Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wife says I need to buy a cab-over camper. Recommendations??

Quote Originally Posted by orion94us View Post
    Can’t see the attached photo. Ugghhh. Following this post as a slide in camper is in my future as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I only have my phone with me so can't repost it. Heading out to deer hunt.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

We love our Artic Fox 990. It has one slide-out which make a world of difference. There are a few makes with slide-outs, so do your homework and take a few tours before deciding on one. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post

A buddy had a pop up truck camper. We took it out to Wyoming on a deer hunt. It snowed while we were there and then rained. That thing was a little bit better than a tent, but not much.
    I still have an "Alaskan" camper that is as old as I am. They were designed to drive on the Alcan. No canvas top but a nice rounded aluminum roof. It was a great camper that used hydraulics (which still work) to raise and lower the top half to bring down the CG for driving. It has a water tank, gas cook stove, ice box, and small closet. I hauled it up and down the Alcan I think 3 times. I actually spent one winter in the thing when I first moved here. Of course it's seen better days and now is only being used for storage. But I've held onto it with thoughts of refurbishing it someday.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Bigfoot or Northern Lite in that order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought an Adventurer in Whitehorse about 3 years ago. Got it off of a RV rental place it was a year old. They sell a few each fall. Good price figuring in the money exchange. Its a four season camper with large holding tanks. Drove to Texas and back, stayed in some 10 degree weather no problem. Check them out.
    Www.amlrv.com/truck-campers

So, going a bit off topic, but maybe some unsolicited input is worthwhile:

- During my (fortunately fading into the mists of time) Houston sojourn, I did the RV thing. Never had a truck camper but did Travel Trailer, 5th wheel, etc and (good laaawd) was even the "Deputy Wagon Master" for an RV club. All in all spent 10-12 years doing the RV thing in and out of Ewe-stun
    - Would suggest evaluating either travel trailers or 5th wheels: "what type of RV" has been beat to death ("300 or 375" "Supercub or 180" are equivalent discussions) but the benefit of a trailer of some sort is that it allows one to use their pickup as the run-around vehicle while leaving the "camper" somewhere else. This is beneficial if one spends any time exploring small town outside-of-Alaska-USA. (IMO)
    - Whatever RV you get, strongly suggest purchasing it Outside...for various reasons, I'd specifically suggest Houston, Denver, or Jacksonville (FLA). Huge volume dealers there and lots of options for a good used "camper".
    - In my experience, the perceived room in the "camper" experiences a 25 - 40% decrease after 3 days of staying in it: the camper (trailer, whatever) that feels roomy at the sales lot just doesn't feel as roomy after a few days of living in it...
    - The biggest fridge one can get for whatever "camper" you get is the only way to go. When I bought my last "RV", although it was a 5th wheel, one of the key criteria was that it had to have at least the option of a full size fridge...why? Because much of the use was meeting kids/grandkids/inlaws/nephews/nieces and entertaining them...something along what the OP is going to do
    - One thing to decide early on is whether the user is a "by the numbers" person or not: Do you stick within the GVWR of the truck or not? In a way it's like some airplanes: a bit of overload is fine, but too much and the handling characteristics suffer. and while there's lots of informal weight police, there isn't a Camper Weight Authority...but it needs to be the user's decision.....and along those lines, airbags have their uses but they don't increase the numbers.
    - And if you are going to stay within the numbers, that will drive your selection of the "camper" (again, whether cabover, trailer, 5th wheel, etc)
    - If you're going to spend any time in the L48 in summer, get the biggest a/C on the "camper" you can.
    - Whether truck camper, trailer, or 5th wheel...slideouts are the bomb.
    - With a single axle truck, if you decide to stay within numbers, that will limit your choices of truck camper. That being said, some of the makes mentioned already are good: Arctic Fox, BigFoot, Northern Lite but weight considerations may impact what you can handle. FWIW, Northwood Manufacturing makes both the Arctic Fox line and the Wolf Creek Line....more or less the same build quality, but IIRC Wolf Creek is lighter and cheaper.

- Reiterating personal preference, would suggest considering travel trailers and/or 5th wheels as well as truck campers.
    Back in AK

The above post is loaded with GREAT ADVICE!!!!
    DENNY

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12