine is on the trailer , under a shed roof. Stays dry all winter.