Thread: To cast? Grinding?

Default To cast? Grinding?

Getting ready to step into the world of sausage. Just wondering about castings that you are using. There are so many kinds and sized that Iím looking for any advice or suggestions about the best kinds and brands? Do you even use them?

On another note one friend suggested to 2x coarse grind. How do you do it? Do you do different grinds for different sausage like breakfast vs Italian or polish?
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I use collagen casings for snack sticks etc. 18 mm I think is what I used. For Brats and dogs I use natural hog casings. I think 28 mm. I cant remember the size. I do a coarse grind then mix the seasoning in the meat then do a finer grind. Then stuff. Preferably with an actual sausage stuffer. A stuffer makes sausage making so much less tiresome.

I found grinding twice to not be necessary. I mix the spices into the chunks of meat then grind. Then mix in a meat mixer, then stuff into casings. If you want to make sausage with casings you really need a stuffer unless you only work with very small quantities. It all takes time and the right equipment. If you want to go cheap and easy skip the casings and just make sausage patties. For brats i use 30-32mm natural hog casings, summer sausage i use 3lb 2.5" collagen casings. Buying the prepackaged splice blends is cheap and easy. I just go to Amazon prime and order stuff now. If you really get into sausage making you can dry cure and make salami and landjagers! Ive done all of it over the years. Its fun but time consuming and not cheap
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sausage Stuffer and meat ready to grind into fresh sausages

couple different kinds of moose salami

Summer Sausage and Landjagers

100% moose summer sausage. No pork. Added olives stuffed with jalapeno and garlic. Delicious!

We got everything from alaska butcher supply in anchorage. They have all the different types of casings you would need. A few years ago we coarse ground mixed everything up then fine ground. This year we coarse ground mixed in the seasonings and then stuffed and i think the consistency turned out better this year. We use a cabelas carnivore grinder and it comes with a sausage stuffer turbo prop that works well for us. Makes a stuffed link in about 10 seconds or so, turn it of give the caseing a few twists then turn it on and stuff the next link. Helps to have 2 people for the way we do it.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Predator control curious on how you are dry curing your salami. Are you using a mini fridge or have you made something on your own. I was looking at getting a wine fridge to do it in. Are your cured salamiís all moose or do you add anything, Iím really interested in trying to cure my own meats.

Quote Originally Posted by catchfish View Post
    Predator control curious on how you are dry curing your salami. Are you using a mini fridge or have you made something on your own. I was looking at getting a wine fridge to do it in. Are your cured salamiís all moose or do you add anything, Iím really interested in trying to cure my own meats.
    I made my own drying chamber out of an old but working freezer pretty much following directions from this web site
    http://lpoli.50webs.com/
    Ive made 100% moose salami with great sucess. But also great sucess adding up to 20% pork. I prefer the using all moose though. I just followed the instructions and recipe and ive never had a bad batch. I would advise not to take any short cuts because dealing with unrefridgerated aged meat over weeks at a time needs to be done right or people can get sick. It is quite a process and you do need to buy a couple different types of cure. Its best to read everything on the web site first.