Thread: Knives - Guess I'll start here

Default Knives - Guess I'll start here

Hey, looked through all the forum categories and either there isn't a blade forum or I'm blind as all get out. So I'm coming here asking about a few things. I was given a really nice "high end" hunting knife prior to my move to the Fairbanks area 3 years ago: Bark River Bravo 1. Knife has processed out a couple of moose, a Caribou and I'm still looking for an FMA Cow Moose and hopefully a 40 Mile Caribou later this year.
    I love the knife and am convinced I want to go with Convex Grinds henceforth and ever more. So here is where I start.

Anybody else have an experience with Convex Edges? Anybody have experience with Bark River Knives and/or Backjack Knives? I have the Bravo 1 that was given o me, but I think I'm going to be looking for a smaller EDC knife and maybe a second hunting size knife plus probably a large camp/trail knife.

How many knives do you guys carry and what are you carrying? Thanks!

I still carry my trusty old Gerber, but It hasn't left the sheath in the last five years since I bought a Havalon. Havalons and the other replaceable blade razor knives are the ticket in my humble opinion. I hate sharpening knives while trying to quarter a moose.

Ok gents, I've been packing these-2 for quite awhile now, they were both made in the mid-80's in Red Lodge Montana, the Steel is from an old Buckboard/Wagon Spring,,,, I carry a Diamond Tool, and a Arkansas White Stone with me as well,,,,, it doesn't take much, and you can Shave with either one.
    TG

LJ's_Hunting-Knives 001.jpgLJ's_Hunting-Knives 012.jpg
    [ USMC 1st Marine Div. 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi ]

Here is a picture of my Bark River Bravo with Canvas Micarta Handle, and my first hunting knife an Old Western L66 my dad unfortunatley tried to modify before handing it down.
    I love the Bark River, and even with my average sharpening on a strop it stayed sharper then any of my other knives. I carry the Bark and a Strop in the field with two different grit compounds on each side. I'm thinking I want to get a 3 sided strop to use three compounds for fun though it would take a little more space. I love the ease and the longevity of the Convex Edge. I was hoping to find a Convex knife maker or someone familiar with them up here in the interior so I could get some help becoming more competent with their care and to maybe convert a few other knives.

German... OOOO... those are some nice looking knives. They look awesome. Great longevity out of them.

I'm looking at getting an EDC knife next and then a second hunter or a bowie.
    Bravo 1.jpgBravo 1 n Western L66.jpg

Ok then,,,,, looks like you got it figured out anyway, and yea, my 12" Elk leg-bone handle Bowie, is never-off my Belt, and is close at hand when in the Rack, as well as my S&W 329PD, and that Skinner has a Cocobolo Rosewood handle.
    TG
    [ USMC 1st Marine Div. 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi ]

Oooohhhhh man!!! I did a thing and this knife is awesome. Hopefully I can get a Cow with the Population DM788 Archery Hunt to try it out!C7BF0174-F423-4D67-A036-E38AB0E6C83A.jpeg316DCF32-4DD6-455F-A327-FE8F13BE72C3.jpg

Bark River has a good reputation and strong following. Blackjack models their knives on Randal made knives for about 1/5th the cost and no wait. Of course you canít equate quality- they are great knives for the price. I am a certifiable knife nut and have some customs that cost more than some nice guns, and no matter how many I collect , I have favorites. I like convex grind for heavy use like a chopper. If you like your blade, you will carry it! Take care of them and they will take care of you. Donít ever try to justify a new knife purchase- get what you like. Stay safe.